Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tryandstopme

weight difference with mico bearings

does anyone out there have any idea how much total weight per skate is saved using the micro bearing setup? I run 72mm labeda millenium grippers with abec 3/5 bearings. my skates are pretty heavy and i would definitely consider making a switch to the micros if they cut down like .5 pounds or so from each skate. any weight savings much less than that, and i'd rather spend my money on other things.

also, do the micro bearings use a different spacer? right now i've got the short floating spacers.

;) I think I read some where micro bearings(swiss) saves 8 grams per bearing. I upgraded my ccm's from maverich to pf 10's with micro bearing-most of the weight savings comes from the boot, not the bearings.

The 8 grams/bearing is the direct difference in weight between a 608 steel bearing and a 688 steel mini bearing. But when you add the weight of the extra spacers and the different mounting hardware back in..the weight savings is only 4 grams per wheel in either an 80 mm or 72 mm wheel....That is a total of 32 grams for both skates...or one and 1/7 ounces...or a little more than 1/2 ounce/skate...so minimal as to go almost unnoticed...in a lightweight skate that weighs 34...to 40 ounces depending on size.

Remember..micro bearings for inline skates came from speed skating. In that sport...the savings of a few grams over a distance of 20 km, can have some collective gains, as well as the reduced rolling resistance which can be beneficial in terms of conserved energy at the end of a long race. In the stop and go of inline hockey...with rests in between..those gains are virtually negligable....they might have some benefit at the end of a long game...but most inline hockey games are only 30 minutes long.

The comfort/discomfort, stiffness/flexibility, chassis mounting position, or even the pitch of a skate can have a far greater impact on lost energy than the weight. Maybe that's where all your efforts should go....

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll stick to 608 bearings. MDE3, you're right that my energies should be focused in other areas. I'd like to be able to kick my attachment to old school rockered frames for one. I've tried other frames like hi-lo's and have logged some decent time with them but I always wind up going back to a rockered frame. I flip flop between roller and ice and learned on a rockered frame like 8 years ago. Finding the old frames and finding current boots that are compatible with them is a real pain in the rear end.

Do not forget 688 only version wheels designed to complement lightweight skates and bearings. The Labeda Genesis wheels are 15 - 25 grams lighter than their 608 counterparts. That brings the overall weight substantially lighter and over the course of a tournament reduces fatigue.