Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Konig von Kuhlem

Quickness Training

I strongly 2nd that! Get an agility ladder and one of the tapes that show you how to use it (there are something like 100 different exercises). Use it a little every day and 2 weeks later you will see a huge imporovement in foot speed.

Everything else you can do is much more time consuming, but utimately worth it and should also be pursued. Squats, etc, to get the leg strength there, then after the legs are strong enough for them, plyometrics like cone jumps, box jumps, sprinting up an incline, bounding. If you do not know the drills, a video tape is a good investment. "Jumping into plyometrics" is a good one. Just be aware that only some of the plyo is useful for hockey, you do not have to do all of the exercises on the tape!

Also, be aware that you can "make" your own agility ladder with some friction tape on the floor, and can probably find some of the exercises online for free!

-skate a lot and skate hard on ice with good form

- heavy lifting 2-3 days a week including olympic lifts like power cleans or clean and press

-plyometrics and quickness stuff...squat jumps, lunges, 1 leg squat jumps, short agility sprints, karaoke runs, running backwards, sideways, etc

-sprints and hill sprints, you can use ankle weights too, biking, inline skating (intervals)

Try to do all this stuff (minus the lifting) in the same workout...if you do a total workout of maybe 60-70 minutes, go hard on one thing for a couple minutes, then do a light jog, then go hard for another couple minutes on something else, light jog, etc. This will keep your heart rate up the whole time, and serve as good cardio, simulating a hockey game.

I have to say quickness ladders have been great for me...You can also make up exercises for them that you think would be good for hockey, etc.  Just use some common sense and it goes a long way- As long as you keep the principals of plyometrics in mind, they will work.

Cool! Where can I get ladders that roll up for storage?

http://www.power-systems.com/nav/closeup.a...Agility/Ladderâ„¢

They have strings holding the slats, so they pack into a small bag. You do not need an expensive one, just put a weight plate on the two ends so it does not move around. They are best to do outside on the turf, but you can do them inside if you have "cushy" sneakers on.

You want the tape also. It is mesmerizing to watch someone who can do it really fast!

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx?ID=4308

When you watch the tape it will make sense, but if you do not watch the tape, the goal is to be able to do it around 4X faster than you think you can do it when you first start! Keep your body low and centered, eyes not looking down.

I have to say quickness ladders have been great for me...You can also make up exercises for them that you think would be good for hockey, etc. Just use some common sense and it goes a long way- As long as you keep the principals of plyometrics in mind, they will work.

ever do c walking? i heard it helps

:lol:

Man, that clip is WAY TOO SLOW! Agility ladder drills around 5 to 10 times faster.

You do NOT want to do it on the dirveway if at all possible, since the constant fast pounding will screw up your ankles/joints pretty quickly. Like I said, on the turf is best.

If you explain more about what you want the book to be able to do and what you are looking to train we'll likely be able to help you better.

I was looking for drills for mainly improving foot speed and changing directions quicker. I hope that clears things up a bit.

If you can squat twice your body weight, you can get into plyos. a simple yet very effective routine would look something like this.

leg day 1: 3 sets 8-7-6 reps

squats

deadlifts

calf raises

4 days later

leg day 2:

6 reps on the speed ladder

4 sets of drop jumps, 10 reps each, 5 minutes between sets

6 sets of ab workouts

3 days later repeat

on your off days do sprints up an steep hill. make sure your running at full speed or increase your rest time between sprints. Take the day off completely from leg workouts the day before you do your heavy lifting. What I laid out can definatly be tweaked but its a good basic starting point to work in with your regular weight lifting.

Rather than actually buying an agility ladder, I just draw one with chalk on my driveway

I just have one down with tape in my room.

If you explain more about what you want the book to be able to do and what you are looking to train we'll likely be able to help you better.

I was looking for drills for mainly improving foot speed and changing directions quicker. I hope that clears things up a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=667308

I would recomend reading through that article and making use of the stuff from the change of direction training.

The jump roping and the pogo jumps are all useful for foot speed.

That is a really great set of stuff. If you do that during the summer, you are going to be in great shape for the season.

Of course, some of those things (tire flips, heavy squats, etc) require precise and correct form to get maximum benefit and NOT hurt yourself, so you should only try these with proper supervision. These are not brute force exercises, but a proper technique needs to be followed.

problem is the timinng, fall's here and everyone's got school/work and hockey, not to mentijon other sports and activities.

its really hard for me while doing the power portion of gladitor training while getting less than 6 hours or rest everyday