Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

greech

Not Playing

Allright guys and gals, looking for a little advice. I'm a sophomore playing on our school's varsity. I lettered as a freshman, but I didn't get a lot of playing time (I knew coming in that I wouldn't). After last year, we lost 10 seniors and I'd figured that would mean more ice time. Well, it has not. When I do get time my coach is heavy on the compliments and tells us how well our line is doing. But when other lines are underachieving, he always tells us that we'll play but we never do. What should I do? Our school is one of the top publics in the state, and from what others say, I could go to pretty much any school around and log a ton of minutes. Should I keep with it or explore other options? I guess I just had to get it out and I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

edited title

talk to your coach about it first. Ask him why you're not playing. Don't be afraid to transfer somewhere else though if you want to play. You'll probably regret not doing it if you don't!

Would it be bad for to just ask him...Go into him after a game or practice...

"Coach...what do you need from us to get more ice?"

Would it be bad for to just ask him...Go into him after a game or practice...

"Coach...what do you need from us to get more ice?"

Yeah, we had an open meeting after a game earlier in the season where the coach told us to speak our minds. One of our linemates brought it off and he kind of brushed it off. It's getting pretty frustrating. My right winger quit because of it. He was a senior, we're up 6-2 against our biggest rivals, packed house, ten minutes left. And the coach is running likes 1-3. It's bad when the TV guys are saying stuff about it...

Are the guys ahead of you Jr's and Sr's....? maybe the coach just believes that you put in your dues in Year 1&2 and play heavy minutes in Year 3&4.

Maybe that is too simplified, but it's a thought.

If your last talk was erly in the season, I would talk to him again. There is nothing to lose. As others have said, ask what you need to do to get more ice time. See if you can understand his thinking/strategy.

If you do decide to transfer... make sure you investigate the policies on transfers first. Here in Ontario if you transfer-in, you can't play for a year.