Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ballbearing

Elbow pads not protective enough?

Hello, I played last night (no check beginner) and fell a couple of times on my elbows. These were not hard falls. My right elbow hurt after the game but today it's worse. There is a red mark on the "cap" or tip of the elbow and this is where it hurts the most.

My elbow pads feel good while I'm wearing them and they don't seem to slip. I never had to re-adjust them during the game. Also, I had two people check them and they say they are the correct size.

My question is this: Do the higher end pads protect more in this area or is there something wrong with these pads? They are Jofa 5500, bought new and this was the first time I used them. I checked them for cracks but can't see anything.

My other thought is that the pads are OK and maybe my fall was harder than I thought. However, I would think that these pads would absorb more impact than that.

Thanks.

If you fall directly on the tip of the elbow, you will be a little sore no matter what pad you use. The key is to fall with your arm parallel to the ice.

I haven't previously injured my elbow that I can recall.

It's possible that I fell directly on the tip of the elbow. I just assumed that the pad would protect even in that situation.

If that's not the case then at least I'm glad that I was wearing the pad. If not I probably would have had a trip to the hospital.

Thanks.

Guest 2048
The key is to fall with your arm parallel to the ice.

The problem is when you're not expecting to get hit from behind and fall with it perpendicular to the ice while moving forward...just did it tonight, shoulder still hurts but i scored a goal and hit a post after it happened.

Sounds to me too like you just hit the right spot. I did this once with a old set of Coopers and it split my elbow open and I still have a loose piece of bone in there. I switched to Easton Ultra Lite and have never had a problem since. Do your pads now have a hard cap on the elbow?

Yea, you definitly fell just right. In my opinion, Jofa makes the best protective gear (ie shoulder pads, shins, elbows) but like Chadd said, try to fall parallel to the ice because when you impact on a single point the shock cannot be distributed over a larger area because the pad comes to a point as well.

JDP (Joint Discharge Principle) is a system that directs the force of an impact away from your joints and towards your meatier, padded muscles. What should happen is the ice hits the cap, the cap hits the padding, and the padding hits the muscles. But the 5500 doesn't have a very tough foam. The tip of your elbow probably squished and stretched the foam, then hit the plastic cap. It happens so quickly and returns to normal shape that it's hard to believe it happens at all. The 5500 isn't equiped to handle that type of fall at that type of force. There is nothing wrong with your pads, they are just more pliable than higher models and thus less forgiving when you fall awkwardly. Your elbow pads won't last more than a season if you keep falling this way. The foam will get quished and stretched permanently and lighter falls will hurt almost as if not wearing pads at all. If it scares you to play with that risk, go for better pads. I think you'll be fine with them if you start to fall on your elbows less often. Try to land on your knees and fists.

Just to throw this in. .

I didn't wear elbow pads for years. I'm 23 now, and after many times falling, and dealing with pain, I finally decided to get some. I got the Nike V10's, and for somebody who hated wearing elbow pads with a passion, I don't mind them at all. They're light, fit snug and are very comfortable all game long. I'm definately glad I got them.. Now I don't have to worry about falling in certain ways, haha..

I also play at a fairly high level and take a good amount of slashes and hacks. No issues protection wise, really. I love 'em. Not bad for 55 bucks.

-M