Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoXish

Nervous...

So I stopped playing Ice Hockey maybe... 7 or 8 years ago, and concentrated soley on roller, stopped playing that 4 or so years ago and started playing Roller again a few months ago, it's gone well and I'm getting my game back.

So, I play on a house roller league and we don't have a game this weekend (sunday) because of the holiday... but I really want to play. I found out there's a pick up ice game at a rink near by on Saturday and I'm seriously considering going.

The downside to all of this is that I haven't skated on ice in... atleast 5 years. So, I go to a public skating session yesterday and see if I can get my feet back. It doesn't feel as foreign as I'd expected, but it's obvious I've lost what "honage" i had to my skills...

I'm super nervous about showing up on Saturday and making a fool out of myself...

Any tips on what I should pay attention to in transitioning from roller back over to ice with such a gap of experience?

Well i usually have that problem when i come out of summer and start a new hockey season.. im used to my super soft roller skates as oposed to my 1300c. What i used to do is id try and go on the ice before everyone like in tryouts or an ice rental so id get ready fast and hop on, gimme like 10 mins or so and id be back in the groove.. but thats for me. As for your case if your going out there with these hardcore players just keep it simple have a good laugh with the boys.. and if you dont know most of them honestly do your best if they bitch, let them it doesnt do them any good ur there to have a good time.. dont wry about what other think of you.. worry about yourself in situations like this.. youll be fine.. just dont go on the ice thinking your either bobby Orr or go on the ice thinking ur a shitty ass player.. do your things in all means

Just go for it. You may have to put your ego aside, at least at the beginning, but you'll soon find that it comes together. I played roller for about 8 years before I ever played Ice, and when I started playing pickup Ice I found that I was a step behind the play, and that I wasn't as efficient in my skating or with the puck.

I basically decided that I would simply play solid positional hockey, and I would wait for my skills on ice to grow to where they were in Roller at the time. What I found was that as I adjusted to the ice game, my roller game improved. As I adjusted to a faster game and worked on my positional play, the roller game started to "slow down" for me, and I was able to play the game more efficiently, with crisper passing and harder shots. My teammates on my roller team noted the improvements, and I was soon asked to join an ice team with the guys I played (and still play) pickup with.

Righto, I guess I'll just throw it all to the wind and go for it... on a minor note -- I don't have a chest protector at the moment... should I hold off on playing until I can get my hands on one?

I don't use one anymore. Unless you expect hitting, or play D and like to sprawl on the ice to block shots, you should be fine. If you don't have a decent pair of shin guards, I'd also not recommend blocking shots - thie puck hurts a hell of a lot more on ice.

I have noticed that the inline games that I play are more pivot and tight turns where as ice over here is more stop and go. As such, my advice would be don't be afraid to stop on ice. You're going to have to be comfortable with stopping on either foot/side (left or right) depending on where the puck and the play is. The sooner you get this down, the easier the game will be (provided of course that you're able to accelerate to the speed you want to after stopping). I have a bad habit of still pivoting instead of stopping and going on ice. Just another one of many things I have to work on my ice game.

Yeah, stopping is going to be an issue. I was never strong stopping with my left foot and it really seems as though I've lost what little grasp I had on that years and years ago. Oh well, it's all about practice.

And yeah, my shinguards should hold up well -- I do play defense, but I'm not in habit if sprawling out -- although I can see my playing style enabling that method, I won't go into it until I obtain a good pair of shoulder pads.

I use Itech Kinetix 8 shinguards, I think those should do.

B000BI2NRY.01-A1IB6ZSJX5ILW4._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

As long as they protect from the top of the pants right down to where you lace up your skates.

Speaking of skates, ask around about where the good skate sharpeners in your area are, and don't be afraid to try different sharpenings if it doesn't feel just right. Give your sharpener feedback as to what you like and what you don't like about the blades. Once you find something you like, stick with it. Getting the right sharpening is like using a good set of high end wheels.

Don't even worry man. We always get new guys at pickup and as long as they're cool it's no big deal. Don't be afraid to talk on the bench or on the ice either. You'll get to know the regulars quick if you do that.

I just got my skates sharpened at "regular" -- assuming that's 3/4? I don't know anything about hollows... my dad always had my skates sharpened when I was younger... what's the difference, and what are the measurements?

think of a ball 1/2" wide, imagine that ball grinds down your blade, that curve is your hollow. the bigger the ball the shallower the cut. Does that make sense?