Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockey4ba

Baking skates at home

Does anyone have any suggestions or insight on possibly baking my wicked 3's at home in my own oven? If anyone has done this with their skates or knows how, please fill me in.

not bad instructions from e-puck but one thing i would do.put some oven gloves or pot holders under the skates ,i wouldnt put my skates directly on a metal baking sheet in a oven.

Does anyone know how they actually do it in the pro shops:? Dont they use ovens with fans instead of convectional heat ovens (ones that you bake with).

Does anyone know how they actually do it in the pro shops:? Dont they use ovens with fans instead of convectional heat ovens (ones that you bake with).

they use special skate ovens, wich are made for what you are doing...plus i think they are under warrranty of the skate too

I was thinking of making my own bake oven...tell if you all think this would work:

Make a box out of wood. Hinge one side like a door. (make the box the same specs as the normal skate baking oven)

Cut a hole in the top of the box large enough to insert just the end of a hair dryer or heat gun. Place the skates in the box without the insoles and close the door. Turn on the hair dryer/heat gun (low heat for a heat gun) and leave on for a few minutes (times will vary)

I have a heat gun I've used to heat skates in the past, but I'm thinking this may help heat them more evenly.

Comments? Suggestions?

I'd let a store do it for you personally, warranty coverage and all. If you're bound and determined to do it at home, here's some decent instruction on it:

http://www.epuck.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...eat_molding.htm

I used this method to bake my PF10's. I used my dad's digital thermometer to dial in the temp exactly and checked on them every 5 mins to insure no burning. Came out perfectly. I may bake one more time to give it the best fit but it is easy to do and you can save $20+ dollars.

Scott

I can see people baking their own skates when they have no alternative (no LHS within 300 miles).

But really, considering the size of your investment in skates - why in the world would you risk ruining your skates or causing premature breakdown?

Saving $20 or $50 doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I can see people baking their own skates when they have no alternative (no LHS within 300 miles).

But really, considering the size of your investment in skates - why in the world would you risk ruining your skates or causing premature breakdown?

Saving $20 or $50 doesn't make any sense to me at all.

On the question before you I left the insoles in.

Sure you run the risk but you run the risk of damaging your car when changing the oil but people still do it themselves anyways.

I personally don't like paying someone for something that is pretty easy to do. If you read the instructions and maybe practice on an older pair of skates that dont exactly fit then you should be able to do it pretty well.

I will be baking my skates 1 more time tonight but if your not a do-it yourselfer I would stay away but it is fairly easy and you can put that money towards new gloves or a stick.

Scott

I recently picked up a pair of lightly used Vapor XX's on the cheap as I don't play much ice hockey but needed a new pair. The first time out, the Bauer arch killed my foot and I forgot how long my old Supremes took me to break in.

Considering what I payed for them I decided to risk a home baking. I followed some online instructions, lined the tray with foil, did one skate at a time, and kept them on the low tray of the oven away from the heating element. They came out great, perfect fit and no scorches or deformation. My conclusion is that its a lot easier than some people with vested interests would like you to beleive

I was thinking of making my own bake oven...tell if you all think this would work:

Make a box out of wood. Hinge one side like a door. (make the box the same specs as the normal skate baking oven)

Cut a hole in the top of the box large enough to insert just the end of a hair dryer or heat gun. Place the skates in the box without the insoles and close the door. Turn on the hair dryer/heat gun (low heat for a heat gun) and leave on for a few minutes (times will vary)

I have a heat gun I've used to heat skates in the past, but I'm thinking this may help heat them more evenly.

Comments? Suggestions?

sounds like it would work, but you'd want a baffle or some sort of air diffuser, because what you're describing, will still heat the skates unevenly.

Am I the only one that has put on a brand new pair of skates and have no pain or fit issues? I bought a pair of Canadian Tire Easton Synergy skates and they've fit great since I bought them.

my Tour Blue max fit better than i could have ever hoped for without baking.

no pain, no blisters, no discomfort at all.

i've baked my kor skates in my home oven. i find that i had to set it a little higher then what they said in epuck but just make sure you put a wet towel between your skates on the plate and keep it in the middle of the oven. so not to high up or to low down