Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Hespeler Alpha Nemesis

Product: Hespeler Alpha Nemesis / Smyth pattern / 260 Flex / left-handed

Aesthetics - The stick's pretty! It has a very glossy look to it, and the graphics are beneath the paint. The foil look is very nice, and the stick isn't a loud color but still stands out. 10/10

Blade - The blade is very well-made. Very stiff coming out of the box. However, after a few uses, I was able to bend the blade slightly and hear a crackling sound (which I've heard with other sticks, so I wasn't overly concerned with it). It never got worse from the initial time I heard it, which is pretty reassuring. 8/10

Flex - It's an 260, which is equivalent to a 90 in Easton ratings. I thought the 260 would be too stiff for me coming from a 90 Mission, and when I flexed it in the store, I was like "No way can I use this." I was reassured that the stick will flex more on the ice, and it did. It was weird, but it works. 9/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes - As you probably know, I'm not a big fan of composite blades. I really could never get used to the feel of them as I prefer wood. I usually get a lot of vibration in my elbow and forearm from using graphite blades. However, this is where the best features of the Alpha shine. I would have guys basically shoot passes at me and I'd receive them on the Vybe insert, and it would totally cushion it. Totally what I was looking for. 10/10

Shooting - The stick shot really well - I honestly was expecting the insert to rob some of the power/accuracy, but it didn't. The only problem I had was the curve. It had a little bit of toe at the end, which I wasn't used to. I think an Alpha in a Boucicaut pattern should be in the works. :ph34r: 8.5/10

Weight and balance - Very good balance. Not heavy - just a good weight to it. 9.5/10

Durability - Everyone is different with sticks. Some people bust them regularly and then you have guys like me who rarely break any. This one lasted for me, and I'll be donating it to another user so they can put up a review. 9.5/10

Intangibles - Keep in mind this stick was a demo. I experienced some paint chipping off the shaft whenever it was slashed on, leaving a grey primer look under it. However, according to Hespeler, the problem has been rectified. 8/10

In conclusion, this is the product that the Si-Core tried to become. Sure, it sounds gimmicky, but it works. It was the only OPS that I ever used that I was comfortable with right off the bat. A better curve and a tad bit flexier, and I'd call it perfect. 72.5/80 = 91%

Thanks goes out to the guys at Hespeler for providing me the opportunity to test out their product. I hope this review will be a valuable tool for future research and development of Hespeler products.

Product: Hespeler Alpha Nemesis / Smyth pattern / 260 Flex / right-handed

Reviewer 6-1 225. playing center and defense.

Aesthetics - Sweet looking stick, dark red and blue with silver foil lettering. Kinda mellow but stands out as well, should appeal to just about everyone. 10/10

Blade - Not as stiff as I'd prefer but it never cracked or showed any signs of wear. The Smyth pattern is identical to the Inno Hull retail pattern and is actually based on a real pro pattern. Not my idea of an ideal curve due to the ugly toe on it, but at least it's a 5 lie. 8/10

Flex - Perfect for me, I love TPS R flex and Inno-style 260 flexes. It's entirely PP and no one flex is perfect for everyone. 10/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes - The Vybe insert on the blade works incredibly well and you can tell when a pass misses the insert and hits the composite part of the blade. The shaft inserts and the blade insert work so well together, I've never had an OPS of composite blade feel that good. 10/10

Shooting - All hail the Alpha! My wristers were lasers and my slappers were deadly. Even on my backhand, the shots jumped off the stick. It's not going to give you a shot if you don't have one, but it certainly made mine look better. I had four guys on my team ask about buying one. These are guys that have played with me for a while and they all noticed a vast improvement in my shot. My goalie even asked my not to use it in warmups, good thing I like him. 9.5/10

Weight and balance - 450g may sound like a lot compared to some of the other new OPS but this is a true weight and not based on some cut-down length for the vertically challenged. The stick feels very solid in my hands yet is as light and well balanced as anything else I've used, including my XN10s. 10/10

Durability - I beat the living hell out this thing. I didn't baby it in any way, anywhere on the ice. I took a ton of slappers with it, I won faceoffs with it, I went to the front of the net at both ends, I dug in the corners and had guys complain about how aggressive I was. I beat the stick with reckless abandon and it finally broke after two months of abuse when it was slashed and I was hooked down and fell on top of it. Not many sticks would have survived that, so it's no fault of the stick. 8/10

Intangibles - When I got the stick, I went on a tear. I've had the best season I've ever had in terms of scoring. It may have been the stick, it may not. I had more confidence in my shot with this stick than with anything else I've ever used. 9/10

In conclusion - I'll be honest, I was thinking the insert was a gimmick before I got it. Now, I'm a believer. This thing is everything the si-core was supposed to be. There was a bit of paint chipping but I was assured that the paint problem was fixed before full retail production. One of the most innovative products I've ever seen in hockey. I guess the best thing I would say about this stick is that I would gladly buy one to use again.

Overall rating 74.5 out of 80 = 93%

Big thanks to Paul and Richard at Hespeler for sending me a stick to test. Talk about confidence in your product, to send one to have tested in conditions totally out of their control and without anyone to oversee the testing.

Product: Hespeler Alpha Nemesis / Smyth pattern / 260 Flex / left-handed

Reviewer: 6', about 185 lb. Have played for over 20 years. I play where I am needed.

Aesthetics - Probably one of the best looking pieces of equipment out there. A lot of shine but not over done. Many people have asked me about it based on looks alone. 10/10

Blade - Very nice blade. The rubber piece embedded in the blade definitely helps dampen vibrations. The blade has great feel and the toe is perfect for doing drags. Have used the stick about 15 times now and seems as solid now as it did on day one. The blade is also faily thin so you can get underneath the puck quite easily to put the peanut butter on the top shelf. 9.5/10

Flex - Being about a 90 flex I thought it would be a little too soft for my liking. I have an 85 flex Mission M-1 that is has way too much flex for me but this Hespeler was quite surprising. The stick does flex but it feels a lot more solid than a 90 flex stick. The flex only comes in to play when taking shots but even then its responsiveness kicks in and keeps the stick from feeling like a wet noodle 10/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes - This is by far the best composite stick I have used for stickhandling hands down! As I have already mentioned, the insert in the blade provides great feel and does exactly as promised (unlike some gimmicks I have seen/used before). This composite blade is as close to wood as you can get right now without actually being wood. With this blade you can always feel where the puck is located. 10/10

Shooting - It took me a couple of skates to adjust my shot using this stick but once I figured it out it has not let me down. The Smyth curve is great for my style of shooting and lets me put the puck where I need it. Again, the insert comes in to play here because it allows you to feel the puck when you are pulling back for a wristshot or quick snapshot. My wristshots are definitely improved with this stick. 10/10

Weight and balance - Perfect balance. There is some weight but its perfect. You don't want the stick to feel like nothing, but you don't want it to feel like a crowbar either. This one is just right. 9.5/10

Durability - I have used the stick regularly for 3 weeks now and have not had a single problem with it. I can't say that it is going to last me forever but it shows no signs of weakness as of yet. 9.0/10 (9 only b/c of the length of time I have had this stick).

Intangibles - The stick does have paint chipping problems. The paint does chip pretty easily and still exposes the gray primer just like JR noted in a previous review. As far as I know, this is not a demo model so if it was rectified then I wouldn't have wanted to see how it chipped before. This does not seem to effect the performance of the stick, but it does make it look beat up too early in its life. The only other thing I worry about is the rubber insert causing the blade to wear sooner than other composite blades. Currently I have not had a single issue with the blade so I am keeping my fingers crossed here. 9 (-1 for chipping paint)/10

Conclusion: (Total Score 77/80)

This stick has completely exceeded my expectations so far. I was holding on to an aging Vector 110 because I could not find a stick (besides possibly another 110) that could replace it. I tried a M-1 Grip, a buddy's Xn10, a Vapor XX and even some various different wood sticks before this Hespeler and none of them could match up. The stick's performance far exceeds any stick I have used recently and I would not hesitate to pick up another one if the opportunity presented itself. The biggest problem I have had with the stick's performance is the paint chipping issue. The only other thing that I could complain about with this stick is its availability. I picked this one up at the Ice Den in Orlando, FL (HUGE thanks to JR on recommending this stick) but even they only have a couple left. JR has told me that he is not sure if they are going to get any more of them once his current stock is sold out. Hespeler needs to step up to the plate and start getting this stick out to the shops (and some of their other great products). If this stick breaks then I will probably "up chocolate creek without a Popsicle stick". I need to get back up to Orlando to see JR before the last ones are gone!!!

Product: Alpha Nemesis, Smyth, 220 Flex, RH

Reviewer: 5'7, 120 lbs Right wing

Aesthetics:I love the chrome look on the nemesis and the greek A looks great. Only problem was that the paint chipped off really easy. 8/10

Blade: I really like the blue triangle. When I first saw it I thought it was not going to support the puck at all but I was wrong. I can barely feel the puck with it and the puck doesn't bounce off it like other OPS. It also isn't as thick as most other OPS so it was good. 10/10

Flex: Coming from a 75 flex this thing is WAY to stiff for me even though I like a stiff stick. It was the only one left in Edmonton at the sale price so I had to get it. Im sure If I could of got a 260 it would of been alot better. 8/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes: Like I said before, very minamal bounce of the puck on the blade. Stick handling is great, I can feel the puck perfect and still pull off some toe drags. 10/10

Shooting: Since it is so stiff I get off really good wristers. My snap shots are still hard and my slap is not up were it should be. I have a great feel of the puck and can pick anything. Im sure my shooting problems would be cured if it was a little more flexier. 9/10

Weight and Balance: The most balanced stick I have ever felt. It was litter that my freinds Int. Response+. I couldnt complain one bit. 10/10

Durablitly: I have used it for about 5 ice times and it is in mint condition except for the paint chips. The blade doesn't even have any chips or sign of wear. If I could get one of those "fixed" ones it would be perfect. 9/10

Intangibles: The only problems with this stick are the paint chipping and the availability of them. if they sold them at LHS`s and not just Sportcheks I would be very happy. Other than that this stick is b-e-a-utiful. 10/10

Conclusion 74/80 92.5%

This stick is great and I really like playing with it. I have used Responses, RR`s and this is by far the best. I would definatley buy another one. This is a great stick and I suggest you pick one up.

Product - Hespeler Alpha Nemesis, 220 flex, RH

Reviewer - 5'11", 140lbs., forward

Aesthetics - Definetly a unique stick in pattern design. Enough patterns on it to make it look neat while not making it look busy. Colours are great, love the chrome finish on it. 10/10

Blade - Well, first I think I should mention the rubber insert on it. This thing works. Period. Felt nice to receive passes, pucks don't bounch off my blade like other composites. The blade itself was stiff, I had some chipping at the toe after two games, but thats due to my constant use of the toe to jam against boards and other people's sticks....and legs ;). It also felt nice to stick handle the puck with, you could feel it right against your blade, I don't have to look down as often when stickhandling. Great blade. 9.5/10

Flex - At first I thought it might be a little too stiff for me, but not by much as I'm used to using stiffer sticks anyways, I usually use 100 flex or similar sticks. You can feel the kick as you shoot, and to me, it seems to kick more when shooting rather than when flexing it by itself. My kind of flex for sure. 10/10

Stickhandling - Again, this is where the insert helps. You could feel where the puck is on the blade, receiving passes is nice and easy, the puck doesn't want to bounch like with other composite blades. The curve of the blade is nice for stickhandling as it suits my style of puck handling. The toe curve is great for toe-drags. 10/10

Shooting - I can hit bull's eyes with this stick like there's no tommorow....assuming I can get a shot off right. The curve, though good for stickhandling, was not too great for shooting, the puck kept flipping around and leaves my blade in weird tragectories....but after playing around with it a little more, I got used to the curve, though I sort of had to change how I shoot. The stiff flex helps with speed of my shot for sure. Slapshots, something I've never been good at was great. It felt good to get the slapshots off with this stick, it actually added some speed to it as well. 9/10

Weight & Balance - Very well balanced stick. Also very light. I think these compare to the first generation of Synergys in weight, but actually feels a little lighter than that to me. Can't say enough about the balance. 10/10

Durability - Don't know yet, I've used it for about 5 games now, besides the chip at the toe (which has not expanded like I thought it would) and the paint chipping, nothing's wrong with it. It still feels steady and rock solid, and I have not been too careful with it at all. Faceoffs, diggin in corners, taking slashes, slashing people, its gone through it all and coming on top with its head high. 9/10

Intagibles - Because of the paint chipping, the stick gets ugly after a while (c'mon guys, I know I'm not the only one hate seeing a stick getting beaten by the ugly stick....), but other than that, no gripes about the stick. Shooting is hard with the curve, but thats something I could deal with (practice, practice, practice) 9/10

Conclusion - Overall a very nice stick definetly helped me out performance wise, and it was only $99.99 cdn, so a very good bargain. Too bad they don't make these anymore, hopefully Hespeler will make more of these, or sell the patent off to some other company(which seems unlikely, but one can hope) 76.5/80 = 96%

Hespeler Alpha Nemesis 260 flex Pro 4 RH

Background - 5'9", 140lbs., defence

Aesthetics - who cares? i have no opinion really, it looks like a stick. i like that it doesnt stand out too much.

Feel - everyone so far has stated the pad on the blade was surprisingly effective and helped the feel of the stick. i started using the alpha nemesis right after i broke my true1, and the stick felt more solid, and a bit dead to me. i didnt have a feel for the puck, and at times the stick would send a huge vibration up my arm from a hard slap shot. 7/10

Blade - blade looked really strong, it was very stiff which was good. it felt dead, but those points were already deducted, so it was a stiff blade which i liked. it chipped at various places after the first few ice times but nothing after that. I hated the Pro4 curve, and i never really got used to it so its partly pp. 8/10

Shaft - the shaft was a good weight....but at 260 flex it was very stiff. i could barely get any flex or kick from slapshots. i was very disapointed shot-wise, but that wil be covered later. the shaft was quite good, but still far to stiff for my liking. i would have never expected such a difference between a true1 260 and the nemesis. i even cut the true1 an inch or two, but maybe this was only with my stick 8/10

Shooting - the shot was terrible for shooting. it was due to a combination of the flex and the curve, both of which i could not adapt to. my slapshots felt very weak, and i had no confidence in my shot for a while. wristers were decent, but again the curve was akward, and backhands were ordinary. The stiffness was good for one timers, as the shaft didnt torque, but still definitly lacking for me in this department. 6/10

Passing - passing was sub-par, as the blade was pretty much dead, i had to be alot more concious of cradling the puck and cushioning passes. again this was probably because i was too used to the feel of a true1 to appreciate the vybe insert. 7/10

Weight & Balance - balance felt great, i didnt cut the stick at all. the weight was what a stick should weigh, it was just about right. i was very satisfied with the weight and balance of the stick. 9/10

Durability - the stick is solid aside from the paint scratches and blade chips. it felt indestructable, but once again that can be attributed to the flex.... 9.5/10

Conclusion - stick wasnt right for me, i was very dissapointed. for someone stronger though, this may be a great stick if you like the curve. i just think the benefits of the stick went unnoticed when i tried it due to the fact i was using a true1 of my perfect flex and curve. but mostly my issues were pp. overall i rate this stick 8/10....but it could greatly vary. im suspicious that this was a 220 flex that got painted over for the sport chek sale

Edited by echi24

Product: Hespeler Alpha Nemesis / Pro4 pattern / 220 Flex / Right-handed

Reviewer. Age:17 Height 6’3 Weight: 210

Aesthetics –Stick is b-e-a-utiful, the high gloss look is really neat. 9/10

Blade - The blade is very well-made. Very stiff but not to stiff. No chips or anything yet. 9/10

Flex - It's a 220, which seem a bit to stiff for the rating, but once I got it on the ice it was a bit better. 9/10

Stickhandling/receiving passes – This is wear the stick really shines, the vybe insert really does work. Passes stick like glue and it doesn’t take anything away from your shot. 10/10

Shooting - The stick shot really well. Fired some good lasers with it, has some good kick in it too. 9/10

Weight and balance - Very good balance and weight to it, not to heavy, not to light. 9/10

Durability – 10 plus uses so far and no dents, dings, scratches, cracks etc, you get the point. Thing has been a tank so far. 10/10

Intangibles –Some people say they experienced chipping, but I have yet to have that problem. Maybe I am to easy on my sticks? Haha. 10/10

In conclusion, this stick was a beaut. Definitely one of the best one pieces or stick I have used to date. Pretty much perfect in my opinion. 75/80 = 94%