Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

trainig over the summer

hey my travel season is over and i want to improve alot this summer. i just got one of those crossbow workout machines, do u guys know good hockey excersizes for these? Will running actually strengthen my legs and make me faster, or will it just improve my stamina? What do u guys do to help yourselves in the offseason?

Run hills, or better yet sprint them, in 30-50 yeard increments. Do lots of interval training, and if you don't know what that is, look it up on bodybuilding.com. Look up circuit training too and apply that to weight training workouts. Just try to be as high intensity in your training as you can, in general, and while retaining perfect form on all weights exercises... PM me for more.

"Complete Conditioning for Ice Hockey" by Peter Twist is an excellent book with good drills and variety. Plus, you can use your imagination and make these drills fit your strengths and style of play. Always remember to work on your weaknessess. You're already good at what comes naturally to you, but if you really want to improve your game you have to work at the things you're not good at. I know, working on your weaknessess is slow and frustrating, but you'll be the better player for it. SB39 is right. Perfect practice makes perfect execution. Very important: Practicing wrong will only make it worse. Perfect form is perferable over just muscleing your way through something. Start slow and have patience and discipline. Plus, play as many different sports as you can, namely tennis and soccer, which teach agility, hand-eye, and foot-body cordination all while keeping your head up. Swimming is great for body conditioning, but doesn't translate very well to hockey as a sport. However, swimming does get you to use anganistic muscle groups from the ones you use in hockey so in the long run you don't overdevelop muscle groups.