Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wickedwrister

Anybody ever Figureskate?

Before you call me all kinds of less than manly names...........

I am watching some Olympic coverage (men's figure skating) and MY GOD!!! these guys have got some sic cross-unders and all around skilz. Anyone ever cross train w/ figure skating or a FS coach?

Just chiming in,..

I'm recovering from a hip injury and have been just putzing around at my local rink during my lunch break from work. It's usually just me (in my hockey skates) and three or four figure skaters.

Honestly, I can't help but feel like a dumb ox out there carving up the ice while they just float on it. Not to forget to mention that the girls are absolutly beautiful.

Just my 2 cents.

I crosstrained with a figureskating coach for a while. She coaches the national icelantic team at my rink. A lot of people didnt understand why I did it, but she helped me so much with my edge control and my overall stride. Not just that she was more ruthless(sp) than any coach that Ive ever had. Those coaches might look like pushovers, but they definitely arent.

If only I could have that kind of edge control.

it is true, the figure skaters are really sick skaters and can be quite good at instructing the finer parts of skating techniques...amazing to watch them teach the little guys (5-9 year olds)…

although I have played hockey with a guy who used to be a figure skater, and although he skated around most of us, the pirouettes at the blue line didn't go over to well, he got his bell wrung a couple times and we haven’t seen him since. :ph34r:

The other night I was watching the Ducks game and they announcers said when Scott Niedermayer was little he did power skating and some figure skating.

Must have worked for him. He's hands down one of the top-5 smoothest, fastest skaters in the league. In a league with Paul Coffey no doubt.

Kurt Browning (and I think Elvis Stojko) played hockey before they took to Figure Skating full time. So if figure skatng will make a hockey player smoother...maybe the hockey background accounts for some of Elvis' & Kurt's power.

I did it to learn to skate from 7-9 yrs old....my mom said I couldn't play hockey unless I could skate properly. Smart woman. I couldn't have near the angle control in my teens without it. Now its just sloppy mens league stride like anyone else. My sis was a national level fig skater too.

Bobby Orr is another famous great skater that started in figure skating.

My old team use to make everyone take lessons to a certain level, i went as high as it did before starting to join the team, it does wonders, i'm thinking of doing some again this year along with power skating, it helped my balance so much, usually i can skate rings around my peers

I've played pickup with one of the figure skating instructors at my rink and he can easily skate circles around all guys and he's so fast backwards it was pretty impressive. I guess he used to play Jr Hockey and then went on to figure skate professionally, not to mention if you're straight in the figure skating world you get your choice of honeys.

My friends brother is Shawn Sawyer, he skated for Canada these Olympics and finished right in front of Sandhu in 12th place.

I used to go to these power skating camps and this figure skater would run them. She was a 50 year old woman with incredible balance and finesse. She was such a hard ass though. We called her the dragon lady :blink:

I did it to learn to skate from 7-9 yrs old....my mom said I couldn't play hockey unless I could skate properly. Smart woman. I couldn't have near the angle control in my teens without it.

My mother did the exact same thing. Looking back, making me take figure skating lessons with the sister for a few years definitely helped my stride. My skating is by far my best (and maybe only :P ) asset.

And let's not forget Tammy and Tommy Duncan in Mighty Ducks 1, they figure skated before they played with D-5. :P