Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikael1052

Too much grip?

No need for another review but I wanted to second all the praise given to the Hot Shots so far. I used them for the first time last night on terribly dusty sportcourt and the difference was unbelievable. I was able to play differently as you know you'll be able to turn the corner on someone and make yourself space. I had been skating on some well-worn Kuzak Tri-Pour wheels which were good last season but never this grippy. I can't imagine what the Hornets could possibly do better. I'd pay $100 for the Hot Shots but got them for half that. If you need some wheels, get Rink Rats. If you don't need some wheels, get Rink Rats.

*it's out of order but he posted it in the review section so I tried to merge the two...- JR

I read a post on a different site where someone was complaining about their new RR Hot Shot wheels...loved the acceleration and starting grip, but felt they were horrible for stopping and skating backward. Although he did not say it specifically, I suspect that the additional grip had him stopping with almost no sliding. And the backwards skating was probably a similar problem making it more difficult to make a "C" cut. I think time would have improved this....

Is this a common problem....in the quest for "edge like" grip... meaning like skating on ice skates...are too many people now used to sliding to a stop in inline hockey to fully appreciate what this kind of grip can offer?

Personally I think that the stopping in inline hockey has been the most significant technical difference between ice and roller hockey. With wheels that can allow you to stop and change directions "on a dime" the whole game could change where transition becomes much faster, and where the contact version of the sport is played (MLRH) the ability to avoid hits can be enhanced.

Opinions?

i dont know about everyone else, but personally i like a bit of "slide". Hate ULTRA grippiness. (eg new wheels on a waxed wooden floor)

Ive had my Hot Shots for 4 months now, never rotated (although thats going to change this weekend when I clean my bearings) and they still look new except for some clouding. They grip almost as good as day 1 still but I have a much easier time skating and accelerating backwards then when I first got them. They take a little getting used to but Im a believer. My next wheels to try are going to be factory halo's. But thankfully I dont think I'll need to try them till around september, the RR's just last forever.

When I coached I taught the "jump stop" for inline hockey..to teach players how to stop on a dime. With the new wheels this somewhat exagerated technique is less needed in order to accomplish the same thing.

Based on how I always taught the game..create separation for offence and closure for defence, good edges in ice and good grip in roller meant easier separation, and faster closure.

You create faster separation and closure in basically 4 ways, out stop, out turn, out accelerate, and lastly just plain outskate(pure inline speed)...extra grip helps accomplish all of these.

It was not unusual to see inline players in a dash for the puck in the corner or against the boards, start to slow down 10 - 15 feet from the boards, due to their lack of confidence in being able to slow down quick enough. With the new wheel technology, you can see players skating full speed to the puck, and being able to stop safely before catastrophic impact is achieved...like I said..I am a believer in the new technology, and can see it making the game of inline hockey much closer to the game of ice hockey in terms of player skills and skating control.

whats the jump stop? im just starting roller hockey from 9 years of ice

and i cant stop for anything accept to drag my toe. anyone got any suggestions

for me to learn to stop good?

Thanks,

CaptainZbubble

the jump stop is basically the same stop as on ice.  Try to put as much pressure on your outter leg.

You are correct....except it's more exagerated, and better to land on both feet equally..less chance of slipping that way. Start with landing on both feet and as you feel comfortable with the technique, and if your wheels are good enough, you can try the one footed stop.

Practice it at slow speed jumping over your stick and turning 90 degrees in the air before landing. Let your knees collapse a bit as you land to absorb the shock, but push back up right away..further loading your wheels for increased grip. Do this in both directions. Eventually we used to train the kids to jump stop at full speed using upright hockey cones instead of sticks even doing 270's...but this was as much for a workout, and balance training as it was to teach the stopping. Very similar to ice training.

As your balance/technique feels stronger gradually increase your speed to where you find your maximum stopping speed using this technique.....and wear protective equipment when doing this ..particularily helmet, girdle, shin pads, elbow pads and gloves. The knee bend used when landing can also serve to load your push off to change direction as you get comfortable.

do they only come in the one grippiness? on epuck they're listed as XX soft

is there anything harder than this? i like labeda's soft..how do these compare...thanks

yo captanz i went from ice to roller also,when your going to stop on ice(lets just say right foot only -inside edge)you turn your boot slightly down to catch the edge,not much effert, right ,cause your wieght and momentum are stopping you with alittle bit of slide unless you dig in hard.with roller, turn your boot more down on a angle and apply more effert,turn your hip alittle bit also into the stop.keep your knees bent .we call this a power stop.after a while its just a reaction to stop just like ice.when you could stop on both edges inside and out both skates its such an advantage.4on4 roller really helped my ice game alot.its a great game.

I got a set of hornets and they are by far the best wheels I have ever used on any surface. There is absolutely no slipping at all when I push off and do quick turns. It does actually give an ice like feel with all that grip in the wheels.

Some of my wheels are already cracking in the middle and i've only skated with them in 3 games on sport court. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm about 175 pounds and using XX soft on the front and back and X soft for the middle two wheels. Both X soft and XX soft wheels are cracking in the middle...I'll see what happens after a few more games...

we just changed the Hornets after 4 and a half months. They were starting to crack around the middle but had done so after about 3 months use only. They were all the 62/76's

my rink rat wheels started cracking after 7 games ,i have hornets in the back and hot shots in the front,the front hot shots started clouding alittle bit after afew games,the back hornets have small cracks,nothing to crazy yet,still the best wheel ive used,the grip was sick the first few times i skated on them.for the price i think these are the best wheels ,just my opinion.just for the hell of it ,if it matters any i weigh 208lbs and skate hard,alot of turns and stopping.i will keep skateing on rink rat wheels until something better comes along.