Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wk_style

Cold weather and pucks

So I was playing outdoors a few nights ago, and it was quite cold about 20 degrees. Now I know IDS pucks are prone to shattering but we broke like 5 in 15-30 min. Anyone know of a puck that is better suited for outdoor play when it is cold?

I have used the pro puck and I guess it would be better but I like the feel of the IDS... any suggestions?

pro puck is about as good as it gets for colder weather. IDS, Rocket Puck, etc will all have shattering issues in sub-freezing temps. Rockets will hold up longer than IDS though, but still shatter. Possibly the old Jofa style ISD pucks, but I haven't seen those around too much.

my local Play it Again for 8 bucks on the Pro Pucks. 6-8 is normal for any of the better pucks, and most sites have something. Try googling by puck name to see which places carry them, as I know most carry IDS, but not a huge line up of other pucks.

propucks are $6 on average. & really the best thing to use outdoors in the cold anyway. unless its a really smooth surface & isn't too far below freezing.

IDS moves real well on the rink we play on... but its just too cold right now to use them. Any hard shot off a post or the boards and they are in 2+ pieces. Ive never been a fan of propuck, which is why I was asking for alternatives.

yeah i had to start bringing the pucks inside,i used to keep them in my truck but they just get to cold and brake.if you play outside you might want to keep those pucks warm some how and keep switching them as you play.

When I first started playing inline hockey several years ago we tried just about every puck we could find and the Jofa puck like RHI used at the time was the best. Now I believe the Jofa puck is made by CCM and Reebok has one that looks the same but has no holes. When I started playing again this winter the group I played with used the ProPuck. I had never seen one before but it worked great. I am sold on the ProPuck. It just has a better feel to me.

Rick Henry

Has anyone found a puck that will consistantly stay flat? Primarily on a smooth concrete surface. Ive tried Propuck, Mission pucks, CCM. Everything always rolls on edge, I have no complaints but other players hate playing with the puck..

Any suggestions?

There was one puck that these guys brought out one game, it was slimmer then most pucks, wider too. It had large white pads on it and it slide really really smoothly, almost had the weight of a ice puck.

Anyone know what im talking about?

There was one puck that these guys brought out one game, it was slimmer then most pucks, wider too. It had large white pads on it and it slide really really smoothly, almost had the weight of a ice puck.

Was it this?

(thread here)

The propuck is about as good as I've seen for the puck not jumping around and bouncing on end. It also seems to be the easiest to settle down once it gets on edge. I've never used the turbo puck though.

Was it this?

(thread here)

The propuck is about as good as I've seen for the puck not jumping around and bouncing on end. It also seems to be the easiest to settle down once it gets on edge. I've never used the turbo puck though.

Actually no, im a failure at life.. the Pro puck is exactly what im thinking of. The IDS puck was the one that wouldn't stay down. I'll have to pick up a few for this season. Thanks alot.

yeah i had to start bringing the pucks inside,i used to keep them in my truck but they just get to cold and brake.if you play outside you might want to keep those pucks warm some how and keep switching them as you play.

I used to have this same issue. We played inside (Michigan) so I never even thought about the cold weather. Then one day in warm ups my team shattered 2 pucks. I had never seen that before. Then I remembered that the pucks had been in my car for the past few days. Cold Michigan winter + Couple hard slap shots + hard steel post + broken pucks = All starting to make sense now. :wacko: