Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

New Rink Rat Wheel?

My wheels like Saba broke on their first skate. I am not looking for a free handout but I have been using RR's for many years. Spending an extra $70+ on wheels because of a manufacturing defect I believe should be covered by the company that made the wheels.

$70? Where are you getting your wheels? A full set of Hot Shots can be had for $45-$50 in most places. Unless that price is canadian.

A new set of the MB816's which is what I had that broke on the first run are 8.99 per wheel according to epuck x8 is 71 dollar not including shipping. The main problem I have is we were told we would be taken care of and too email him. I did those things but with no response. I understand that wheels break but paying for all my own gear and bills $70 is a lot.

Scott

Yes my mb816 hub cracked after the first skaet as well I emailed back in beginning Dec and emails were responded quickly too and like saba was adviced to contact anther person this was about 3 weeks ago now...I have not received anything yet, but will keep waiting.

Don't use micro.. they're less durable, cost more and the bearings are no faster then Swiss 608. 608 > All

Maybe so but that is what came with my skates when I purchased them. I am not the only person that was promised things. Case in point when I do get enough money I am switching to bones regular bearings.

Don't use micro.. they're less durable, cost more and the bearings are no faster then Swiss 608. 608 > All

Maybe so but that is what came with my skates when I purchased them. I am not the only person that was promised things. Case in point when I do get enough money I am switching to bones regular bearings.

I agree with most of you man. Its just everytime theres a thread about broken wheels it seems like every post is asking for a replacement. I personally go through wheels faster then most, I refuse to rotate my wheels, I don't like the feel of it. So I get about 3-4 weeks out of a set and then I get new ones. Ive only had one bad experience, I bought a set of Rink Rat Hornets and 5 of the blew out, seperated from hub, during my first shift. That was before I new about this site but I never thought about getting them replaced.

Its not just Rink Rat wheels specifically the MB816 where I feel durability and end user satisfaction are a concern. The average consumer when confronted with a choice: to complain or just turn a blind cheek, will choose more often than not choose the path of non-conflict. This acquiesence does two things, first it gives the manafacturer/creator a false sense of belief that what he/she puts out is working as designed. Second that if there would to be feedback it would be positive. IMHO this does RR no good, they don't get an accurate assesment of their product and second offers no feedback from end users both good and bad

In this discussion, I, and some others feel that the MB816 wheels did not work up to specs, i.e. last more than 1 shift. At this price point per wheel some durability should be expected, not caveat emptor if RR expects loyal buyers and repeat sales. Second we have been promised satisfaction for our greviance and despite promises have yet to see the results from this dialogue with RR.

Let me repeat: I fully expect RR to fulfill these promises, cause nothing I have seen from this company has led me to believe otherwise and second that RR will continue to put out the best, most durable wheels on the market. As I said earlier I will not switch bearings nor wheels, I intend to see this through and am confident the solution will be positive

PS

Not checked for speling sorry:)

Ive always assumed that most buyers knew they were sacraficing durabilitiy for the reduction in weight, since loosing a couple grams will give you instant jets.

Just look at the inner hub of a standard 608 and micro..

Micro:

MB816-RW-big.jpg

608:

RRHSW-RD-big.jpg

You loose alot more support in the wheel by cutting down on the urethane. Micros are just a useless selling point geared at make more money. Why are they $2 more? You're acutally getting a less stable wheel with less material then the standard 608.

Rink Rat is the best company on the market, no doubt about it. If you'll notice, almost every skate companies top of the line models use RR. Im sure RR "suggests" to these skate manufactures to use Micro when an all 608 skate with the same materials is almost identical. It handcuffs consumers into buying one wheel type at a higher price as oppossed to 608 wheres theres alot of compeition.

The only real way they can justify the high price tag of new skates is "micro this, micro that". I would spend $500 on a pair of skates that had Bones Swiss bearings in a 608 setup, micro... not so much.

the micros are there simply for the weight savings. Same reason missions's using a Mg chassis. Everyone knows that all the companies seem to boast nowadays are lighter, faster, blah blah blah. Micros were popular in the late 90s-early 2000s and went by the wayside for a few years until weight became an issue again.

Same goes for sticks. Lighter sticks have less material reinforcement and will break easier.

In this discussion, I, and some others feel that the MB816 wheels did not work up to specs, i.e. last more than 1 shift. At this price point per wheel some durability should be expected, not caveat emptor if RR expects loyal buyers and repeat sales. Second we have been promised satisfaction for our greviance and despite promises have yet to see the results from this dialogue with RR.

Let me repeat: I fully expect RR to fulfill these promises, cause nothing I have seen from this company has led me to believe otherwise and second that RR will continue to put out the best, most durable wheels on the market. As I said earlier I will not switch bearings nor wheels, I intend to see this through and am confident the solution will be positive

Exactly. It seems like these wheels had a specific problem. Either they didn't test them properly or something else has happened to have hubs cracking on a majority of the people that use them.

Also we were promised to have our concerns met, and while RR is very busy hopefully they would find time to meet these concerns.

Hey guys,

Just for the record I would like the guys in this paticular post to resend your address and wheel sizes so I can take care of you! Saba, get me your info and I will make sure to get you a tracking number to ease your mind! Also, I appreciate the debate going on here and I would just like you guys to know that Rink Rat stands behind our product 100% and will absolutly make sure our loyal customers are taken care of. I would fully expect to have my wheels replaced if they broke after a few skates. So I would expect our customers to let us know if our product fails in the field. We fully understand the problems we have had with our MB816 micro bearings, but like any good company we recognized the issues, corrected the problem so it doesn't happen again and lastly but most importantly we have tried our best to make sure the customers that have had an issue are taken care of. I would personally like to apolagize to anyone that has been waiting for an extended period of time for their replacement wheels. I have been on the road for an extended period of time here and its not going to let up (no excuse). So here's what I'm going to do, moving forward I would like you to contact the following customer service people at Rink Rat if you cannot get ahold of me personally.

(Dan Reilly) dreilly@mearthane.com or (Kim Sturgis) ksturgis@mearthane.com

Dan or Kim will take care of all your needs if I am out of the office, if you write and email to either of the above parties make sure you copy me on the email mhunt@mearthane

So with that I would like to apolagize for any delays boys and thankyou for being apart of the Rink Rat family!

Michael Hunt

Rink Rat

First off thank Michael for coming on these boards and trying to help us out, it is greatly appreciated. I sent an email out about 10 mins ago but your email address (mhunt@mearthane) unless I copied and pasted it wrong was sent back to me. I did sent it to Dan and Kim too.

Thanks once again.

Mike, I really appreciate your work on these boards, and it shows that you care about us, and that we care about Rink Rat. I love my Hot Shots, and will most likely never switch wheels until the day I stop playing hockey. I have popped a few here and there, but even still, Rink Rat blows Labeda and Hyper out of the water in terms of value and performance.

Keep up the good work.

Props to Mike and Kim at Rink Rat for promptly responding in this thread, then following through with their promise of wheel replacement. Is this continued commitment to providing great thorough customer service that has made Rink Rat my #1 choice for wheels

Maybe I am just lucky, but I have had the rink rat mb816's for the entire season with no problems at all. I play in the NCRHA, PIHA, and two mens leagues which means I play minimally six hours a week. Best wheels Ive ever skated on!!

Just got my replacement RR's. I am very impressed with Michael and RR for their speedy delivery and making sure the customer is happy even after coming off sorta rude in this thread.

Thanks so much RR and I will continue to only use RR wheels.

Just got my replacement RR's. I am very impressed with Michael and RR for their speedy delivery and making sure the customer is happy even after coming off sorta rude in this thread.

Thanks so much RR and I will continue to only use RR wheels.

i work in retail, i manage a sporting good store.

and at the end of the day, even if a customer is a complete jerk, rude as hell, its our job to turn their negative experience into a good one.

i was pretty impressed just following this thread.

BUT, ive had no problems with my micros, just the bearings.. the wheels have been pretty fantastic.

Sort of off topic but going from a Revision Variant Platinum wheel what Rink Rat hardness wheel would you go for in the Hornet and MB 816?

76A is good if your under 200lbs over 200 78A, but its all personal preference. You could try the different combos of hardness suggested on the Rink Rat products page

saba, I'm not too sure about your weights. I think under 160 should use 76A, 160-190 should use 78A, and 190 + should use 80A. I'm 190ish, and I'm on 80As. I've destroyed all of the 76As and 78As that I've tried, but not instantaneously like you. :P

It takes me about a month to tear and chunk apart the 78A Hot Shots, and you can tell that the inner and outer pours are separating, kind of changing color.

I'm doing this now 76A front wheel 78A middle 2 wheels 80A rear wheel and I'm loving this setup. So far so good. My weight well that is between me and the scale but lets say 214 all muscle