Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sniper14

i need to get in shape!

i was wondering how i can get in shape for try outs next year i need to lose a bit of weight and i need to gain some muscle also need to work on my speed any ideas? any special diets i can go on?

Work out... running is always good. Skate out of your comfort zone, dont be afraid of falling and do new things.. thats the only way you get better.

How old are you? E.g. don't do a high-volume weights program if you're too young.

Im the same age as you, 2 inches shorter and about 10 lb's lighter. I have the same ideas for the summer.

At first i thought about following a 12 week pre season program, but im still growing and am afraid all that weightlifting would give me problems in the future.

SB39 told me about HIIT (high intensity interval training) which sounds like a very solid idea, i tried it today and wow, im dead. I tried it with Burpees, its a real killer, i can see myself doing this in the summer, in conjunction also with some gym work, some plyometrics, and cardio. So i get the best of all worlds.

A version of HIIT is the tabata method which i used in conjunction with the burpees, it can also be used with different exercises.

Good luck!

no sorry i thught you were my buddy cause his name is nick and his fav# is 23 and he is about that height lol what a coicidence(no idea how to spell it)

150th POST!

Haha cool that would be weird, sorry to dissapoint.

But back on topic, at our age being huge is not the most important thing, sure it helps, but if you can outskate a guy and keep that intensity up all game, you dont have too be ripped, which is why over the summer i will be working on mainly cardivasular fitness, accelleration and all that, ofcourse there will be light weight training involved just to tone up, but nothing over the top.

Normally, a summer training consists of 2 phases, the off-season and the preseason.

In the off-season you wanna gain a general base of fitness, aerobic training, flexibility, balance, off-ice skills work amd weighlifting for mass and strenght. And then after this phase comes the pre-season, when your work on plyometrics, anaerobic training, lifting for power (low weight, fast speed of movement) and sprinting....

im 16 and i weigh 165 and im 5 "11

You should be old enough to consider power cleans, deadlifts, squats, and lunges now. Good exercises for explosiveness and speed.

i will do that... is there any special diet i can go on such as like a p[roteind diet to lose some weight ecause im alittle chunky and not enough muscle..

I used to recommend Olympic lifts, but they require years of training to get them down, and they can be hazardous if messed up.

Hill sprints are an oldie but a bestie.

Squats, both types of deadlifts, chinups/pullups (weighted and not), dips (weighted or not), heavy calf work, upright rows (to the nipple only), and flat sprints are great for basic training. Also do a lot of grip work (it can make up for mechanics when your shot falters).

Remember, hockey is an anaerobic sport; short bursts of maximal or near maximal exertion interspersed with periods of gliding and sitting. I would advise running distances of over 4 miles 1-2 times a month; it's not very necessary.

I used to recommend Olympic lifts, but they require years of training to get them down, and they can be hazardous if messed up.

SB39 is right; if you're going to do power cleans, get some proper instruction first, and start with an empty bar until you get the technique right. Respect this lift, because it can hurt you.