Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Harrow V3

Harrow V3 6' 256lbs

80 Flex

Pattern 4 (Coffey Clone.. as far as I can tell) 5.5 lie

I picked this one up on a closeout from my LHS. They are kind of hard to find now (I have been looking) because they repainted them when Christian wanted to use their logo on the sticks (Harrow = Christian). I was a little wary at first because Harrow was a well known lacrosse company and before a few years ago, I have never heard of anything from harrow as far as hockey goes.

BLADE- Harrow’s blades have always impressed me. They are thick, well made and look good. You can tell that they had quality in mind when they made their blades. The graphic is painted on (not a sticker) and hasn’t come off in my 5 months of use with regular re-tapings. The foam core helps the feel of the puck and it feels “softer†with the puck compared to other blades I have used (z-carbons, si-cores, bauer woodies and a few Sherwood carbons). I was worried about the blade being so thick, but it hasn’t affected my shot at all. After 6 months of normal use, I still cannot flex the blade and it is as stiff as the day I bought it. There is a little wear on the heel, but nothing that would effect the performance. 9/10

SHAFT/FLEX- The shaft feels a bit stiff for a 80 flex. I like a whippier shaft and this one took a while to get used to. I enjoy using it for defense because slashing is not an issue for durability on this tank. The grip was weird at first because it was my first grip stick, but it is still in tact and I have actually found myself wanting MORE grip now. I ended up candy striping it after a few months, not because of the grip coming off, but because I needed a LITTLE more grip. It’s a polar fiber so people who have never used grip before will like it because its not TOO tacky. 8/10

STICKHANDLING/RECEIVING PASSES- I was a little disappointed when it came to passing and receiving. It took me a long time to get used to how “soft†the blade was and I found that I had to adjust my style when it came to quick passes because the puck would die once hitting my blade. This was a GOOD thing that I was just not used to. 7/10

SHOOTING- I have really added a bit of power to my slapshot. I usually use a whippier stick, but this one has a little extra stiffness to it. I have noticed a difference in my shots and have actually been complimented on the speed of my shot by a few goalies. But with this, my wrister has lost a little velocity. I do not flex the stick as much when I wrist shoot but it’s a good trade off for my new found slapshot. I never use this stick when playing wing, so I don’t take too many writsters with it anyways. 9/10

WEIGHT/BALANCE- This is where the downfall is. It is a well balanced stick, but is a bit heavier than im used to. I loved the balance of the z-carbon and z-bubble and it was tough getting used to the overall balance of this stick. It seems a bit heavy.. not in the blade or shaft, but all around. 7/10

DURABILITY- This is bar-non the toughest stick I have ever used. It has taken slashes from college games and I have put it over the crossbar more than once with full intentions of breaking it. After all that, there is not even a chip in the paint. This stick is an ABSOLUTE TANK. 10/10

CONCLUSION- As a D-man, this stick is a dream. The shaft is stiff, the grip tough and has a very solid blade. I really like this stick and if I could find a few more in the same pattern/lie I would purchase them in a heartbeat. I cant wait for the blade to finally break so I can try a few different blades in the shaft. 8.5/10

If you like the Harrow V3, try the Christian Medalist. They will be available in two weeks. They are tanks, but brutally tough. At $99 (MSRP), they are easy on the wallet too. They will be available in pattern #1 (Modano/Forsberg) and #4 (Recchi). The seniors will only be available in a 100 flex. If you can deal with the weight, it is a tremendous bargain.

I am coming up on a year on this stick so I thought I would re-review it.

I have been using a TPS Xn10 Redlite with Zcarbon cnt for a few months now and love that stick, but thought I would try out one of my others for a house game tonight. I picked my v3 back up after not using it for about 3 or 4 months. The first shot I took was in warm-ups. It was a onetimer and it was absolutly the HARDEST slapshot that I have ever done. I actually hit one of my forwards in the cage (he was behind the net and I cleared the crossbar). He left the game early after throwing up at the bench and blacking out.

I played the entire game with it and I forgot how good of a stick this is. It still feels stiff, but I can really load it up. It took a little while to get back into a non-open curve but once I found my bearings I really enjoyed playing with this stick again. I actually thought about putting it up on ebay, but after tonight this stick is going to get a lot more play time.

BLADE- Still impressed. There isn't a chip in it yet! The feel is ok and its still nice and stiff. 9/10 then. 9/10 now.

SHAFT/FLEX- After using a TPS whip flex and wanting just a little bit more umph, this one is right on my sweetspot. I usually use an Easton 100 flex for slappers, but I think I will change over to this one for my defensive games. I feel like I have more control in my slapshots and I can really load up the shaft in my swing. Then 8/10. Now 10/10

STICKHANDLING/RECEIVING PASSES - Passes felt good as usual, but nothing to rave about. Catching passes feels soft off the blade. This is a plus for receiving passes, but its downfall with its feel. Its not as bad as the virutally numb Bauer V, but not as nice as my zcarbon. Then 7/10. Now 6/10.

SHOOTING- Read my story at the top of this post. Then 9/10. Now 10/10.

WEIGHT/BALANCE- Weight feels nice. I prefer a very light stick, but at least its balanced. Then 7/10. Now 7/10.

DURABILITY- Its almost been a year and the stick is virtually flawless. The grip is still there too. Then 10/10. Now 10/10

CONCLUSION- Somebody tell me where I can get another. There ARE better sticks out there, but try finding a better one with this quality for <$90.