Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hooah4

High Ankle Sprain

To make a long story short about 3 weeks ago I got slew footed behind the net, my Left leg collapsed in and I sprained my knee and ankle. I was diagnosed with a hign ankle sprain. Anyone ever have one? How long until you recovered? I can skate, etc. but it's still swollen. Will taping it help?

I had a high ankle sprain about 10 years ago (I was 27 at the time). I did it playing indoor volleyball. I was able to play volleyball again in about a month, with an ankle brace. It took about a year for it to really heal, though. Since you probably aren't able to wear a brace in your skates, you might have to tape it for about the next 6-8 months, just to be sure.

Did you say your still swolen after 3 weeks!

Man, I think that's serious. Been using Ice any?

What does Dr say?

I sprained my ankle last year in August

Immediatly iced it on and off for a couple hours. Swelling is the enemy of healing.

I limped for a couple days.

I skated in the Beer League C level championship I think 2 weeks after the injury although I was only about 80% and taped up my ankles

Dr. Gave me some stretching exercises and I looked up some other ones on the net and did them. I really did not continue doing them like I should have.

I wish I had taken the advice from this board and insisted on going to physical therapy. 8 months later, I still feel the injury in the form of tighness. I tend to favor one leg over the other and find I compensate by always transitioning from forward to backards in one direction (favoring my strong foot).

I can not emphesize how going to a physical therapist will help you get better. They know way more than a common DR. on what to do to speed healing.

Recently, I aggrivated my back and my recovery doing the stretches with the therapist has done better than the drugs. I've even learned proper streching and can now say I'm more flexable in my legs and back in just a matter of weeks.

Plus the weekly massages I get is worth the $20 co pay :P

Go to Physical Therapy!

Got films done. No fracture. Good thing I have a doc on my team. He said it will take time to heal, but is unsure of how long it will take. the sprain is too old to ice anymore.

My left leg went like > if you picture my hip being the top of the arrow and the bottom being my ankle. The problem was when my skate stayed upright.

You are actually better off breaking your ankle than spraining. Broken bones heal back but sprains do damage to soft tissue. You hear in the NFL of guys getting high ankle sprains and not playing for awhile. Make sure you do strengthening of it through physical therapy--that is key to your recovery.

So true BGM. i sprained my ankle at the end of November and did phyiso and i think it really helped. i did it 3 time a week for about 3 weeks and was back playing at 100% just after christmas. i tapeded it up and took practice (just skates gloves stick) about a week and a half it happend. anyways my left ankle is still bigger then the right, they said it will mostly like say like that for a long time but i dont have pain in it anymore just sometimes after alot of walking.

I sustained a high ankle sprain last summer when I caught a rut on the boards and folded my leg underneath me. I hit the boards so hard that I flipped around 180 degrees on the ice.

It hurt like hell but I iced the hell out of it and wrapped it for weeks afterwards. I still played our next game but I wish I hadn't as I think it slowed my healing by a few weeks at least.

Two games after the injury I sat out because of the shooting pain I would get every time I took a step on that ankle. The pain got less intense but I still felt "creaky" in my ankle for a good six months.

Good luck in the healing process. I actually have two high ankle sprains I am working on at the moment. I sprained my right ankle about 2 months ago and just sprained my other one about a week and a half ago. The first sprain indirectly caused the second sprain because I was over compensating on my good side. I am going to see an orthopedic surgeon this week to get xrays done and see where that goes.

Definitely ice the injury as soon as you can because the swelling will just lengthen your recovery time. Icing the injury is very important in the first 48 hours but you can also ice the injury even after that time period expires to help relieve any extra swelling or pressure that results from your day to day activities. Give your ankle plenty of rest and make sure you see a physical therapist to help you get back the strength and flexibility.

Be thankfull it was a sprain. I fell the same way and broken my fibula and had torn ligiments that are sprained in a high ankle. Had a screw put in my ankle, it was 6 months before I could even jog. 8 months after I started playing but it was still sore to take a full stride. It was about 1 year after before I could skate pain free. I tried tape and a brace that would fit in my skate and nothing really helped.