Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Langenbrunner15

Lake Placid

the 32' and 80' rinks are the two main rinks in the olympic ice hockey complex. The 32 and 80 refer to the years of the olympics held there. Hence if you play on the 80 ice you're skating on the ice where the miracle happened. I'm not sure where the other rinks are.

damn JR beat me ;)

Also the 80 rink is much nicer seating wise the 32 rink is pretty small in that regard.

Those are the names for the three rinks at the center's complex: 1932, 1980, USA rinks. 1932 and 1980 were the olympic years. The USA rink is more of a practice rink. All great sheets of ice.

Other's beat me to it, sorry.

All the locker rooms are similar, a few larger. It is hard to tell which ones were used by USA and Russia. Someone around there would know, I imagine.

USA and 80's rink are the same rink. That's the rink where they beat the Soviets. The 32 rink is the rink in the original building that the 32 Olympics were played in. The other rink is behind the 80's rink. It has curling circles and hockey lines.

Those are the names for the three rinks at the center's complex: 1932, 1980, USA rinks. 1932 and 1980 were the olympic years. The USA rink is more of a practice rink. All great sheets of ice.

Is the USA rink that dinky sheet in the corner off to the right of the 32 rink? That think looks way small and it did not look like there were boards there when I was there, but I wasnt there for hockey.

Is the USA rink that dinky sheet in the corner off to the right of the 32 rink? That think looks way small and it did not look like there were boards there when I was there, but I wasnt there for hockey.

No, it's in the newer part of the complex behind the 80's rink.

Is the USA rink that dinky sheet in the corner off to the right of the 32 rink?  That think looks way small and it did not look like there were boards there when I was there, but I wasnt there for hockey.

No, it's in the newer part of the complex behind the 80's rink.

OK I never walked that far around when I was there.

I think Saranac is the rink that isnt in the complex of the town.  You have to drive there.  It was a nice rink last time I was there though.

yes u r correct it is about 15 - 20 mins away. its an okay rink not as great as the others. Langenbrunner15 where are u staying. also i dont think when i was there you couldnt distinguish between the us and soviet locker rooms. its a good time.

Most of the hotels are within walking distance to the rinks. Northwoods is no different. It is a nice village with a lot of great restaurants. Playing hockey there is truly inspiring.

My kid lived in LP, played hockey and went to school there for two years:

www.nationalsportsacademy.com

The 1932 and 1980 are Olympic-sized ice sheets, the USA is an NHL-sized sheet. The 1980 is where the Miracle game was played. Both the 32 and 80 rinks are nice to watch a game, the USA is not spectator friendly. The 1980 rink in particular can be kinda warm for players, surprising given how cold it often is outside in LP.

Northwoods Inn is OK right on the main street, the nicest hotels in town are Mirror Lake Inn, the Hilton, Best Western and Lake Placid Summit Inn. My fave restaurants in town are Nicola's On Main (Italian/Mediterranean) and Luna Loca (Mexican). Check out also the Lake Placid Pub & Brewery.

If you're going this month, not sure what kind of winter they've had this year but Mirror Lake usually stays frozen until early April and you can play pond hockey on the lake right across from the National Sports Academy school. They also have outdoor skating on the oval on weekends, dogsled rides on Mirror Lake and a really fun toboggan (you go sliding down a chute and go flying across Mirror Lake). Dress warm.

If you're going this month, not sure what kind of winter they've had this year but Mirror Lake usually stays frozen until early April and you can play pond hockey on the lake right across from the National Sports Academy school. They also have outdoor skating on the oval on weekends, dogsled rides on Mirror Lake and a really fun toboggan (you go sliding down a chute and go flying across Mirror Lake). Dress warm.

As of now i'm sitting in my hotel room in lake placid, waiting to go to bed, we play in the championship game tomorrow. and as of all the thigns said about doing, we got gipped, we weren't able to skate or do pond hockey it's been lightly snowing, about an inch a day, and they won't clear off the ponds, and agreed Dress very warmly, also if you're going to the crown plaza, beware of a huuuge hill, very hard to walk up with your bag.