Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoffer

Becoming a faster skater

I need some tips I want to start working on becoming a faster skater. (I play Roller.) What kind of off the rink drills, workout programs, etc. would you guys suggest I do to help my speed on the rink improve?

Well this is coming from a real drill geek. I spend as much time drilling as playing. It drives my sons nuts! Just skate!!! Get a toe flick at the end and push hard. Work on getting as many hard turnovers as you can per length of floor. If you increase your stride turnover and keep your stride force, your speed will increase. As Nike used to say, "just do it"....

yup if you want to go fast in a straight line, do sprints. If you want to turn faster, do circles. Your speed on the rink depends much more on your form then it dose on your strength. Make sure you are bending your knees (90', most likely its farther then what you think is ok) and make sure you get a full extension and bring your skate all the way back under neath you

edit: also whenever you can, skate with one hand on your stick and swing your arms forward and back, not side to side. It WILL make you faster.

I found this site to be pretty helpful: http://www.hockeyshot.com/skating.htm

I'm just an adult leaguer though...but using lotta those tips and keeping them in mind during my less than frequent ice, it helped a lot.

thanks for the link, as someone who has yet to score a goal, I am going to go over those shooting drills and see if I can't change a year of suckery in front of the net

I've been told about a thousand times to "get low" when skating hard, and I'm finally starting to do it - and seeing results. All of a sudden, when backchecking guys, I'm actually catching them and stripping them of the puck. No drills, no working out- I'm just paying more attention to my stride and making sure my form is right.

Basically try to get a lower center of gravity, and as was suggested before, when skating without the puck, go to one hand on the stick.

this might help- its for the muscles that are the base of your skating...

http://www.hockeyplayer.com/artman/publish/article_525.shtml

Core muscles are very important, but I think it is quite pointless for athletes to do many sets of ab-specific work, such as crunches...if you really want to get a strong core, you need to do heavy, complex lifts, which require your core to stabilize as a whole, supporting heavy weights.

Exercises such as squats, deadlifts, or olympic lifts are great for this. These will develop powerful legs and core, as well as just overall power and strength. Great for hockey. But theres no need to do more than 2-3 sets of crunches or similar ab work per time in the gym...you will also be straining the core enough as it is just playing hockey.