Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

RBK 6k Shaft

Background: 6' 160lbs, first time using a composite anything (shaft or OPS).

Shaft: RBK 6K Pro-Feel, regular flex

Test Blades: Easton Synergy II blade

Weight/Balance: I've used wood sticks the entire time I've played hockey (10+ years) so I was expecting quite a difference in weight. Of course the shaft by itself is way lighter then any wood stick, but with the synergy blade the weight savings drop. Sure, it's still lighter then a wood stick but I would not say it's earth shattering. As stated before, I've never used another composite shaft so I can't compare the 6k to anything other composite shaft. The balance was great for me. Naturally it's heavier by the blade, but it's not drastic enough to throw your feel off.

8/10 just because a lot of that extra weight came from the blade

Shooting/Passing/Stickhandling: Initially I was pretty worried about just jumping into a full composite setup from wood, luckily I didn't have anything to worry about. I have not noticed any negative impact on my passing, shooting or stick handling that would be caused by the shaft (the blade took some getting used to however). I am not the heaviest guy though so I would potentially of liked a little softer flex BUT I can't complain about the regular flex. The pro-feel grip doesn't bother me although I can't say it actually has helped me. Without gloves it felt pretty tacky, but once I got out on the ice I didn't even notice it which I think is a good thing. 9/10

Durability: So far this shaft has held up to everything an adult league can throw at it. I tend to spend my fair share of time in front of the net so this shaft has taken a good bit of hacks to it. The only evidence are scuff marks over the lower portion, no chips or anything. 10/10

Conclusion: I've been very happy with this shaft and wish I would have purchased a couple at the price hockey giant was giving them away at. I would have no problem recommending this shaft to another player.

Overall: 9/10

Background: 5'10", 185 pound defenceman, fourth time around for shafts, can't afford to keep buying OPS

Previous shafts: TPS Rubber, Easton Z-Bubble (backup), Easton Ultra-Lite

Shaft: RBK 6K Pro Feel Taper Shaft

Blade: Easton Pro Stock Synthesis -Styles curve

Weight/Balance

What I love aboot this shaft was that it was a long shaft without a butt end. All my other shafts came with one, but added weight, although previous blades were all wood or hybrids, so it helped make my old shafts non blade heavy. When I picked up the RBK, I put on the Easton Synthesis and found that the weight was pretty darn close to many OPS. Cut off aboot 1 inch off top. Added Tacki-Mac grip which helped balanced out a bit more less blade heavy. Totally lighter than my Z-Bubble set up just because of the wood butt end on the Easton.

10/10

Shooting/Passing/Stick handling

Shooting is great with a low kick taper shaft/blade setup. Better velocity and heavier shot than my Z-Bubble (my aim sucks cuz...my aim sucks). Passing I find is very similar to other sticks, it may be more of a technique thing then the stick. However, with this setup I find stick handling is great because of the overall less weight (similar to OPS) and great balance. Much better than with my Z-Bubble. OPS performance in a two piece.

10/10

Durability

RBK used a graphite sock onto the mold vs using a sheets, so there is no seam. Does it make it stronger? I guess so. Can't tell. But I do like the finish of the shaft, it's taken a lot of hits, scrapes and dings and it's looking better than any of my Easton sticks. I find with the grips on the Eastons end somewhere closer to the end of the shaft, and this allows the shaft to take more damage. The whole shaft grip makes the shaft a bit heavier, but protects it better.

9/10

Conclusion

Will this stick make you a better hockey player? Sure, why not, it's all in your head. Will it make you shoot/pass/stick handle better? Uh, I think your level of skill is more a determining factor. Tired of buying OPS and ruining your blade and thinking, "now if I can only replace the blade and git back on the ice"...then this is the shaft for you.

9.5/10

Cheers