Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HockeyDude1712

collar bone

do exactly what the doctor says. I know that sounds dumb, but I have tried to jump back early before from stuff as well as countless people I know and it rarely turns out good

I broke mine this year. I started skating again at 8 weeks and played my first game at 10 weeks.

Resist the temptation to go back too soon. You should only play when both shoulders are of equal strength -- in all ranges of motion.

Do an online search for broken collar bone and exercises for the unstable shoulder so you can learn.

Good luck.

Your bone has to be immobilized to heal. When I broke mine there was a strap like thing that held the shoulders back and let the arms hang down. That is necessary to let the bone heal at the proper length. You do not want to sling your arm.

If you keep moving and trying to play and or do strength training too soon, the two sides of the bone injury will grind together and smooth themselves down so that it will not heal correctly. You'll have a little bump there for a few years and then over time it will fade away so that you reallyhave to look for it to find it. Been there too......

To add to my previous post, I broke my right one. Then I came back, probably a little to early, and re-broke in the exact same spot. Just as others have said, don't rush. I rushed it and was out for 2 extra months.

I broke both collar bones at different times. The last time we were at a tourney and I had a slapshot from one of the hardest shots in the league miss my pads and busted it clean in half. Adreneline kept me in the last 5 minutes or so of the game (my back-up was playing defense and so I had to stay in net). I was stubborn and wouldnt go to the ER and got dopped up good before the next game and wouldn't let my unreliable backup play. We ended up like 2nd or 3rd, but I still have problems and a huge knot where the bone never got set right.

Bottom line, don't be an idiot and continue to play on it like I do with my broken bones/injuries and follow your docotors advice. It will save you alot of pain and discomfort in the future..