Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jbyun04

RBK 6K Shinpads

Just wondering if anyone knows how the protection on these are compared to the 7K? I don't feel like dishing out $100+ for shinpads right now, but I can get 6K's for decent.

I love my 6k's. Theyre not bulky at all, offer great protection, and are very light. They also are super comfy and form to your knee almost. Go with them, you wont be sorry.

are the 5k shin pads bulky at all? i'm looking at probably either those or nikes. i just don't want huge shin pads like the 8ks seem to be.

I've also got the 6k's. They fit close to your leg (i wear them under baggy pants for no-check), good protection, and I like the extra calf protection (which are removable). These are a really good pad for the price.

I love my 6k's. Theyre not bulky at all, offer great protection, and are very light. They also are super comfy and form to your knee almost. Go with them, you wont be sorry.

I've also got the 6k's. They fit close to your leg (i wear them under baggy pants for no-check), good protection, and I like the extra calf protection (which are removable). These are a really good pad for the price.

how are they near the top of the knee? That's where I'm having the biggest problem with my V-10s

I looked at the RBK 3D Views of the 6k and 7k and noticed the 7k is a little longer at the top and covers the area that I need a lot better than the 6k.

I was used to 7k (Jofa 8040 i think). I tried 6k and in the end went back to 7k's. I wear mine long (17 or 16) over the tongue. The buttom pad interfered with the skate tongue a bit. The fit a little 'shallow'. They are VERY well ventilated, would be great for roller. But I found ventilation distracting on the ice. Also, because your shin is in contact with straps only, they feel like they are not as glued to you and the full length lined pads. Anyhow, i think they are not bad, but I went back to 7k's.

I was used to 7k (Jofa 8040 i think). I tried 6k and in the end went back to 7k's. I wear mine long (17 or 16) over the tongue. The buttom pad interfered with the skate tongue a bit. The fit a little 'shallow'. They are VERY well ventilated, would be great for roller. But I found ventilation distracting on the ice. Also, because your shin is in contact with straps only, they feel like they are not as glued to you and the full length lined pads. Anyhow, i think they are not bad, but I went back to 7k's.

Do your shins get cold from the vents or what? and what do you mean by shin coming in contact with the straps only?

how are they near the top of the knee? That's where I'm having the biggest problem with my V-10s

I looked at the RBK 3D Views of the 6k and 7k and noticed the 7k is a little longer at the top and covers the area that I need a lot better than the 6k.

Well, I only play no-check as of now, so I'm not sure how it would go with full gear. I took a flip pass to the side of the knee, above the kneecap, and the pad blocked it pretty well. I get pretty warm when I play, so I really like the ventilation. The extra ligament protection on the outside of the knee is nice for slashes, too...

jbyun, as for the shins only coming in contact with the straps only... Rbk's FitLite system has two neoprene straps that go across the shin, one low and one an inch or two below the knee, rather than a full length pad. So your shin doesn't have contact with a foam pad all the way down the shin. I like it, because it makes them feel really light, and not bulky, but I guess that's preference. I wear a thin knee-length sock under my shin guards to stop the itch (they're pretty new), keep them from smelling, sometimes warmth (I'm in Finland now, and sometimes play outdoors). I don't have a problem with my legs getting cold, I think they do a great job of cooling off your lower legs though.

Do your shins get cold from the vents or what? and what do you mean by shin coming in contact with the straps only?

Instead of a usual full length pad, the 6k has a knee pad and 2 neoprine straps across your shin that keep it away from the hard plastic shell. That create an open space where cold air circulates. It is kind of a 'strange' feeling. I just felt more comfy with the regular pad.

i have the 6ks and i found them a little bulky at first, but once they get broken in they sort of move with you, i cut the top protection off as well because it kept getting caught under my pants.

So, I just received mine today and will be returning them.

They're a little bulkier than I'm used to and the pad just above the knee is too short and gets caught on the ends of my pants when I bend my knee. I could get used to the size difference (which isn't huge) but that pad getting caught on my pants would drive me bonkers everytime I took a stride.

Does anyone have the 5k? Are they much different aside from the pad above the knee being longer and the lack of the fit-lite system (which I don't think I would like anyway considering I'm usually cold)?