Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reaper07

Building a rink in the backyard

k so my parents have finally allowed me to build a simple roller rink in my back yard,

right now it is covered with grass and dirt, measures approximately 20x10

i was wondering how i should start the process?

take out the grass?

smooth out the dirt?

wut material playing surface to use?

im thinking of having a few low boards and then about 10 foot netting since there is my house and neighbors in close proximity

it would basically be a shooting gallery just something to take shots in and screw around with friends

any and all help is appreciated

i will take some pics of the area for further assistance by tonight

i figure u should smooth out the area completley then probably set up youre boards then fill the area up with concrete or some other all weather surface so it doesnt deteriorate over the years

but man youre lucky i got this damn hill in my backyeard so im outta luck

yea i was hoping for using cement but talked about it with the rents and they said it would be too hard to take it down when we sell the house

maybe flatten the dirt and then a concrete slab base instead of liquid???

idk

anyways heres the pics i promised

backyard003.jpg

backyard002.jpg

backyard001.jpg

I'm impressed your parents will let you do that with such a small backyard. Basically they're giving the yard to you! That pretty nice of them. What about some kind of removable surface that you could take down in bad weather? There are places that make synthetic ice that you could probably ice skate and roller blade on.

yea but it took alotta work to convince them its a 2 part backyard one with a table and barbecue and bricks (which killed my sticks) and another small grass area which no one uses and my dad hasny taken care of (look at the huge patch of dirt) i already killed my garage with pucks which i had to repaint and re drywall outta my own cash, so this is kinda a gift lol

anywaysssss

i researched some online sport court flooring companies and all of them require large size orders, is there any where i could just get 20x10, my roller rink got new flooring last year and sold everything so thats not an option

also i dont really want to take it down in bad weather so its gotta be water proof

im ok with cleaning it just not taking it apart

edit: found a site that does not require a minimum order however i dont like the look of the tiles the spaces in between look like they are gonna kill my stick or wheels

anyone play on this before? http://www.floorscore.com/action.html

about the water proofing why not put down wood planks and then put water proofing and something to make it a bit slicker but would that be too expensive having to by all of the wood planks?

hes only trying to help dude.

If you respond to all people like that id see no reason for anyone to help you.

Thank You!

But an apology is in order -- My Bad :P

I would use something that will allow water to drain through. Using packed gravel below the tiles may allow the water to drain through while keeping everything fairly level.

That sports flooring sounds like something that you might be able to find on EBAY pretty cheaply--when some yuppie's kid gets tired of it and he wants to get rid of it.

When I was in college my university tried something like the sport flooring stuff to go over the tennis courts so they would not have to resurface them. The stuff seemed pretty bullet proof to me.

I think that if you laid out plywood on a very shallow frame, just to get it up off the mud, that you could lay the sport flooring tiles on top of that and be pretty darned good to go. You could even drill a few holes in the plywood to let the water drain through so you can play all the time and not have to worry about standing water at all.

You might think about ordering just a few tiles and taking some shots off it first and maybe rollling on them before you sink money into the whole yard's worth. If you do this, let us know how it turns out as I have been contemplating doing something similar for my kids.