Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jrphantom042

Blockers

I was looking at a few blockers. I noticed that most of these new blockers are gettin really thin. I was wondering Would you( as the goalies) rather have the new thin ones or the little bit thicker ones?

The first thin goalie blocker was the bauer vapor. I had hockey geeks send me pics of that compared to the Vaughn Epic 8000 , Ill ahve you look for yourself.

blockers.jpg

&&

Blockersside.jpg

I haven't tried one in play, just at the store. Other than the lightness factor, I can't see any performance gains. I would think the thicker blocker would give more coverage, in unique situations. Just look at all the puck marks on the edge of the side of your regular blocker. A deflection save perhaps, where the puck may have missed the thin side of the thin blockers.

The vapour wasn't the first thin board blocker. The CCM Blockade came out before it. Personally I don't care for them but some people do. The boards tend to be stiffer and thus rebounds can be quite lively.

Also, the epic you have pictured isn't a thin board, it just has thinned edges.

::m

The thinness def adds to the lightness factor, But it always seems to make the blocker look smaller (vapor and blockade). But i guess not in that picture since the epic looks like a sr to a jr vapor.

I DO like what they are doing to the sides tho. They are pretty much adding another whole blocker to side, over the thumb. KOHO had been doing it for years, but recently, ones like the TPS Exceed, its two blockers in one, it really lets you get in tight to your chest and cover up that hole under your arm.

what I don't like is the Vapor XXX catcher... yuck!

as for the blockers I like thick boards, I have a Brian's Demon.

A freind had a demon? blocker & then he got the vapor blocker, he was able to play the puck better because' the thin style,was allowing his wriste to move better".

A freind had a demon? blocker & then he got the vapor blocker, he was able to play the puck better because' the thin style,was allowing his wriste to move better".

I think Vision might agree with me but I can move just as well in my thick board with no issues

jrp,

See what I said. There are several differences in those two blockers that would explain his ability to shoot better with the bauer that have nothing to do with the thickness of the board.

As to what MB33 said, yup, I've used both traditional boards and thin boards and the board has nothing to do with the shootability.

::m