Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

ice pucks

I have been thinking about getting a "grunchload" (I would like to find about 100 or so) of used ice pucks to shoot in the garage. They are a fifth the price of inline pucks when new, and even less if they are used. I won't be stickhandling or anything that requires them to slide very far or very fast, just shooting at a target. Will these mark concrete? I can very easily put down a peice of linoleum or something to shoot off of as well. Is there any downside to this idea?

Thanks

Yeah it can mark concretes really bad. One more downside is when the puck bounces off the concrete and hits you back so you should be really alert (ouch!)

Get a tarp and hang it from the ceiling and weight it down about 2 fett away from the wall. Then it'll catch the puck so it won't bounce back far and it won't mess the wall up.

Great ideas, thank you. I actually made a PVC frame and have a tarp attached to it. That way I can move it in and out of the garage as I need to. I have been using street pucks but do not have as many as I would like. I want to just tear through a stack of them without having to regroup. Maybe a couple sets of 100 instead of a 100 sets of a couple...

Has anyone tried shooting off linoleum? I know there was a thread some time ago about alternate surfaces for puck handling. As far as bouncing, it will improve on my already cat-like reflexes ;)

Thanks again.

It won't mark the floor, my experience is that it works really well to just shoot off of an oil slick, that way the puck feels like it's being shot off of ice. And protect the wall with an old carpet or a tarp and you'll be "eh" ok.

I have it on my back deck, with a net.. The only reason I have that is cause there is nails on the wooden deck, so its hard on blades sometimes..I find it very good for stickhandeling and shooting does not make a big difference. I dont see why you wouldnt get some. It'll definitley save your concrete. :)

Well, I do not think there is even a remote chance of that happening. My garage gets up to about 115 degrees in the summer anyway. Even if I could freeze the pucks, they would not stay frozen very long. My intent is to have a volume of shots per day. I am not necessarily looking for puck feel or anything like that. Just lots of muscle memory building.

We live in an area of California where you either enjoy (deal with/tolerate) the heat or you stay inside all summer. It's not like Phoenix or Palm Springs though, that is a whole other type of HOT... Most folk here shrink from the thought of "really cold weather". By that I mean anything below freezing (below zero is just something out of story books :o ).

I grew up (for 18 years anyway) in Northern Wyoming so I have a unique point of view in seeing both sides of the spectrum. I must say, though, that I prefer the COLD to the HOT. Hot is actually pretty easy to deal with. You drink lots of water and pay attention to your body. If you keep drinking water you can tolerate amazing things.

I also lift weights and sandbags in the back yard in the dog run. It is all gravel and really reflects the heat. My barbells get so hot if I leave them out that I have to wrap them in a wet towel for several minutes to cool them off so I do not get burnt. Either that or I use lifting gloves :angry: I am not much of a morning person anymore so I cannot get out there when it is still shady. My plates get pretty smokin' hot too, but I consider them part of my hand agility drills. (Hot potato anyone?)

I can actualy see the water vapor coming off the bar if I take the towel off too soon before it gets cooled down. NO S4!T The bar only takes about a second to dry off completely.

I consider it all mental toughness training. "The only easy day was yesterday".

Thats not safe dude. If it gets that hot, yo ureally shouldnt be shooting in there

I shoot in 110+ heat every summer here in phoenix. As long as you stay hydrated, you're fine.

Thats not safe dude. If it gets that hot, yo ureally shouldnt be shooting in there

I shoot in 110+ heat every summer here in phoenix. As long as you stay hydrated, you're fine.

'warrior' :lol:

Just out of curiosity, where are you buying this aforemetioned "grunchload" of ice pucks? I'm looking to do the same thing and I don't feel like forking out close to $100 just for practice pucks.

Just out of curiosity, where are you buying this aforemetioned "grunchload" of ice pucks? I'm looking to do the same thing and I don't feel like forking out close to $100 just for practice pucks.

I had my eye on a batch of 50 on ebay just now. I lost the bid to a sniper at the last minute. They went for 18.75 plus 11 shipping. Inlinewarehouse has them for 89 cents each if you buy a hundred. I am guessing that is similar to the price you are referring to. I will just keep my eye on ebay, as I really do not want to fork over 89 plus tax either. There must be a college equipment manager somewhere who tas a tub of old motheaten pucks he is dying to get rid of.....

Theres a place that has them 60 bucks for 100.

I am sure there is somewhere. Can you be more specific?