Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick

Why didn't Mission just copy the original Wicked Light skate?

I have heard a bunch of guys say that the original Mission Wicked Light skate was the best roller hockey skate boot ever. I'm not trying to be smart but why didn't Mission just copy the original Wicked Light skate boot for re-release but use the new Vanguard chassis? I think the original is a cooler looking boot anyway.

Just wondering

Rick Henry

Well the truth is I have no earthly idea. But I can hazzard a guess. Mission, in it's endeavor to remain one stride ahead of the competition, would rather improve than sit on its laurells. Why didn't Ford just keep making the Model-T? Because they wanted to give a better product to the public. My hunch is that Mission had the same idea. The original Wicked's were awesome. Mission listened to the public (I bet MSH played some part in that communication) and gave them what they said they wanted. If the 2007 Wicked series is not perfect, Mission will probably make changes to make it as close as possible. Then even if the new line is perfect, they will probably look at tweaking something to make it even better.

I also think the old Wicked model has become kind of legendary by the stories, not actual experiences. The limited availability nowadays have made them even 'greater'. Technology-wise (materials, durability, etc.) the old model can't be compared to the new Wicked model (I think).

In most cases you'll find that older products are not as good as the newer models. You may recall the product fondly but, in most cases, it doesn't stand up in a direct comparison.

Exactly what Chad said...I have 4 or 5 pairs of Wicked Lights in my office, and they are not as great as everyone remembers. They are good skates, but not as great as one thinks. They are heavier than most high end skates out, narrower than our current line, and not as supportive....

In my opinion, a true classic skate was the VSI from the same year.

it would have been great if mission re-released the original wicked lights, but they wouldnt be the top skates out there.

and plus, it would take away the coolness of owning a pair of the originals!

Agreed with Chadd. Many of us have no even used the old Wicked Light, and from stories and posts online or from friends, they seem almost to be a sort of rare, omnipotent skate. With the development of new materials over the years since the first release, a direct comparison would show a dramatic increase in performance in the new product, as compared to the older one.

My friend has a pair of old Wicked's that he remounted with green E-Frames, and I can't say that I'm impressed. The E-Frames are lighter than the original Vibes, but the skates are still noticeably heavier than most skates around right now.

The old Wicked is a step into the past, and for some people, it is great, but if you're thinking like I'm thinking, I'd rather take a step forward than a step back in development.

The Vanguard is a nice balance between the old Hi-Lo and Tour's big power Hum'er design. I think it might be the future, but I'm still loving my Hum'ers. I did just get a new pair of 10000's but that's a different story. :P

Exactly what Chad said...I have 4 or 5 pairs of Wicked Lights in my office, and they are not as great as everyone remembers. They are good skates, but not as great as one thinks. They are heavier than most high end skates out, narrower than our current line, and not as supportive....

In my opinion, a true classic skate was the VSI from the same year.

I have 2 of those VSI's and they out lasted my D-Limited's and are still great skates. My favorite boot so far, though is the type "M" boot, but with a generator chasis.

Same here, to me the VSI were better skates than the original WL. And now that I have played a lot with the W1, I can tell that I do prefer the W1 over the VSI. So I doubly do prefer the W1 over the WL. Add a bit more padding on the ankle area, and I will triply prefer them over anything else.

About the Vanguard, did anyone already break a W1 chassis in normal use ? I had doubts at first seeing that the design was thinner than last year's, but it actually feels really tough when used.

They are certainly the best looking RH skates made. When all the trade offs in design add up (weight, comfort, durability, support, etc), I still see them as better than contemporary skates.

The Proto VSI Team Carbon skates are #2 for me.

A renovation of the original Wicked Lights would be cool. Rather than change the graphics and look, a tricked out inside would sell better, that is if it can be done without sacrificing the great qualities of the first skate. An updated carbon frame would be great, but save the graphics.

Nike did something similar with a Limited Edition line of Air Max 360 shoes - basically put the new air cushion tech on their old designs while still staying faithful to what they did right back then.

Limited edition Wicked Light Re-Issue!! Too bad there isn't a Digg button on here...

Nike did something similar with a Limited Edition line of Air Max 360 shoes - basically put the new air cushion tech on their old designs while still staying faithful to what they did right back then.

Shoes are way different than a hockey skate. Also they didnt just slap old shoes on new soles. Nike has been and will continue to retro shoes every 2-3years. The shoe keeps changing every time.

Shoes are way different than a hockey skate.

Right, the analogy is referring to a designer taking a model that sold well and looked good and simply adding a new piece of tech (while still keeping the same look).

Also they didnt just slap old shoes on new soles

I can't find anything other than the soles that changed according to the site for the LE's I was talking about...

http://nike.com/nikelab/

But like I said before, if a new inner boot can be made that improves upon the old design without sacrificing the qualities of the original, then that would be awesome.

I can't find anything other than the soles that changed according to the site for the LE's I was talking about...

I know exactly what shoes you're talking about, I actually own a few out of that release pack. The AM95 used for the 95x360 hybrid is not the same shoe that Nike released in '95 just slapped onto a 360 airbag. Nike has retro'd the 95's many times, almost yearly. It may look the same, but thats about it. Shapes, materials, fits are all different on retro'd shoes...and they are always worse quality than the OGs.

and they are always worse quality than the OGs.

That's too bad. I know Mission would be able to apply some lessons over the year to the skate yet still keep the same look and quality. Even if its not EXACTLY the same, it would still be cool to have a couple pairs of these Retro Wicked Lights.

I know exactly what shoes you're talking about, I actually own a few out of that release pack. The AM95 used for the 95x360 hybrid is not the same shoe that Nike released in '95 just slapped onto a 360 airbag. Nike has retro'd the 95's many times, almost yearly. It may look the same, but thats about it. Shapes, materials, fits are all different on retro'd shoes...and they are always worse quality than the OGs.

This is so true...I love the older version of Nike's especially the 95's and though the retro versions you can get today are pleasing to the eye they by no means stand up to the quality of the original ones..This is also true with the retro Jordans that have been put out a number of times...You will find this with most retro versions from shoes to shirts the newer retro versions are made with cheaper materials and are only really good for looking at not wearing...It would be a dream if Mission could pull together the newer technology and materials they use today and come up with a retro version in limited qualities of the original design of the WL, that would be one hot seller...And Justin if I ever see that come to life and find a pair of those on the shelf I want my 1 cent on the doller for the idea LOL, cause I have to be the first one to come up with that idea..LOL YEA RIGHT...