Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gman

companies that put the most into inline

I guess I am just not very "brand loyal" unless that company does something exceptionally special for me (or my teams). If for example, Mission FULLY sponsored by team, then yes, I would probably use a Mission stick even if it wasn't my first pick. But when a company pays a tournament enough money to simply put their logo on their website (which in many cases isn't even for money but just a link exchange), I don't feel very obligated to support them.

I support the companies that provide a quality product, good customer service and reasonable price. Sometimes that will be the “big dog†and sometimes that will be the “little guyâ€. When I play roller hockey I skate with a Bauer helmet, Easton gloves, RBK skates and a Louisville stick. Why? Because I liked the fit/function of those particular items of equipment when I tried them on. When I replace one of those items, I will be open minded for the replacement and consider all brands once again. I am not thinking, “well that company sponsored my last tournament, so even though the skates don’t fit my feet and that model is over priced, I will buy itâ€.

Also, by only supporting the CURRENT companies that support the sport, you are discouraging new companies from entering our sport. Look at all the companies over the past few years that have tried to enter the sport of RH, only to later return to 100% concentration on ice, or leave the sport of hockey all together. If people had not been to loyal to the “name brand bandwagonâ€, perhaps these smaller companies could have thrived and become legitimate competitors to the larger companies…thus having the financial resources to sponsor big events.

Expected blind brand loyalty is an obsolete concept in today’s free economy. If you do not believe me, ask an exec at Ford or GM. They sponsor and/or donate more to American sports and activities than any other automotive manufacture…yet they are losing market share. Why? Because customers want a quality product and an affordable price with features that they like…if the GM or Ford offering does not make them happy, they will go elsewhere. The days of being a loyal “Ford Man†regardless of the competition are long gone. (FYI…I drive a Ford product because I liked the price/features/ride)

Bottom line…I am bored at work and like to stir the pot…

Bottom line…I am bored at work and like to stir the pot…

Figured as much.

As to what you are saying about supporting the best products, I couldn't agree more with you. I think utterly blind support is a bad thing, I might be one of the lucky few that Mission's equipment fits me and performs fine head to toe so I can boast brand loyalty because it works for me personally.

On the customer service note, I can't speak highly enough of a recent issue I had and Mission's customer service department being very easy to work with and making the process so much smoother. Because of a bad customer service experience I may never buy anything from RBK/CCM again it left such a bad taste in my mouth.

My point is to not only stick with the established companies who have the money to sponser everything under the sun, but supporting the ones who have the affordability/performance/quality and will actually put the products in the LHS and do things to advance the equipment to perform better. If we all followed the biggest budgets NBH and CCM/RBK would have no competition.

I found this thread and wondered what was your perspective on the same issue, a bit less than 6 years later... How does Alkali stand in all that... It's a very intriguing subject.

Well, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, Bauer now owns mission, so they are probably the top company in roller. RBK has made a comeback, and Tour is still a top contender. Alkali is coming up fast but I haven't seen too many guys rocking those kicks.

It's hard to say right now. The traditional major inline specific brands aren't following up on their past successes.

Bauer's handling of Mission's new line is kind of funny to watch; they are trying so hard to be "out there" but it's a pretty transparent effort. Tour's new line isn't very attractive in any regard, but there is possibly decent (though hideously ugly) skate hidden in there somewhere as a sleeper hit. Reebok might be in a better position than either of the two, but I really know nothing about their attitude toward their efforts in the inline game.

This might say more about the inline game in general, though. I feel that despite the ever-increasing quality of play at the top levels of the game, it's being treated as a low-rent alternative to expensive ice time even more so than before. Keep in mind this is only my perspective as someone outside of southern California or other inline-heavy regions of the States.

Maybe slightly off topic but is there any chance that Bauer will develop a second line (Supreme or Nexus for example) of equipment for roller hockey? I was thinking mainly of a new line of skates.

I'm sure someone with more insider information may chime in here... but basically the Mission Inhaler line is the Supreme line with Roller specific tune-ups, vents on front, sides and in the lace-bite protection.

Bauer/Mission, Tour, Alkali, Labeda, Rink Rat, and Revision all are doing a good job with support of inline hockey. They all put decent amount of money into teams, events, and growth. This is just my personal opinion.

I'm sure someone with more insider information may chime in here... but basically the Mission Inhaler line is the Supreme line with Roller specific tune-ups, vents on front, sides and in the lace-bite protection.

It's the same fit, but lacks the alive composite construction compared to the higher end Supremes.

It's pretty much the Axiom with a few tweaks, an exact supreme fit, and vents everywhere.

It's the same fit, but lacks the alive composite construction compared to the higher end Supremes.

It's pretty much the Axiom with a few tweaks, an exact supreme fit, and vents everywhere.

not an exact supreme fit though but a lil bit similar. supreme is much better at heel lock, while on mission i had terrible heel slippage.

Mission is definitly numero uno. However seems Bauer to be in a wierd spot. They own Mission but is seems other then their line of skates which seem to get mixed reviews thats really all they have. I think they just rely on roller guys buying their regular stuff. Tour doesnt really seem to put as much into their stuff as they use to. Reebok is definitly come a long way in the last few years. They're only of the only 'ice' companies that are making roller specfic girdles and pants. I have one of their girdles and I love it.

When it comes to anything roller specfic I usually try to stick to Mission. Not trying to be a fanboy but they've been at for quite a few years and seem to have it down.