Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackymc

Bruised Ankle

So I've been skating on in my skates for about 4 months now around twice a week and I never had a problem until the last few months. A spot on my left ankle hurts when I touch it but doesn't bother me normally when I walk about. However, when I lace up my skates, the skates seem to agravate it and it hurts cause the side of the boot touch that spot every time I take a stride. It feels tender like its bruised but I don't really see any swelling or any marks. I'm basically limping these days on the ice and its getting worse every time I go on the ice.

Could there be something wrong with my skates that is causing this? I don't remember taking a puck in the ankle or anything and this has never happened to me with other skates I've worn. :(

I have the same problem. I have found that it happens to me if I don't tighten my skates enough. My ankle seems to be to high up and bruises. It takes about a week to heal and if I do it again the next time I skate, I start the cycle all over again <_<

The doc in my case says that my skate has irritated an old ankle injury and a calcium deposit has started to form. He's sending me for x-rays. Not sure what the treatment is once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Having my boot punched near the injury has helped with comfort a lot.

The doc in my case says that my skate has irritated an old ankle injury and a calcium deposit has started to form. He's sending me for x-rays. Not sure what the treatment is once the diagnosis is confirmed.

Having my boot punched near the injury has helped with comfort a lot.

Calcium deposits are basically just bone spurs. I think i've got one on each ankle on the outside, right above the acutal ankle joint.

Only true solution is surgery, where they cut open the skin, and literally grind the bone back down. I had to have it done on my foot a couple years ago because of an old soccer stress fracture.

I'm not sure i'll bother getting these fixed unless they begin to hurt too much.

So do calcium deposits hurt? I mean this feels almost exactly like a bruise. It doesn't feel like there's a lump there..

Mine only hurt when wearing skates before getting the boot punched. It did kind of feel like a bruise on my ankle and although my skates did not break the skin, my ankle was always red and somewhat tender after playing.

I'm just afraid that the deposit will continue to grow and start irritating me again in my skates. I assume there's only so far a boot can be punched out.

Is it on the inside or the outside ankle? I'm wearing mission 9500s for roller at the moment. They're fairly new so probably not fully broken in yet but they're causing exactly the same problem. It's like the cuff of the skate presses against the spot just above the outside ankle on my left foot. Tightening the skates in the top few eyelets a bit more certainly helps but I think with time and more break-in it will go away......hopefully. The skates are uber-stiff afterall and up to this point break in has been a breeze.

For me its my inner ankle.. on the outer side of my feet around the cuff I have some small scars from rubbing from my skates.. it WAS raw before but when I started wearing longer socks, it went away.. it wasn't the same issue cause that was rubbing.. this doesn't seem like rubbing..

no mine doesn't seem like rubbing either. It's more like a pressure bruise than from friction. I think it's because the skates are so stiff. What kind of skates are you using?

Calcium deposits or bone spurs themselves do not hurt. What happens is the pressure from a particular spot on the skate will usually cause discomfort because there is a "lump" on the bone, so the pressure point is directly on that spot.

Can you feel any sort of lump on the bone itself? That's the realy question, and if not, it's posisble that its just the beginning of something like this forming.

If that's the case, i'd check with a doctor, but you may need to consider either wrapping your ankles before you play, or getting new skats that don't hit the same spot.

With me, it's too late. The spurs are already there, so my only hope is eihter finding more confortable skates, being more careful when i lace up, or surgery, and i'm not doing surgery. If you were to stop playing for a week or two, you'd see that the pain goes away as well.

I'm using Synergy 700 skates

I went and checked it out with a doctor and he sent me to the lab for x-rays.. I'll see in a week or so if it really is a calcium deposit or not. The doc said that he couldn't really see anything that was seperated from the bone so it could be a new growth

It could possibly be a little lump.. but when I compare my two feet it doesn't seem like there's any abnormal growth..

I also took my skates to the hockey shop and got that problem area punched out.. It feels alot roomier there now but I can't tell if it'll fix the problem or not cause that spot is still tender from hockey last night.. I suspect that it would go away after a week or two.. but a week or two away from the rink is gonna kill me.. haha :lol:

I am experiencing the exact same problem. At first it was only the left inner ankle that would hurt. The pain would come only with skates on. I could walk, run and workout normally otherwise, discounting a little stiffness after skating. It would always hurt to push in the stride because of the extra pressure on the inside of the skate. IT got so bad that I dare not turn because it felt like my ankle would snap. I didn't get it sorted straight away because I thought it was just a bruise. In part I shrugged it off a little because I was about to get new skates, and thought the pain was being caused by wear and tear in my old pair.

I figured if I gave it enough time to heal everything would clear up. Time is a great healer, I thought I wasn't giving the recovery long enough. As it happend I was going travelling for 6 months so I wouldn't be able to play hockey anyways. After coming back and skating again it was fine. BUT the second skate I could tell it had not gone away.

I knew there was something wrong and i wish I had sorted it out at the start. I did see my physio and a doctor. They were confused that I couldn't skate without pain, but could run jump and move it however pain free. My ankle now has a spur, looks a lot more pointed than it used to, and there is a very concentrated red area after taking off my skates. I haven't had surgery, I kinda want to avoid that. I now wear a sports ankle brace. Nothing rigid, more like a neoprene sock that velcros around my ankle and that has significantly reduced the pain.

I read the first post and it sounded EXACTLY like what i had and thought maybe 12 months ago. Get it sorted now if you can, or at least make pre-cautionary steps. I will try a custom punching on my next pair of saktes to see how that helps my situation. I have also considered Kors or the RBK pumps, something that will form better and be more padded against the ankle.

I'm using Synergy 700 skates

I went and checked it out with a doctor and he sent me to the lab for x-rays.. I'll see in a week or so if it really is a calcium deposit or not. The doc said that he couldn't really see anything that was seperated from the bone so it could be a new growth

It could possibly be a little lump.. but when I compare my two feet it doesn't seem like there's any abnormal growth..

I also took my skates to the hockey shop and got that problem area punched out.. It feels alot roomier there now but I can't tell if it'll fix the problem or not cause that spot is still tender from hockey last night.. I suspect that it would go away after a week or two.. but a week or two away from the rink is gonna kill me.. haha :lol:

I am wearing the Vapor 30. I found out yesterday after I got off the ice after 5 minutes that these skates aren't deep/high enough. My ankles are actually about 1 inch back from the eyelits, my ankle rests on the line were the padding is stiched. I also found out because of my supronation my inside ankles are higher or tilted up (DR. confirmed this.) so back to Size 8 EE bauer 8090. this boot is actualy a little to deep but as soon as I put these on my feet even with my ankle pissed off---No pain. I am just going to Move the LS holder over 2mm so this keeps me from purchasing new holders. Just wondering if any of you guys are having this problem because of boot depth/height.

They used to call that the "Bauer bump", but since bauer redesigned the heal of their skates aroung 4 years ago it is less of a problem. The correct medical term is "haglund's deformity". It has been discussed before on this site.

Basically, if you keep rubbing your foot in the same place, fluid builds up. After some time (months) the fluid gets replaced with a bone spur. If the bone spur gets bad enough, you will need surgery to remove it. If the spur has not formed yet, relieving the pressure and icing it a lot will eventually make the fluid sack go away.

You relieve the pressure by punching out the skate inside where it rubs (a good skate repair place can do this), putting a big "C" Clamp on your skate overnight to compress the lining, or wear big fluffy socks or a silicone shield over your foot.

They used to call that the "Bauer bump", but since bauer redesigned the heal of their skates aroung 4 years ago it is less of a problem.  The correct medical term is "haglund's deformity".  It has been discussed before on this site.

Basically, if you keep rubbing your foot in the same place, fluid builds up.  After some time (months) the fluid gets replaced with a bone spur.  If the bone spur gets bad enough, you will need surgery to remove it.  If the spur has not formed yet, relieving the pressure and icing it a lot will eventually make the fluid sack go away. 

You relieve the pressure by punching out the skate inside where it rubs (a good skate repair place can do this), putting a big "C" Clamp on your skate overnight to compress the lining, or wear big fluffy socks or a silicone shield over your foot.

I don't have bone spurs, I might if I keep wearing the vapors. My inside ankles are too close to the Eyelits.

And I would like to add that the search engine on this site sucks.....I have typed in letter by letter exctally what I saw posted or posted myself and had to scroll through 3-5 pages before finding what I am looking for.

They used to call that the "Bauer bump", but since bauer redesigned the heal of their skates aroung 4 years ago it is less of a problem. The correct medical term is "haglund's deformity". It has been discussed before on this site.

Basically, if you keep rubbing your foot in the same place, fluid builds up. After some time (months) the fluid gets replaced with a bone spur. If the bone spur gets bad enough, you will need surgery to remove it. If the spur has not formed yet, relieving the pressure and icing it a lot will eventually make the fluid sack go away.

I always though that the "bauer bump" was on the heel, just outside of center - not the actual ankle. But sure it will be the same process, just more noticable and painful on the ankle. The one on my heel is painless and much softer, more of a tissue or fluid build up, not an actual calcium deposit.

They used to call that the "Bauer bump", but since bauer redesigned the heal of their skates aroung 4 years ago it is less of a problem.  The correct medical term is "haglund's deformity".  It has been discussed before on this site.

Basically, if you keep rubbing your foot in the same place, fluid builds up.  After some time (months) the fluid gets replaced with a bone spur.  If the bone spur gets bad enough, you will need surgery to remove it.  If the spur has not formed yet, relieving the pressure and icing it a lot will eventually make the fluid sack go away. 

I don't have bone spurs, I might if I keep wearing the vapors. My inside ankles are too close to the Eyelits.

And I would like to add that the search engine on this site sucks.....I have typed in letter by letter exctally what I saw posted or posted myself and had to scroll through 3-5 pages before finding what I am looking for.

For the search engine next time, put what you wanted said in parenthesis. Should give that exact phrase, and click "within post" or closest term.

For the search engine next time, put what you wanted said in parenthesis. Should give that exact phrase, and click "within post" or closest term.

Thanks! I'll do that next time :D I thought it was just me.