Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Edge

need cheap, smooth material for outside shooting!

Okay guys, after moving into a downgraded house, i have basically NOWHERE to practice my shooting! Only area is in my backyard on the side of my house. Problem is that it's all rock over there. Any suggestions for what to lay down to shoot off of into my net? I'd LIKE to use my stick that I use on the ice(a OPS) so i'd like the surface to be as smooth as possible!

Thanks for any help!

Go to home depot before you order something online. I'm sure you can find something decent for a reasonable price. Look in the bath tub and shower section. I have a sheet that was leftover from when my dad redid our shower that is great for shooting. One side is really smooth plastic, and the other side looks almost like particle board. It is about 1/16 inches thick and is pretty flexible, so you may have to attach it to plywood if you don't have a flat surface.

Just don't waste your time on any cheap thin plastic sheet--it will only last a week!

Something bonded to plywood would be strong, but it might peel if it got wet, hence the need for something designed for a shower stall, etc.

The best is a sheet of polypropolene--that is what they make synthetic ice out of. Sheet needs to be at least 1/4" thick,and thicker is better.

Or get the biggest piece of lexan you can find, that stuff is indestructable.

I'd got to Home Depot, buy some linoleum remanant, a quarter sheet of particle board, and whatever glue they use to glue linoleum down. Lay the linoleum face down on a smooth flat surface (like a basement floor.) Spread the glue around the back side of the linoleum. Lay the plywood on top. Put some weight (books, boards, bags of dog food, etc.) on top of the board and let it dry.

That should give you a good bond so it will resist peeling apart.

Linoleum comes in different thicknesses. Try and go with the thicker variety. If you can find a thick one with a glossy finish, even better.

What do you guys wear on your feet? Inline skates?

I always felt that working on my shot with my shoes on gave me a false sense of balance. Also won't the change in elevation affect the lie on your stick?

i would be using no skates....yes the lie and all that junk isn't the same, but i think i know what i'm doing enough to figure it out when i get back on the ice ;)

Rusty, thanks, but unfortunately it is not going to be on concrete. the "shooting range" is going to be in rocks basically and i'm looking for as big of a sheet of something smooth as i can to cover it.

If you buy anything, and you want to make it more ice-like, you can just get some silicone spray and spray it on. Makes the stuff really slippery.

Edge, I only meant lay it on concrete when you are building it.

Once it is glued and dried you could take it outside and the plywood backing will give you a flat surface anywhere.