Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShakeAndBake9

Shoulder Pad Help

I have the Nike v10's and it is time for new ones. I got along fine with the v10's but would like something with less bulk up top- the height of the caps specifically.

I am looking at some low-profile shoulder pads. I can't get to a shop to try anything on because the shops here are very poorly stocked all year round and very small.

I am looking to order shoulder pads that are as lightweight and have the least bulk as possible (they must be less bulky and more mobile than the v10's at least). I would need to go high end I guess, as to not sacrifice too much protection from the v10's.

Can anybody help me with some feedback on the following pads?

-Easton stealth 9/synergy 700

-Bauer 8000 lightspeed

-RBK 7k/6k

I am really leaning towards the rbk's but can't really tell how they will fit compared to the v10's.

Thanks guys.

I can't give you opinions on the RBK, but I have the stealth 9's and like them a lot. They are semi - low profile in that the caps are sort of down on the side of the shoulder as opposed to up on top, but the cap is still kind of big so beware of that. They aren't bulky, but I think they are a little bigger than you can see on pictures at some of the websites that sell them.

However, they are quite mobile. They are made really well and extremely protective. I looked at the Bauer 8k's too, and they may be a tad more mobile, but I thought the protection of the stealths was much better, without sacrificing much in terms of mobility.

I actually ordered the v-14's and the stealths at the same time and the V-14's were too bulky for me. I suggest you order two of the ones your considering from a good retailer, try them on and return one set.

I just got the Synergy 700's about a month ago and love them. I was in Vapor 10's so these feel like there is nothing there. The mobility in them is very good as well. For the price you can now get them for I think they are a good option.

When it comes to shoulder pads for any serious hockey, I use only RBK/Jofa. It's what the pros use and thats a good enough endorsement for me. Nothing protects better.

When it comes to shoulder pads for any serious hockey, I use only RBK/Jofa. It's what the pros use and thats a good enough endorsement for me. Nothing protects better.

totally agree... when you look at any nhl change room all you can see if Jofa/RBK on just about everyone. Remember these guys are the best and they can pick anything to wear. when it comes to protection in hockey there is only Jofa/RBK. don't waste a ton of money on crap like i did just because they are the new thing or look good.

I have the Stealth S5 and I aggree ejquin, they look a bit smaller in the pics than they are when you have them on. my biggest gripe would be the chest protector, its kinda wide, but I'm coming from Bauer 2000's which were much smaller and totally broken in, so perhaps I just need to break these in some more (only had them 2 weeks). the caps are pretty low and sit more towards the front of the shoulder. I've taken a few shots in the chest now that didn't hurt at all, but on my bauer 2000's I woudl have definitely felt. I really think you should go try them on, some people love Easton, my LHS deosn't carry easton protective gear so I was just choosing these because they looked cool but now I kind of wish I went with something else. hope this helps.

Would you say that the rbk's are as low profile as the eastons or the Bauer 8000's?

I will probably narrow it down to 2 choices and order them and just return 1 set.

What is the difference between the rbk 5/6/7k's in terms of fit? Which has higher caps/more mobility?

I think the RBK's are lower profile than the Bauer's, and close to the Easton's. The Bauer's deal is more that they are very light and mobile, but I think they sacrifice protection. The caps on the Bauer 8k's are still pretty big, they're just really light. If you're not concerned with protection as much then they're a great choice, but I feel like the Easton's are a lot better protection wise and a little less mobile. I think the same go with the RBK's. They seem comparable to the Bauers in mobility, but the Easton's seem like they protect a little better, and are a touch less mobile.

Don't get me wrong I like the Easton's a lot. Hapamatt, they do get a bit better with wear. Overall I thnk they are a good mix of mobility and protection.

If I were you I'd order the 7k and the Easton Stealth's and compare. But that's just me.

don't forget the old school coopers....

I think the RBK's are lower profile than the Bauer's, and close to the Easton's. The Bauer's deal is more that they are very light and mobile, but I think they sacrifice protection. The caps on the Bauer 8k's are still pretty big, they're just really light. If you're not concerned with protection as much then they're a great choice, but I feel like the Easton's are a lot better protection wise and a little less mobile. I think the same go with the RBK's. They seem comparable to the Bauers in mobility, but the Easton's seem like they protect a little better, and are a touch less mobile.

Don't get me wrong I like the Easton's a lot. Hapamatt, they do get a bit better with wear. Overall I thnk they are a good mix of mobility and protection.

If I were you I'd order the 7k and the Easton Stealth's and compare. But that's just me.

Out of the 3 that you mentioned, which would you say give the best mobility and which give the least bulk?

For just straight mobility, the Bauer's or the RBK's. Like I said before I think the Easton's offer more protection than both and are a little less mobile, but if you just want mobility, the Bauers or RBK's.