Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scubafrogman

Mission Pitch 3

Okay, I searched the archives and couldn't find what I was looking for.

I just received a pair of Mission S400 skates as a birthday present. I'm a novice skater that has been skating (playing rec. hockey) for a few years on a pair of Amp 3 skates. My question is how do I know what pitch I should be using?

What are the benefits/gains of each pitch -1/N/+1?

I'm about 6'0" tall and a light weight. Should I just go with the defualt "N" setting? Will this be the closest thing to the Mission Amp 3?

I checked Mission's website but can find the Pitch informatin on their new layout.

Thanks for the help on my newbire question!

Bare in mind I have no knowledge of pitch but I'm going to try help.

If you set the pitch to N, I'm assuming that it'll be more what you're used to if you used the Amp 3 skates. If you used -1 it would set the pitch back to feel more like tuuks and you'd be skating more on your heels. If you set the pitch to +1 would make it more like the cobras and you'd be skating more with a forward lean.

I could be wrong so feel free to correct me, just trying to help from what I have read.

Edit: If I were you I'd probably just leave it on default 'N' , however, you can mess with the settings and see which you like better. One may better suit your skating style. Perhaps, somebody else can offer more advice on this.

Thanks. That makes since. I think I'll leave it on N for now since Mission skates are the only thing I have skated on.

Like I said, I'm new to hockey and skating (within the past few years).

What would the benefits be of skating more on your heels or the front of your foot as oppose to just the nuetral position?

It is all personnal preference. Try them all out. The forward (+1) pitch, as I understand it, is better for forward skating while the backward (-1) pitch is better for backward skating. Other brands come with a built in pitch, but most skaters will change the pitch and radius to their own liking. I tried the neutral and the +1 and stayed with the +1. It felt right. Try them all. It may take you 5 minutes to change the pitch.

Thanks Jr!

I just noticed my 11.5 Amp 3 skates have 288mm runners on them. I held them up to the 296mm on the S400 and I will have a lot more blade on the ice on the S400. Hopefully this will help my pathetic skating skillz! :lol:

Thanks Jr!

I just noticed my 11.5 Amp 3 skates have 288mm runners on them.  I held them up to the 296mm on the S400 and I will have a lot more blade on the ice on the S400.  Hopefully this will help my pathetic skating skillz!  :lol:

Anyone know why my 11.5 Amp 3 skates had 288mm runners and my 11.5 S400 skates have 296mm.

Sizing has changed. You might have been better suited to wearing an 11.

The 11.5 S400 skates seem to fit fine. I wear a size 11.5 Nike.

With my heel all the way to the rear the right skate has a little room in the toe area but my toe lightly touches (feathers) the toe cap in the left skate.