Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pong

deodorant / anti-perspirant on hockey gear...

just wondering...

can spraying this to hockey gear like shoes or gloves or whatever

prevent smell?

this is supposed to kill the bacteria when we sweat so it could possibly

kill the bacteria in the hockey stuff...

of course... drying is still necessary...

the only thing it will do is make your gear smell like Right Guard or whatever deoderant you use. It's not going to get into the bacteria that is absorbed by the padding and fabric.

I just got a new washer that has a sanitary cycle. It washes at 167 degrees (f). The whole wash cycle takes 1:45. But I was impressed because when my gear was done the smell was gone.

chk hrd is correct - masking the smell will do nothing - you need to kill/get rid of the bacteria that causes the bad smell.

An enzyme cleaner should work; it breaks down protein based bacteria like sweat. And can be sprayed on and left to dry.

I'm in the process of figuring out which type of enzyme cleaner. The ones sold in pet stores are probably the right kind. I'll let you know once I finish looking into it.

I swear by Anti-Icky-Poo. The name's kinda silly, but it's a live (good) bacteria and enzyme solution that gets rid of the odour. It's designed to be used safely on wet-clean fabrics so hockey gear's no problem, you just spray it on and let it dry!

--nick--

I swear by Anti-Icky-Poo. The name's kinda silly, but it's a live (good) bacteria and enzyme solution that gets rid of the odour. It's designed to be used safely on wet-clean fabrics so hockey gear's no problem, you just spray it on and let it dry!

--nick--

Nick - do you know what combination of enzymes/bacteria are in Anti-Icky-Poo?

That's exactly what I was talking about earlier... a protein enzyme spray is ideal for hockey equipment.

someone posted a while ago about using rubbing acohol and hydrogen peroxide on there gear so i started doing that and it seems to work better than anything i've ever used, kinda makes your equipment smell like a doctors office thou. So i just spray my stuff with hydro/alcohol mixture let it sit overnight then hit it with febreeze and i have fresh gear.

I've read that too. I'm not sure about peroxide... yes it will kill the bacteria but I don't know if it won't also weaken thread or glue. Don't know that it wouldn't be just fine either.

it might, but i dont know. I'd try it on something that you dont really use that or something that's not so expensive like elbow pads or shoulder pads first just to see how it works.

m just new so i dont even have a complete set of equipment yet :P

im thinking of spraying (isopropyl/rubbing alcohol on my shoes... particularly the footbed... it doesnt smell yet... but i think this could be

a preventive measure...

Enzyme stuff works on protein oriented stains and smells. So I'm convinced that it would be the way to go because human sweat is a protein and it is the bacteria that causes the smell.

I suspect it is the active ingredient in the sports equipment bacteria sprays you can buy for mega dollars for a wee bottle. If so, and there are a number of different types of enzymes, then I bet something like "nature's source" which is a gallon concentrate for much smaller dollars, would be the ticket.

Guess I have to go read labels. LOL You can buy enzyme sprays at pet stores because the same enzymes break down protein stains and smells like dog pee, vomit and blood. And it is safe for fabics. I'll go read some labels... been thinking about this one for a while.... time to figure it out and move on...LOL

Hi Hockeymom,

After you told me Lysol may cause fabric to break down I found something called Nature's Miracle at the pet shop.

I tried it this afternoon and it works way better than Lysol, Fabreze and the spray they sell at my local hockey shop.

Ingredients: Water, enzymes, isopropyl alcohol, natural citrus scent.

709 mL for $11 can

Thanks

hmmm.... nice idea... pet cleaners (im not sarcastic)

if it could remove the smell of pee on the furniture and everything... then

most probably it could kill the smell of sweat... and the bacteria that comes with it

hehehe

someone posted a while ago about using rubbing acohol and hydrogen peroxide on there gear so i started doing that and it seems to work better than anything i've ever used, kinda makes your equipment smell like a doctors office thou. So i just spray my stuff with hydro/alcohol mixture let it sit overnight then hit it with febreeze and i have fresh gear.

Use Wintergreen rubbing alcohol, not just the regular stuff. You'll smell minty fresh!

Hi Hockeymom,

After you told me Lysol may cause fabric to break down I found something called Nature's Miracle at the pet shop.

I tried it this afternoon and it works way better than Lysol, Fabreze and the spray they sell at my local hockey shop.

Ingredients: Water, enzymes, isopropyl alcohol, natural citrus scent.

709 mL for $11 can

Thanks

Obviously a man of action! That's the one I was trying to remember.... Nature's Miracle.

Although I'm sure any of those protein enzyme cleaners would work just as well... really all the same stuff as I recall.

Now we'll just have to see if I manage to get out before the week is finished ... :unsure:

I swear by Anti-Icky-Poo.  The name's kinda silly, but it's a live (good) bacteria and enzyme solution that gets rid of the odour.  It's designed to be used safely on wet-clean fabrics so hockey gear's no problem, you just spray it on and let it dry!

--nick--

Nick - do you know what combination of enzymes/bacteria are in Anti-Icky-Poo?

That's exactly what I was talking about earlier... a protein enzyme spray is ideal for hockey equipment.

I don't really know since it's a trade secret what the exact properties are, but it's a specially formulated/patended strain of bacili called the A.I.P Bacilus Subtilus according to the company's MSDS. It's not a disinfectant, since disinfectants interfere with nature's method of getting rid of the bacteria that cause odours. It sends in good bacteria to eat the bad bacteria faster, in a nutshell.

--nick--