Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guy Incognito

Backwards Crossover

Agreed. I think of it as reaching with my inside leg, planting the edge and pulling my body over that leg. It's the "pulling" motion where you get your power.

That never worked for me. It never made sense. If you reach to the inside, say with your left leg, you'll be planting the inside edge. Then as you try to "pull" it under you, eventually the blade would go flat to a neutral edge and you'd lose it.

For me it was visializing myself running up stairs sideways. So its a little C cut with the right leg to get everything moving, my left leg moving under but pretty passively, then once I'm on my left outside edge and I get that "falling down" feeling I drive the left leg under, and the right leg is coming over for its next c cut.

But again, the feeling is much more of a running sideways thing. Plus, I only really use them to gain speed (3 or 4 really good hard strides) before going to just regular c cuts.

Agreed. I think of it as reaching with my inside leg, planting the edge and pulling my body over that leg. It's the "pulling" motion where you get your power.

That never worked for me. It never made sense. If you reach to the inside, say with your left leg, you'll be planting the inside edge. Then as you try to "pull" it under you, eventually the blade would go flat to a neutral edge and you'd lose it.

That only happens if you reach out incorrectly. The key is to plant the outside edge. Different things work for different people.

Seeing a video shows you what you want to learn, but not necessarily how to learn it..

I just skated circles over and over. I gradually learned to bring my outside foot in front of my inside foot. From there, I worked on leaving my inside skate on the ice for a little bit longer each time. Then, I started developing a little push with it. Eventually I got to the point where I was getting more power with my inside skate than with the outside skate.

This worked for me on forwards and backwards X-overs in both directions.

Once you learn them, you've gotta improve them.. Good knee-bend is important, as is the advice to lean with your lower-body while keeping your upper body fairly straight. Getting a good powerful push with both skates helps you pick up speed.

Seeing a video shows you what you want to learn, but not necessarily how to learn it..

I just skated circles over and over. I gradually learned to bring my outside foot in front of my inside foot. From there, I worked on leaving my inside skate on the ice for a little bit longer each time. Then, I started developing a little push with it. Eventually I got to the point where I was getting more power with my inside skate than with the outside skate.

Once you learn them, you've gotta improve them.. Good knee-bend is important, as is the advice to lean with your lower-body while keeping your upper body fairly straight. Getting a good powerful push with both skates helps you pick up speed.

yup, got ur point...

it shows u what to learn but not the step by step way of doing it right

... but at least it is starting from somewhere...

... seeing how it is done right...

... practice is still the key :P ...

yup, got ur point...

it shows u what to learn but not the step by step way of doing it right

... but at least it is starting from somewhere...

... seeing how it is done right...

... practice is still the key :P ...

And then you get new skates and you have to learn them ALL over again.. :D

I went from pro-lites to tblades and finally to tuuk+'s.. each time took a few days of looking like an idiot on the ice trying to re-learn everything. Backwards crossovers are always the toughest to "re-learn". It just takes practice.

I would also recommend having somebody go with you to a public skate and having them try and explain how they work while you watch.