Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

All is well in Leafland

wow - i really should be skating more wherever jfj hangs out....i don't even consider belak a 'big strong enforcer' - so really what is he aside from affordable ($675K)....

so really what is he aside from affordable ($675K)....

He can play both F and D. He actually wasn't that bad towards the end of last year.

I like this signing for the Leafs, as kosy said, he is versatile at the very least...

And as for his "big strong enforcer" tag, I believe it. Have you not seen this guy fight? He more than holds his own...

Without Domi they needed an enforcer, every team does and I guess they figured Belak could be that guy and play multiple positions and is cheap. I never understood why previously they had Domi and Belak, only need one enforcer but with Domi out of the picture this is something I guess they had to do.

so really what is he aside from affordable ($675K)....

He can play both F and D. He actually wasn't that bad towards the end of last year.

You know what, I thought the same thing too. He looked like he was playing pretty decent and not out of place. I remember earlier during the year the guy was out of position and questioned how he made it to the NHL.

One thing I will always remember, Pat Quinn said that Wade Belak is the "FASTEST BACKWARDS SKATER ON THE TEAM". I do have to admit I one saw him in the preseason blue and white game live and the guy can skate backwards fast with authority.

In my opinion when i saw him playing for Coventry he didn't look the most co-ordinated player and queit often gave the puck up, but then again they aren't signing an average 6' 200lb player are they signing a large physical presence

Belak's underrated. He's a very good fighter as I've seen him go shot for shot with some of the better ones in the league. Especially considering he came to the Leafs as a speedbag.

He plays two positions and with a good partner on D, can play well on forward or D. He hits and fights. The extension brings down his cap hit this year a little bit (I think he was at 750K this season). Pure role player, but seems to pay have paid his dues, sticks up for his teams and does what he can on the ice.

Speaking of Leafs size, apparently Stajan has bulked up from 185 to 210. Thats just what he needed to do, and hopefully this will help him have a breakout year.

25 pounds since the end of the season? If thats the case, hooray steroids. :D That's damn impressive on his part, the kid is going to be solid for a long time, and hopefully will open leaf management's eyes toward a need for a youth movement.

I guess he wants to get down to 200 for opening night. Still, his dedication is impressive. I just wish he would have taken Steen and Welly with him to the gym.

...hopefully will open leaf management's eyes toward a need for a youth movement.

You might have figured that the past 5 years or so of futility would have done this, but the Leafs front office still has an inexplicable raging hard on for vets at or near the end of the tunnel. It like they don't like anyone under the age of 32...

...hopefully will open leaf management's eyes toward a need for a youth movement.

You might have figured that the past 5 years or so of futility would have done this, but the Leafs front office still has an inexplicable raging hard on for vets at or near the end of the tunnel. It like they don't like anyone under the age of 32...

Two players on the Leafs are 32 or over- Sundin (hands down the best player on the team) at 35 and Peca at 32. Its a very common misconception about the Leafs that they're really old.

Two players on the Leafs are 32 or over- Sundin (hands down the best player on the team) at 35 and Peca at 32. Its a very common misconception about the Leafs that they're really old.

Sorry, meant free agents and offseason moves of the past X years, y'know, Belfour, Nolan, Peca, Nieuwendyk (whom I loved anyway, he still kicks ass and is clutch), Roberts...

EDIT: Glen Wesley, Leetch...they've lost most of the old guys, that's why they're "younger," now.

I read about Stajan's weight gain the other day. Should help him out a ton. I'm pretty sure he works out at Mind to Muscle, a gym in Mississauga, supposed to be really creative and unique. Most of their programs are designed to work your body while also keeping you focused on other things. The theory is your body will be able to react to the surroundings the same as everyone else, but your mind is almost able to hover about it and keep you a step or two ahead.