Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hapamatt122

Tying Laces...

Will you have less balance if you don't use the top eyelet? Newbie question... what's the benefit of a more forward lean / flex?

Will you have less balance if you don't use the top eyelet? Newbie question... what's the benefit of a more forward lean / flex?

More flex/forward lean = longer stride, faster skating. This is a newer (last couple decades) trend in hockey I believe.

so I tried not lacing up to the top and skated 2 shifts like that and decided that I need some time to get used to it not in a game situation, so I ended up reverting back to my normal method of going all the way to the top. I did like the ability to lean forward without my heal coming up off the ice but I found that I had to adjust my stride to get used to this. I think I'll try again at pick-up.. I won an autographed player card by Mattias Norstrom (from a Kings game on saturday) and you can clearly see he skips the top eyelet on his XXX's.. sorry no online pic.

i have graf 703's and i go to the top eyelet, but i don't do it as tight. i like the freedom of not doing the top, but i'm a little shaky, so that's a compromise. and i get a rash when my ankles rub too much on my skates if i don't do the top.

can anybody recommend a way of strengthening ankles? maybe just gradually tie the top eyelet looser and looser until you don't need it anymore?

Needing the top eyelet isn't a sign of weakness or wobbly ankles. 703's are fairly soft for a high end skate. I've got them and and even go as far as to taping the tendon guard as I posted previously.

Maybe you need stiffer skates. Pro's use the stiffest skates around and I bet their ankles aren't weak.

RJ Umberger laces his skats oddly. He skips the third eyelet from the toe. I've never seen anything like that, and I can't think of any real benefit to it.

a.jpg

Could just like it loose down there. I know a few guys who keep them really loose at the bottom as well, this may be a way for him to keep the top tight, and the bottom loose.

RJ Umberger laces his skats oddly. He skips the third eyelet from the toe.  I've never seen anything like that, and I can't think of any real benefit to it. 

a.jpg

I've actually seen this on several players. Seems to be quite common to skip some eyelets here and there...

Mattias Tjärnqvist:

Bilder%2Fleksand%2D110.jpeg

'Matt, when you unlaced the top eyelets did it affect your turns any? That's the problem I have had with leaving the top 2 unlaced, I can bend my knees way better but my crossovers and pivots suck. I practice with the top 2 unlaced but lace all the way up if I'm doing anything remotely serious.

Needing the top eyelet isn't a sign of weakness or wobbly ankles. 703's are fairly soft for a high end skate. I've got them and and even go as far as to taping the tendon guard as I posted previously.

Maybe you need stiffer skates. Pro's use the stiffest skates around and I bet their ankles aren't weak.

cool - thanks for the info :]

'Matt, when you unlaced the top eyelets did it affect your turns any? That's the problem I have had with leaving the top 2 unlaced, I can bend my knees way better but my crossovers and pivots suck. I practice with the top 2 unlaced but lace all the way up if I'm doing anything remotely serious.

yes! thats exactly.. I can get nice and low and deep for those straight aways and haul arse with slight turning, but cross overs are pathetic, especially backwards.. I was talking to a few guys at practice and they said that not tying up to the top should allow you to work your edges better especially in crossovers, but I find that the opposite.. I'm going to try it a few more times but if its still unsuccessful, I'm just going back to my regular lace all the way up style which was never a problem in the first place.

I do it kind of weird, from what I see: I will lace the bottom half of the skate very tight, then loosen up a bit around the third to last eyelet, then pull tight on the top eyelet. I also put my shin pads over my skate tongue, since it is short and gets close to my ankle. Then put the socks over the pad and the ankle of my skates. I like the secure, tight feel of the boot around my ankle for quickness and rapid turning. I'm no Pavel Bure, but he was very quick and maneuverable, but not the fastest player on the ice... I try to be the same, being quick and fast "off the blocks" rather than having a top high speed. I play Center, so I like to have good balance in tight turns, crossovers, and when firmly planted in front of the net at either end.

It also helps that my skates have a bit of bend to them. I have Easton Synergy 1300cs, so they bend a bit when I bend forward. I found that I had worse balance and control when I laced up tongue-out loose at the top. I was told it would be better, but it felt absolutely horrible.

I think it all depends on the player specifically. Go with what feels good and makes you good, not with what the popular NHL stars are doing. We are all different shapes, sizes, and have different muscle strengths, hence why everyone has their "technique" when it comes to gear...

I do it kind of weird, from what I see: I will lace the bottom half of the skate very tight, then loosen up a bit around the third to last eyelet, then pull tight on the top eyelet. I also put my shin pads over my skate tongue, since it is short and gets close to my ankle. Then put the socks over the pad and the ankle of my skates. I like the secure, tight feel of the boot around my ankle for quickness and rapid turning. I'm no Pavel Bure, but he was very quick and maneuverable, but not the fastest player on the ice... I try to be the same, being quick and fast "off the blocks" rather than having a top high speed. I play Center, so I like to have good balance in tight turns, crossovers, and when firmly planted in front of the net at either end.

It also helps that my skates have a bit of bend to them. I have Easton Synergy 1300cs, so they bend a bit when I bend forward. I found that I had worse balance and control when I laced up tongue-out loose at the top. I was told it would be better, but it felt absolutely horrible.

I think it all depends on the player specifically. Go with what feels good and makes you good, not with what the popular NHL stars are doing. We are all different shapes, sizes, and have different muscle strengths, hence why everyone has their "technique" when it comes to gear...

very true.

I usually tie them up to the top until I was out on the rink for about 3 hours and the laces started hurting the bottom of my shin from trying to flex through them the whole day. Now I still lace to the top but tie them tight through the middle and leave the top a bit looser which makes it much better to lean forward. Might be a good stepping stone to completely leaving the top open.

RJ Umberger laces his skats oddly. He skips the third eyelet from the toe. I've never seen anything like that, and I can't think of any real benefit to it.

a.jpg

its so that he can get suicide passes and get laid out!.. j/k.. anyways, I have had 3 games now and have adjusted to the skipping of my top eyelet, I must say that I actually like this better, well at least for now. the next thing I might do is skip the 4th eyelet and see if that releaves some pressure on the sides of my forefoot.