Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
cougarscaptain87

Custom Skates / Ice to Inline Conversion

Before I started doing a lot of pairs of skates for myself and other people I would just go to Ace Hardware. Then I realized that it was not exactly cost effective and purchased a ton from an online retailer. It is not that difficult, I would just take your time and be sure to line up everything properly. If you cannot find the hardware anywhere near you I can sell you some of mine for pretty cheap.

Question: I'm assuming T-nuts are used on the inside of the skate. What do you use on the outside? And I suppose T-nuts have different lengths as well, so which is good to use?

I am at a loss when it comes to selecting a boot for a sprung conversion with a similar fit to my 8D AC3 skates that I very much like. I just can't see these missions staying stiff with the hours I put on skates. I skate 5 days a week(rec skating ref, and league play) so ice boot durability is a very attractive.

My primary concern is with depth. The high end AC line seem to have lots of volume and I am not sure what ice boots will give a similar fit. Which $200-450 skate would make the best platform and provide similar fit? So tempted by the 14ks, supremes, or some Grafs.

I am at a loss when it comes to selecting a boot for a sprung conversion with a similar fit to my 8D AC3 skates that I very much like. I just can't see these missions staying stiff with the hours I put on skates. I skate 5 days a week(rec skating ref, and league play) so ice boot durability is a very attractive.

My primary concern is with depth. The high end AC line seem to have lots of volume and I am not sure what ice boots will give a similar fit. Which $200-450 skate would make the best platform and provide similar fit? So tempted by the 14ks, supremes, or some Grafs.

I believe the Mission AC series is based off a Bauer Supreme last. You might be able to find a pair of One100s at the higher end of your price range.

I should be able to find it. Did you use 4 prong or 3 prong t nuts? I can't believe this isn't a standard thing way easier than rivets and in terms of swapping holders it seems like a pretty easy way to do it. Did you order them from mcmaster-carr?

I used the 3 prong T-Nuts for an 8-32 machine screw. These are FAR superior to rivets. I think rivets are used because they are effective, have a cheaper material cost, and they are faster in terms of production. I forgot where I ordered them from because it was so long ago.

Question: I'm assuming T-nuts are used on the inside of the skate. What do you use on the outside? And I suppose T-nuts have different lengths as well, so which is good to use?

Yes, the T-Nuts are used on the inside of the skate underneath the footbed. For the outside I use a pan head, allen machine screw and a lock washer. I used to add red thread locker to all of the screws, but found it was a rather pointless step. If you are not using a lock washer, red thread locker is a must. I will measure everything when I get home, but I use all 8-32 hardware for added strength. I have 1/2" and 3/4" length screws if my memory serves me correct.

I believe the Mission AC series is based off a Bauer Supreme last. You might be able to find a pair of One100s at the higher end of your price range.

If you are looking for good boot volume go with a EE width in the Bauer Supreme line like althoma has recommended. I am very happy with the fit in my new Bauers coming from Reeboks.

Edited by greasy17

Picked up my chassis from the powder coater yesterday and finshed up the install on the boots. Just waiting for my wheels and laces to come in, they should be here by the end of next week.

RBK2_zpsf0079e4a.jpg

RBK1_zps7a61261b.jpg

what did you use to hold the chassis down cause they almost look like the graf rms screws?

Can you buy just the chassis from alkali?

no but I'm looking to buy a boot only so if you're interested in taking all the bottom half..shoot me a pm ^^

what did you use to hold the chassis down cause they almost look like the graf rms screws?

I use a pan head, allen machine screw and a lock washer into T-Nuts.

Seldom does the screw potrude through the top of the T-Nut, but even if it does it is not even noticeable.

does it hold well? it seems like it would hold with a lil lock tight but would riviting and coppering it be better you think?

I know a couple of people a few pages back were talking about converting some EQ50's I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures and/or other experiences with this. I am particularly interested in converting a pair of EQ40's. Thanks in advance!

I know a couple of people a few pages back were talking about converting some EQ50's I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures and/or other experiences with this. I am particularly interested in converting a pair of EQ40's. Thanks in advance!

I converted a pair of EQ50's. Will try to post some pics today.

does it hold well? it seems like it would hold with a lil lock tight but would riviting and coppering it be better you think?

It holds extremely well and rivets are garbage when compared to T-Nuts/machine screws in my opinion. I do not use Loctite on the screws, instead I use a lock washer. I have been using the T-Nut/machine screw combo for over 7 years and never had an issue.

Here is the pictures of the EQ50's I said I would post. Loving them so far, took a game to get used to the 80/76 setup. Got a great deal to have the local pro shop put em on for me ($20).

SAM_0768.jpg

SAM_0769.jpg

SAM_0770.jpg

Hey everybody,

i will convert my Graf Ultra G7 ice skate and would love to get some feedback from you.Am I on the right track?

I looked at some of the pictures in this thread and some of these skates are fantastic!

Here is the plan:

• Get the A7 Sprung Frame (My G7 ice skate is Size 9.5)
  • Use an All 80MM wheel setup

Has anybody tried this setup on a Graf G7 skate or a similar skae? Will this setup work with the desired wheel size?

Are there any real alternatives to the Sprung frames, like the Hummer 900 Chassis? Especially when it comes to the distance between wheels and shoe.My hockey shop adviced me not to buy an all 80 MM setup.The reason was the he was not sure if the wheels would touch the skate with an all 80 MM setup.

What would you do if you were in my shoes :smile: ?

Is there someone who knows when the A7 Sprung Frame will be available again?

Regards,

Shoo

Shoo I cannot speak intelligently on the Graf skates or Sprung frames, but will offer some general advice. You can use a Hummer/Sprung frame and if the wheels touch in any spot on the bottom of the sole, you can Dremel out the area where there are points of contact. This should not have any ill effects on the integrity of the boot. Just try to pick the appropriate size chassis to your boot size, which in most cases will be a size medium will fit the 9.5 skate. I think the Sprung frame's current availability is limited to people's personal setups that they are selling. As far as I know Sprung is out of stock and any newly manufactured frames are far out.

Good luck on the conversion and post up pics!!!

Edited by greasy17

Hey everybody,

i will convert my Graf Ultra G7 ice skate and would love to get some feedback from you.Am I on the right track?

I looked at some of the pictures in this thread and some of these skates are fantastic!

Here is the plan:

• Get the A7 Sprung Frame (My G7 ice skate is Size 9.5)
  • Use an All 80MM wheel setup

Has anybody tried this setup on a Graf G7 skate or a similar skae? Will this setup work with the desired wheel size?

Are there any real alternatives to the Sprung frames, like the Hummer 900 Chassis? Especially when it comes to the distance between wheels and shoe.My hockey shop adviced me not to buy an all 80 MM setup.The reason was the he was not sure if the wheels would touch the skate with an all 80 MM setup.

What would you do if you were in my shoes :smile: ?

Is there someone who knows when the A7 Sprung Frame will be available again?

Regards,

Shoo

You shouldn't have any clearance issues with an a7, assuming you can get your hands on them. All the clearance is more or less built into the chassis.

Here is the pictures of the EQ50's I said I would post. Loving them so far, took a game to get used to the 80/76 setup. Got a great deal to have the local pro shop put em on for me ($20).

Thanks for posting the pics! They look awesome! I was wondering if they were able to use any of the existing holes? It seems like some of the new rivets fall close to where the old holes would be but it's hard to tell.

Having trouble deciding between converting an EQ40 or going with a supreme boot... the price of the EQ40's is really making me lean that way =p

I am frustrated at hockey giant. I purchased a pair of One.9 and Reebok White K skates for inline conversions yesterday but on the way to the checkout some other kid came in and purchased the last medium frame(and was promised installation by the NEXT day after I heard 3 days seconds earlier) that they had set aside for us as our $1000 in skates were baking. The manager rung him up and only realized that he screwed up and sold my frame when I finally finished cooking the skates. Well he promised he would take a trip the the warehouse to get me a frame so I could be skating this week. Unfortunately I went back today to pick them up only to find out the manager lied and it would be days before the frame even arrived to be installed and even then they couldn't give me a reasonable date for the install. As I was leaving the kid who took the last frame showed up and picked up his One.4 conversions.

I was livid. I walked out with a magnesium frame out of my pocket and with the intent to install them myself, but I've hit a snag. First finding the hardware is a bitch and expensive if I approach it quickly and spend $2 per tnut at the hardware store instead of waiting for mcmaster-carr. Second I can't for the life of me remove the rivets without feeling like I will end up destroying the boots.

Who else can I pay to have hilo frames installed around South Jersey? I just want to play this weekend and I've lost too much time to a bad manager at Hockey Giant. Fortunately the kids there the next day who delivered the bad news are nice guys so I just couldn't act as mad as I felt. This guy lost a customer who had purchased $2500 in equipment in a month over a one time visitor who did not even get his skates there. Not the best way to operate.