Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sichy

Mission Helium 7500/5500 Inline Hockey Skates

I'm looking into getting a pair of Mission Inline Hockey Skates for the first time ever, but I was wondering if anyone on this board can tell me what's the general fit like of say the Mission Helium 7500 or 5500 Inline Hockey Skates. Is it a boot for narrow or wide feet... etc. My previous pair of inline skates were the Bauer Mega 20-70s.

I do not have access to either of these boots, so it's somewhat problematic. The only 2006 Mission Helium Inline Hockey Skates in my area are the 1500 and 500's and they are both E widths, and not D or EE widths. When I've gotten my foot measured, my feet measure up in between a D and a E, so I was wondering what width would be the correct width in these higher-mid-level skates, D or EE. And by the way, would the Mission Helium boot fit well for a person with a narrow heel.

Any information on the general fit of the Mission Helium boot would be great.

I'm sorry Sassmasta, but I have looked through quite a few posts on the 2006 Mission Helium Inline Hockey Skates, maybe not the "approximately [thirty-four] thousand threads" that you have suggested, but nonetheless the ones that I've looked through have not mentioned anything about what type of foot are Mission Helium skates best-fitted for. Many people have posted about what wonderful these skates are, how durable these skates are in comparison to last year's model, and how stiff some of these higher-end skates are. I get that, but I want to know if these skates are for narrow feet or wider feet. For example, in ice hockey, the Bauer Supreme 8090 skate is for people with wider fit while the Bauer Vapor XX is for narrower feet, etc. Also, if my feet are between a D and a E, is the the 7500 or the 5500 even an option since the 7500 is only available in the D width and the 5500 is only available in the D and EE widths.

The last couple of times my feet have been measured, I've also fallen between D and E, and my Missions feel fine. I was in CCM PF10's prior, which have the wider forefoot and normal heel shape, and the Missions felt good coming from those.

The last couple of times my feet have been measured, I've also fallen between D and E, and my Missions feel fine. I was in CCM PF10's prior, which have the wider forefoot and normal heel shape, and the Missions felt good coming from those.

So I'm assuming you went with the D width for your Mission Helium 5500 then?

yes, D width. I couldn't have worn D width Mission until the last few years, so they are definitely wider than the old Proto series

i have the 7500s and personally, i hate them

the skates themselves are perfectly fine, and fit my wide foot well, but i dont find them to be nimble enough for me

they are very comfortable though

Nimble enough? Care to elaborate?

the skates themselves are perfectly fine, and fit my wide foot well, but i dont find them to be nimble enough for me

just please don't tell me this is in comparison to the Hummer :(

So the Helium 7500 fit wide feet then?

They aren't overly wide, but they aren't as narrow as a regular D width.

So if my feet were an E width, the skates would fit me fine? Would you say that the Helium 7500's D width is in between a regular D width and E width? Eazy_b97, what skate's D width are you comparing when you make this statement? My previous skates were the Bauer Mega 20-70's and that width was a "R", whatever that meant.

I found the biggest diff between the ancient pair of Tour 902s and my 7500s was how nimble the 7500 were. I believe the wheel placement (very close together and very close to the boot as compared to the 902) created the difference. I'm sure this comes at a sacrifice of top speed (I debated the Hummer frame for awhile) but don't want to give up the agility now. I play defense and I think this increased agility serves me better than top speed.

Snigglefish, I would suggest that you talk to someone who has used the Hummer frame. I think they would tell you that they have increased agility now compared to the old system. The more urethane you have flexing and rebounding the better off you are for movement. Don't buy into the slaes pitch of decreased mobility; ask actual users to get their opinions.

Chad, I can respect your opinion as one of Tours players, and I do play around CJ and Brian Yingling in leagues here so I've seen some top players using the Hummers firsthand. That being said, the Hummer simply has a longer wheelbase than a Hi-Lo and for feet below a size 10 or so, it's a huge difference. I tried desperately to make some Beemers work for me, and felt slow-footed and clumsy. The Hummer is very fast, but does not feel near as agile as a Hi-Lo to me and most who have not been able to make the switch. In all honesty, Tour would compete with Mission on a broader scale with players such as myself if they still had the Sensor frame, even as an optional item. Having a frame that is closer to the feel of a Hi-Lo could go a long ways in making more of an apples to apples comparison.

i had missions and hi/lo for the last 5 years or so. I got a pair of code-1s about 4 months ago. it deff. took some getting used to, but not much. i would deff say that my agility is the same. i got used to the hummer set up and i love it. If i went back to the hi/lo right now i would have to re adjust and get used to that system again. Its just because hi/lo came out b4 the hummer so EVERYONE used hi/lo and if they get the hummer they need to get used to it. If hummer came out 5 years ago and the hi/lo ust came out recently, ppl would be saying that the hi/lo decrease agility etc. Its just because ppl are so used to the hi/lo that they dont liek the hummer at 1st. I didnt, but i loved the feel of the code1 skates so i got them and go used to the hummer.

the misisons are sweet skates tho. any top end skate you get these days are nice.

good luck

I wonder if Tour would still be using Hi-Lo or Sensor, if we didn't have the patent...

The Hummer is fast....But to say it is as agile as a Hi-Lo or Sensor is not true....

I could sit hear and say mine is better, blah, blah, blah, but I will let the people on the board pick which is better....I think the numerous post about this years line

I am on this site to offer information about Mission Roller Hockey Products, and that is it...I will not give my opinions on any other product. If you want my opinions on stuff, you can always e-mail me directly at justinh@missionhockey.com.

i had missions and hi/lo for the last 5 years or so. I got a pair of code-1s about 4 months ago. it deff. took some getting used to, but not much. i would deff say that my agility is the same. i got used to the hummer set up and i love it. If i went back to the hi/lo right now i would have to re adjust and get used to that system again. Its just because hi/lo came out b4 the hummer so EVERYONE used hi/lo and if they get the hummer they need to get used to it. If hummer came out 5 years ago and the hi/lo ust came out recently, ppl would be saying that the hi/lo decrease agility etc. Its just because ppl are so used to the hi/lo that they dont liek the hummer at 1st. I didnt, but i loved the feel of the code1 skates so i got them and go used to the hummer.

the misisons are sweet skates tho. any top end skate you get these days are nice.

good luck

I don't necessarily agree with this wholly, seeing as how I skated 76mm flat frames for a loooong time before Hi-Lo was introduced at all. I ended up spending alot of time on Final Factor frames. Wanna know why? They used the shortest wheelbase/frame length possible compared to Labeda and Sure-Grip. That made all of the difference to me and alot of other people. I have been giving alot of thought to all of the X Skate vs Y Skate that people post up here, and have come to some conclusions about the three top brand (seeing as how I've skated on all three in the last few months).

Mission and Tour is an apples to oranges comparison. Mission's fit is a bit more form fitting, whereas Tour is a comfy looser boot. Hi-Lo vs Hummer comes down to wheelbase and stride frequency. I find I have a higher stride frequency with the Missions, where the Tour is a longer stroke for more straight end speed. I have found the Hi-Lo to be more instinct in the agility department, where the Hummer is more of a mental effort to focus on where to cut to make sure you can cut back quick enough.

The closer comparison I can see here is Mission to CCM, where both are trying to achieve very similar results with their end product. I prefer the build of the Mission boots a bit more, and definitely prefer Mission's customer service. The Tri-Di has some subtle nuances in the feel of the frame compared to the Hi-Lo, but nothing as major as trying to adjust to a Hummer.

Overall, Mission and Tour are the best brands for roller, CCM seems to be trying real hard but has yet to make the same impact they have on ice, and Bauer seems to not really care much either way. As I said before, if you wear a size 10.5 or so and larger, the Hummer may be an easier transition. On a size 9 however, it feels worlds apart.

i have pretty wide feet, like E and I thought the width was fine after baking

but coming from nike roller daddys, i didnt want to switch

i felt the 7500s were clunky and i couldnt make the quick little sprints and turns as well as i could with my nikes (and this is after like 5 games with the skates)

also i didnt like the stock hornets, they had no grip for me

i have pretty wide feet, like E and I thought the width was fine after baking

but coming from nike roller daddys, i didnt want to switch

i felt the 7500s were clunky and i couldnt make the quick little sprints and turns as well as i could with my nikes (and this is after like 5 games with the skates)

also i didnt like the stock hornets, they had no grip for me

Hey buffalo.hockey, thanks for the info, but what width is your Nike Quest Roller Daddy's? D width or EE width? Aren't the Helium 7500's lighter than the Roller Daddy's?

sdcopp, I respect your opinion and I think you have a good feel for what you are talking about. Agility is affected by a number of factors and of course the length of the wheel base is one of them. Amount of urethane, and center of gravity off of the ground are others. From personal experience and from the amount of other players wearing the system (ranging in sizes from size 6 - 13) I am confident in saying that the Hummer system is a faster system, but as important it is a more agile system than any other.

I say this because once you make a small adjustment to the system then you have the benefits of more urethane on the floor which tramslates into a bigger push off and being able to hold your turns longer without slipping. I think the statements of pontoons and skis are gross mistatements. Would Myself, CJ Yoder, Greg Thompson, Dan Costanza, Jerry Ostercamp and others being wearing the system if they affected our games the way pontoons or skis would?

I just want to let people know why I like the Hummer and then, to Justin's point, choose what they feel is the best skate for them. An educated consumer is the best kind. Mission and Tour have different chassis systems as well as different fits, choose which combination works best for you and that will be your best skate. Not everyone will like or fit best in Tour and vice versa for Mission. We are both 2 companies supporting and growing the great game of RollerHockey.

And Justin, to answer your question, Tour would absolutely stick with the Hummer system without your patent.

sdcopp, I respect your opinion and I think you have a good feel for what you are talking about. Agility is affected by a number of factors and of course the length of the wheel base is one of them. Amount of urethane, and center of gravity off of the ground are others. From personal experience and from the amount of other players wearing the system (ranging in sizes from size 6 - 13) I am confident in saying that the Hummer system is a faster system, but as important it is a more agile system than any other.

I say this because once you make a small adjustment to the system then you have the benefits of more urethane on the floor which tramslates into a bigger push off and being able to hold your turns longer without slipping. I think the statements of pontoons and skis are gross mistatements. Would Myself, CJ Yoder, Greg Thompson, Dan Costanza, Jerry Ostercamp and others being wearing the system if they affected our games the way pontoons or skis would?

I just want to let people know why I like the Hummer and then, to Justin's point, choose what they feel is the best skate for them. An educated consumer is the best kind. Mission and Tour have different chassis systems as well as different fits, choose which combination works best for you and that will be your best skate. Not everyone will like or fit best in Tour and vice versa for Mission. We are both 2 companies supporting and growing the great game of RollerHockey.

And Justin, to answer your question, Tour would absolutely stick with the Hummer system without your patent.

Chad, I think we've hit on the difference of terminology here that I hopefully can help clear up. Agility on inlines, at least to me, is likened to shortening a radius on an ice blade, making a smaller turning radius. With the smaller contact area, the agile little turns, quick little cuts, etc are easier, but it won't carry the edge for speed and turn stability near as well as a flatter radius. Apply that principle to the inline technology here, and the Hi-Lo has the smaller radius for turning, where the Hummer will be more stable for top speed and digging into turns. Just for reference I have done most disciplines of inline skating: hockey, speed and aggressive. The Hummer felt more like a low-profile speed frame, at least for me. I was trying to adjust to the Hummer until I tweaked my ankle trying to make a quick cutback in a game. I've since gone back to Missions and Hi-Lo and am skating fine again. I noticed I do have to work a bit harder going coast to coast on the Missions than the guys in Tours, but I just upped my stride frequency to adjust and am doing fine with it. I personally feel that the Sensor frames were really the pinnacle of the best of both worlds, since I did have to adjust a little on take offs in the Hi-Lo or my toe would slip some, after coming off of the Hummer chassis.

I've been playing on Tour skates for over 7 years now so I was very willing to try the hum'mer when it first hit the markert. That being said, it took awhile for it to really be accepted in my league. Only about 10% of the players used Tours before the hum'mer... maybe less.

Whats most telling to me is that now almost half the elite players in the league use Tour skates (Mostly Beemers, Blue Max, and Silver Max) and theres a hell of a lot more guys using them throughout. As you've established in this thread, they're not for everyone but the hum'mer definitely performs.

I've been playing on Tour skates for over 7 years now so I was very willing to try the hum'mer when it first hit the markert. That being said, it took awhile for it to really be accepted in my league. Only about 10% of the players used Tours before the hum'mer... maybe less.

Whats most telling to me is that now almost half the elite players in the league use Tour skates (Mostly Beemers, Blue Max, and Silver Max) and theres a hell of a lot more guys using them throughout. As you've established in this thread, they're not for everyone but the hum'mer definitely performs.

That's just it, if it works for you then great, but if not then it will never be right. Like I've said before, I play at the arena where PIHA's Rocky Mtn conference is, including players like CJ Yoder and Brian Yingling who are all about Tour, so I've seen top players using the Hummer successfully. I can also tell you that the quickest guy I see out there on a regular basis is probably Shane Hayden, who is a world class speedskater, and skates on Missions with Hi-Los. I don't think one or the other is real telling as to one being better as a whole. Each has their own high points, but I know for me at least the Hi-Lo is the way to go. I've also seen a few PIHA guys who went to Tours w/ Hummers go back to Hi-Lo frames, so take that for what it's worth. My personal feeling on this is that the Hummer feels like a pontoon to me in comparison to the Hi-Lo setup. The only issue I had going back to Hi-Lo was not pushing off of the toe so much, because the smaller wheel would slip out compared to the bigger wheel on the Hummer. The Sensor really felt like the best of both worlds where you get the Hi-Lo feel with more push up front.