Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rawa9

summer hockey training

I've been off the ice for a couple of months, and starting to plan my workout schedule for the summer. I'll be on the ice every day, and will be working on my skills to get ready for tournament and showcases in april. My question is, im looking to get bigger and faster, but can i do all of this at once? Can anyone suggest a good schedule? Thanks

You should do a lot of varied stuff, like lifting, hiking up mountains, biking, plyo. If I had to pick one, it would be olympic lifting (power snatch, dead lift, etc).

If you go to a gym, consult a trainer there for a program. Or coaches usually know of good guys to do off ice training with and most coaches wouldn't say no to helping out one of their players. Usually for working out there's three steps, aerobic stuff for a few weeks, hypertrophy and i forget the name of the other one. But basically, you get aerobically fit, then you get strong, then you get big. That's the type of program I tried doing last year, but then vacation/golf/partying sorta got in the way of all that. I'm trying again this year and have been going at it for a few weeks already and so far there has already been improvement. If you don't have time to go hard and stick to a really strict schedule, just keep in mind that any kind of excercise like running or lifting weights whenever you can is good to do.

Aerobic - Big - Strong. Those are the three steps. You get the base, then you lift to get bigger/more muscle mass, then you increase your speed/strength with what you have. Lifting to get bigger after lifting to get stronger will take away your speed because the muscle fibers arent the same (ie fast twitch vs slow twitch).

After my current season ends and I drop to one team for the summer, I'll be doing light cardio just about every day except for game day in the mornings, then at night I'll either be lifting, doing HIIT training or having a game. I figure by the time the fall runs around I'll be in the best shape of my life.

Those of you who plan to play everyday in the summer be prepared, you will lose a lot of weight,and putting it on will be close to impossble. instead beginning of summer 2-3 times a week, then 2 weeks to a month before trainign camp go everyday