Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

manizzle

mouthguard

Correct me if I'm wrong...but dentist made ones will protect your teeth, but not your brains. Don't think they help in preventing concussions right?

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=RMGC

New Rbk mouthguard...customizable with some gel goop that comes with it.

The RbK piece is pretty pricey when you can get this, nearly the same thing, for only $8.99...

custommouthguard.JPG

Shield Sports #250/#260

With our unique, easy-to-use powder and liquid, this mouth guard molds perfectly to each tooth. No boiling is necessary Fits all ages. $100 per tooth dental injury warranty.

*Available in Blue Tint

Where do you get that from?

I googled it but came up empty.

try shop.nhl.com

Nope.

Just a couple of Shockdoctors there.

I read an article featuring an OHL guy who has had something like 12 teeth knocked out already. he said that when you get hit directly in the grill, a mouthguard doesn't really do much to protect the teeth and that in actuality you sometimes lose more because of it than if it weren't in at all. I think they are mostly for protecting against concussion.

I got my custom mouthgaurd. It is by far more comfortable than the others I have tried, BUT it is still very thick. I was hoping it would not be as thick as it is. Any suggestions? I know the thickness is for my protection but it makes it uncomfortable and I doubt I will use it unless I make modifications to it. (Warm razor blade and boiling is suggested by manufacturer).

Are you talking about thickness on the sides, around the gums, or thickness at the bottom, between your teeth where you would bite? A minimum thickness of 3-4 mm is needed in the bite area for adequate concussion protection for the typical laminated custom mouthguard. There's an alternative custom mouthguard that is a lot smaller and fits over the bottom teeth that's supposedly very good at concussion protection, but has no dental protection. There was an article in ESPN magazine about them.

I shaved mine down. I won't wear it that thick. Some protection is better than none, anyway. I didn't shave the bottoms between the teeth, but I shaved the sides and the inside sides. I did boil and let my bottom teeth make an impression into the bottom of the guard.

I played the whole game with the mouthguard. Took a small amount of getting used to but I was impressed. Didn't affect my breathing, slightly affecte speech. This was the first mouthguard I have ever used for a whole game, and that I will continue to use at games.

By the way, when you get your mouthguard, they also give you the impression of your teeth. If you keep the impression and send it back in for them to use, you get 50% off another mouthguard. Don't know if that makes a diff for anyone, but I thought it might be handy to know.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but dentist made ones will protect your teeth, but not your brains. Don't think they help in preventing concussions right?

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=RMGC

New Rbk mouthguard...customizable with some gel goop that comes with it.

The RbK piece is pretty pricey when you can get this, nearly the same thing, for only $8.99...

custommouthguard.JPG

Shield Sports #250/#260

With our unique, easy-to-use powder and liquid, this mouth guard molds perfectly to each tooth. No boiling is necessary Fits all ages. $100 per tooth dental injury warranty.

*Available in Blue Tint

has anybody tried this one?

I don't have the bucks to get a custom from dentist

it looks kinda suspect on shop NHL (kinda like drugs if you ask me :P)

I'm looking for something that doesn't restrict breathing, low bulk, and something that doesn't restrict talking.

Do guys using full cages even need mouthguards?

A cage does nothing to prevent a concussion.

so anybody know if these customguards.com ones are exactly like the ones from the dentist?

if so, for $60 bucks...i'm getting one.

I saw a guy at hockey who had one and I asked him where he got it and he said the dentist. It looked just like mine except mine had my name inside of it and the customguard logo/website that they insert inside the mouthguard. I am pleased with my purchase.

My wife works with the Denstist for an NHL team. The girl that did mine does them for the guys at training cap. I"m lucky to get a free custom one made. I love it and we have our kids use them too. Now, do you think players in the NHL would use mouthguards that don't protect from concussion? I think not. Mine fits so well I can talk pretty fine (my team mates don't quite like that though). I'm into my 3rd season with it and it seems to not be breaking down on me. If you are looking for something less expensive, try this for protection:

http://www.brainpads.com/

My wife works with the Denstist for an NHL team. The girl that did mine does them for the guys at training cap. I"m lucky to get a free custom one made. I love it and we have our kids use them too. Now, do you think players in the NHL would use mouthguards that don't protect from concussion? I think not. Mine fits so well I can talk pretty fine (my team mates don't quite like that though). I'm into my 3rd season with it and it seems to not be breaking down on me. If you are looking for something less expensive, try this for protection:

These are all dual/bite guards. They hold your upper and lower jaws together. How do you talk or even drink with those? Obviously hou have to take it out to drink, but what a hassle.

My wife works with the Denstist for an NHL team. The girl that did mine does them for the guys at training cap. I"m lucky to get a free custom one made. I love it and we have our kids use them too. Now, do you think players in the NHL would use mouthguards that don't protect from concussion? I think not.  Mine fits so well I can talk pretty fine (my team mates don't quite like that though). I'm into my 3rd season with it and it seems to not be breaking down on me.  If you are looking for something less expensive, try this for protection:

These are all dual/bite guards. They hold your upper and lower jaws together. How do you talk or even drink with those? Obviously hou have to take it out to drink, but what a hassle.

Ive tried one, you cant talk. Personally I use an OPRO

do you have the "heavy" or "pro impact" o-pro?

i'm debating on o-pro vs customguards. i should get one of each and review em for you guys B)

i'm debating on o-pro vs customguards. i should get one of each and review em for you guys B)

Man that would be great!!!

do you have the "heavy" or "pro impact" o-pro?

I got the heavy version (the pro-imact wasnt available when i bought mine). Opro's are basically custom fitted, but you may lose out on some of the service you will get from your dentist.