Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adam91

How to become a better 1on1 player?

Another question. How can I improve my lateral movement? and my crossover quickness? just repeatedly do quick crossovers on my blades?

That's just quick feet. Jumping as far as you can side to side is good for your lateral movement strength. Try moving your feet as quickly as you can for 60 seconds laterally and then try to improve upon that.

I'd say work on your twitch muscles and acceleration so you can jet past them and also make sure you have agood idea of where the opposing players reach goes to, i cant think of many things more frustrating then having a perfect 1-1 and pulling the perfect move and being poke checked

I'm interested in comments on this as another way to be a better 1-on-1 player.

Everyone has experienced the phenomenon of how the action slows down as you master a sport. Eg in tennis or baseball, the ball "appears" to be slower giving you more time to hit it, in hockey you "see" the ice and the play better which gives you both more time and more room to read and react.

I've always thought this was simply mastery, you are less "occupied" with the mechanics of the game, so more of your brain gets freed up for other things.

However, a guy who is a martial arts master as well as excellent hockey player/coach was just telling me that this phenomenon actually is your breathing. As you master a sport your breathing becomes more regular and this causes things to "slow down" for you. He thinks people can actively learn breathe control in hockey to not only have increased energy and stamina but more time to read and react.

Has anyone heard about this? Any thoughts?

You can create time and space by a number of ways, grasshopper! One way is just to be where the puck is going to be sometime in the future--a combination of knowing good positioning and being able to see the ice. One simple way to see the ice is to use a brock string and practice with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_string

Make one up like this, but with a 20' string and some painted tennis balls. You practice being able to quickly change focus from near to far to mid to....

Helps you to "see" the ice.

Yeah, that is very true. You are looking for an all out, 110% effort, explosive movement. Feel free to rest good and long before the next one. You are trying to 1) grow more fast twitch muscles, and

2) teach your brain to fire the muscles quicker

If your explosive movements are lacking because you are doing too many or too long a period of time, then guess what, your explosiveness on the ice will be similarly lacking! You are just training your body to be SLOW in explosiveness.

60 seconds of plyometrics/jumps is way too much. 20 sec max, 15 sec is better.

My sports conditioning therapist always used 30 seconds.

If you can't skate, you can't make the move.

If you don't practice the move over and over, you won't have the confidence to pull it off in a game.

Be able to visualize the moves without the puck and do your skating.

Then work in the puck and do the moves in a "stick time" or "stick and puck". Do the moves over and over till they become comfortable.

Get to the point that you can do the move and still be looking up. That way you can time the move better and pull it off.

Then work it out in pickup.

See if there is a Turcotte school or get the DVD.