Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Itech 908ti Titanium Cage

Got a chance to get one of the new Itech 908Ti cage in size large...I wear a Medium Rbk 8k Helmet, but prefer the Large cage on it rathe than medium(this could be different as everyone has a different shape head/face. When spending this much on a cage, make sure it fits! I will try to compare this to the Jofa/CCM 480 cage as I know it is probably the most popular cage. I have used it for nearly a month skating about every day.

Fit:

As you may know, Itech's cages are set up to have upside down clips rather than the regular setup on cages. Doesn't really make a difference in the fit of the cage at all, but this is yet another reason you need to make sure of the size of the cage before buying it as it is different than the average cage. For the actual length of the cage though, for Jofa/CCM 480 cages, they are about equal in length. The cage definitely comes out farther than a 480 cage, but is very easy to get used to. Wire setup is very nice and easy to see with on the ice. Chin cup feels great, but I still prefer the 480 or Bauer vecro chin cup over it. The straps weave through the chin cup to strap onto the helmet instead of being attached independently to the wire. No complaints here though.

10/10

Protection

A big part of why this cage is Titanium is because it is higher impact than a regular carbon-steel cage. I have actually taken a couple shots and sticks right to the face since putting this wire on, and there are no dents, OR even scratches on the thing. It looks brand new. A big advantage the Itech cages have over the 480 is the cut at the bottom. The Itechs bottom wire goes straight accross unlike the 480, where the cage goes down too far. The 908's chin cup actually comes below the cage. Does this mean slightly more neck exposed? Sure, but I'd rather sacrafice an inch or so, instead of having the cage jam into my neck every time I am hit high. It is also more straight cut going down the sides so your jaw is better protected.

10/10

Weight

This is where it shines. In today's market, it is all about how "heavy" something is. Although cages were never thought to be heavy (at least I hadn't heard anything), there really is a noticable difference in this one. It really feels weightless...If you guys wanting a cage coming from a half visor for protection, give this thing a look. Especially on an 8k helmet, this helmet is crazy light.

10/10

Durability

As I said in the Protection section, I have taken several shots and sticks to the face with no signs of wear at all...no dents, no scratches, nothing. I go through about 2/3 cages a year from huge dents and/or rust. I air out my stuff very well and still end up rusting the hell out of my cages. This has spend a couple nights after skating, being in a sweaty, moist hockey bag, and there is NO rust. I have metal clips on it, and they rusted...did the cage? nope...BIG plus. :)

10/10

Intangibles

Really, why do most people buy cages? Looks of course. It takes some getting used to but I really love how this cage looks now. It's nice to not look like everyone else on the ice with a 480 any more. Itech also changed their logo this year and it looks sick. On the side metal pieces, they have painted that new logo and it is also on the chin cup. Looks really good. I've been using a black cage for a while, and I like the dull silver color a lot more. Easy to see the puck with. Of course...as most of you know, this thing retails for around $130-$160 US ...at first glance that is unreal...see conclusion.

10/10

Conclusion

The price may be a lot, but I, at least, can justify it. Like I said I end up buying about 2-3 cages a year from rust and dents anyway. 3 CCM cages = about $90+ a season. I'd rather dish out the cash and get some durability out of this Ti cage than go through all that, plus have the other benefits that this cage offers. I'd definitely reccomend this cage to anyone who 1)Has the $$$ 2) Goes through cages like myself 3) Wants the newest, coolest equipment out there.

Hope that clears some stuff up about the cage, and if anyone has any more questions, feel free to PM me about it.

Edited by Edge

Itech 908Ti cage

Fit:

I have not noticed much difference in fit compaired to my Bauer cage. Although they both do fit diffently, my not noticing the difference is a good sign for Itech. This cage fits very well and in no way hinders my vision.

10/10

Protection

I take a lot of sticks to the cage, which is probably a product of playing adult league in NC and only being 5’7’’. The biggest thing for me is that a cage can one, stop a stick or puck, and two, not dent or chip. This cage has passed both with flying colors. I have taken the stray stick and puck a couple times and still looks new.

10/10

Weight

Isn’t this the whole reason for getting the cage in the firs place. This cage weighs nothing. It doesn’t affect the balance of the helmet and still provides the protection you need.

10/10

Durability

Now this might be the biggest plus to the helmet. I am not exactly the best at taking out my gear to air it out, so my Bauer cages have rusted very easily. One of the reasons I wanted this cage was in hopes of never having to buy another one and so far so good. I have had this cage for about 8 months and it still looks new. No signs of rust anywhere.

10/10

Intangibles

Not really much here. I have very good vision with the cage. I had the benefit of getting the cage at cost, so the price wasn’t a drawback at all. Looking at how this cage holds up, if you are willing to spend the money, it is a very wise investment.

10/10

Conclusion

Price aside, this by far the best cage on the market. If you are looking for something long term, than look no farther. This can very easily be the last cage you ever have to buy.

10/10