Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chris68

Tryout help

i just turned 15 this past september, and i've played roller hockey for about a year at this point, and about half a year ago i got into ice hockey, when i first started out playing we played alot, since it was over the summer, and we always got rides to the rink, which is 40 minutes away, over the last 2 monthes i only get to play once a week, and thats if i get lucky, i got pretty decent and im wondering if i would be good enough to make my local team, tryouts are in april so i would still have some time to get better and practice more, wondering what your guys thuoghts were...

i say go for it. what do you lose if you don't make it? i didnt start playing til i was 14. i just went to a few stick times for a few months and come fall i was playing for my high school. we didn't have try outs though but i still say its definitely worth a shot. i basically just practiced with the team my freshman year but my sophomore year i got ice time pretty much every game and even scored a goal. i didnt play my junior year due to medical reasons and came back this year playing back up goal for ice and starting for our roller team. never say too late if you love the game and will dedicate yourself to improving. good luck.

Where do you live and how many different levels of teams does your local team offer? (A, AA, B ) If you decided to try out, I would see if you can find a skating coach to work with a little as you can always improve your skating. I would also suggest trying to find some sort of checking clinic or someone to help you out a little. You dont' want your first true hit to be in try-outs and you can't play being afraid of being hit.

well i played roller when i was little (6-7 years old) but i was a goalie, after that i rollerbladed alot, then i got into roller, so my skating skill has transitioned into ice skating pretty well, i just need to work on stopping more, and im a big kid for my age, big frame, and i've played full ice games at sticktimes so i've taken and thrown a few hits myself, i know what thats all about, when i just got my ice hockey stuff last year, and went to tryouts for a good team, because i didnt know about all the levels at that point, i got layed out 3 times. but the team im going to try out for has a and b teams

then go for it..... I would suggest the skating help though if you are still having some trouble stopping. Private skating lessons from a good instructor may be the best investment a hockey player can make