Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

turcotte44

Bag Skate Advice

I'm getting bag skated for an hour and a half each day this week. No pucks. Does anyone have any advice in order to reduce lactic acid burn and be able to skate at a decent pace the whole time?

Not now. If you had started training a month or two ago, doing 45 minutes constant speed on the excercycle,then you could have trained your body to deal with the lactic acid.

The best advice I can give you at this late state it to hop onto an exercycle every night for 20 minutes (or more if you can do it) and try to work out that stuff. Drink lotsa water, have some vitamins, some gatorade, etc.

I'm getting bag skated for an hour and a half each day this week. No pucks. Does anyone have any advice in order to reduce lactic acid burn and be able to skate at a decent pace the whole time?

:huh: Whats Bag skate/ing?

Sounds like a right bitch, but you'd need lots of carbs like pasta and I can't remember what thread it was but someone posted on here a news item that proved that Lactic acid was good for you and part of the bodys way of producing energy or something

Sounds like a right bitch, but you'd need lots of carbs like pasta and I can't remember what thread it was but someone posted on here a news item that proved that Lactic acid was good for you and part of the bodys way of producing energy or something

whats lactic acid?

That was me...Here's the link....

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/index.php?sh...22323&hl=lactic

Not sure if this is true, but I was told be a junior A trainer that when you shower, alternating from hot to cold after building up lactic acid will help to flush it out.

I heard something similar as well, had to do with contractions of your muscles.. I think i've heard of it from some bodybuilders and is supposed to stimulate some additional gains.. Probably a myth.

I have always found that if I play several games in a day (tournament)...sitting in our hot tub that night makes me feel better in the morning. Just overall recovery from the bumps, bruises, sore muscles...

Maybe it is just psychological...or the beers I drink while soaking? :blink:

Seriously though...keep up with your fluids. Water, sports drinks, etc. Remember you need to replace more than just the H20.

Also, strech properly.

Lactic acid is the burn when you do Herbies. (sprint, stop,sprint stop etc)

DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) is what you feel the next day and if your older like me, worse 2 days after.

You can train to get used to lactic acid buildup. You can train and get into better shape to deal with DOMS.

Both take time.

Like they said, stay hydrated. I prefer gatorade mixed with extra salt so I don't cramp up. I now drink a large bottle of it (probably 40oz) in the half hour before I play games or pickup. Have not cramped since.

Day 1 of 4 is over.

It was pretty tough, i've been training for speed and interval work all summer for short distances and have put on 15 lbs of muscles since april. So my long distance(aerobic capacity?) is definetly lacking and my body is still getting used to lugging around the extra body weight. I just started using the Kre-Alklyn creatine supplement a couple days ago and neglected my water intake. Could this be the cause for the severe lactic acid buildup early on(15 minute mark) into the practice. I think alot of it is psychological. The guys who were positive and stayed motivated definetly found it much easier. I figure all it can do is help me. I guess now I'm looking forward to tommorow.

Contrast showers are used by athletes for recovery. They stimulate circulation which helps flush some of the waste product from the muscles. You go as hot as you can stand it for 3 mins, then coldish (not freezing) for 30 seconds. 3 cycles is adequate.

While lactic acid doesn't impair performance as had been believed for years based on one flawed study, it still is uncomfortable and you have to build up your tolerance to it. But hockey is an anaerobic sport and bag skating for 1 1/2 hours may sound cool to some uneducated coaches, but it puches you into the aerobic zone for the majority of the workout, neglecting the anaerobic energy system, and produces the ability to skate slow for long periods of time.

Your muscles produce energy via a process that requires oxygen as a resource. The harder you work, the more energy is needed, which translates to the need of O2 for energy production. When your body is low on oxygen (like in the middle of an intense workout), it still must produce the energy to put out. It does this via fermentation that occurs in muscle cells. The only downside to fermentation is its by-product, lactic acid. As stated above, lactic acid is the cause of that pain/stiffnes etc.