Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

Nike/Bauer Supreme 30

NikeBauer Supreme 30

10 D

Reviewer's Stats

6’3’’ 240 lbs

Normal footshape, I think.

Beginner Adult level player

Introduction – When I decided I would try to learn hockey, I signed up for lessons, and used rental skates for my first lesson. After that, I went straight to the pro-shop, asked for a pair of skates suitable for a beginner. I was put in CCM Tacks, 252, because I told the guy I had a wide foot. I then upgraded to 852’s, thinking the pain was just skate pain. After constant pain, I went to another shop near me in Laurel, and was fitted in a pair of Bauer Supreme 30’s, regular width.

Fit - As I mentioned, I had thought I had wide feet, but the regular width fitted me fine. I have been skating on them now for a few months. One thing I noticed was my left foot which was initially fine, began hurting as the skate broke in for me. As I couldn’t get gray superfeet locally, I put in a pair of Shock Doctor hockey insoles to replace the flimsy standard NBH ones. Immediate difference, and while I have ordered some superfeet online, I am not going to change the shock doctor footbed as the skate now fits me perfectly.

9/10 fit

Blade/Holder – Tuuk custom +.

I don’t know how to evaluate this part of the skate properly, so here is my general feelings on it.

I feel like I am a little further back in my stance on the skates, and for me, that’s great, I find it helps my stability on the ice. This may be a product of my own improvement as a skater, but I felt like I was a little more forward on the balls of my feet in Tacks.

I usually go about 10-12 ice hours between sharpenings, and that works out well for me. In my opinion for the edge to hold up for that long, with my weight, it can only be a good thing for the blade.

10/10 (gets a 10 because I have no problems, but also don’t have knowledge/experience to know different)

Weight - Weight is not a huge factor for me at the moment. I am about 240 lbs, I don’t think an extra couple of pounds will make a huge difference for my level. That being said, I do not feel like I am wearing bricks on my feet. They certainly feel lighter than the Tacks I was wearing,.

8/10

Protection - I have only had one instance where I took a puck off my skate so far, and it didn’t even register on my pain scale. I don’t play a high level, so big slappers are not going to be an issue. The skate padding feels solid, from the toe right up to the tendon guard. For the price of the skate, I think they offer excellent protection

10/10

Durability -. I have been skating on these for a few months now, and they still feel good as new. The one thing I really like, compared to the tacks, is the toe. The tacks had a cloth material on the toe, the NBH are a plastic toe. While this may not seem like a big deal, it means to me that other skate marks just create scratches, rather than tears on the toe. I like this. The skates still feel very stiff, and have had no breakdowns in any area that I can feel.

10/10

Conclusion - I paid about $150ish after tax for these, which included baking and first sharpening, so it was cheaper to by at a store than online after you factor in shipping costs, then having to have them sharpened.

For that price I really couldn’t ask for anything more in a skate. They are comfortable (with SD footbeds), the edges hold up great for a big guy on the ice, the protection has been first rate when tested. Very satisfied overall.

9/10 (this rating based on entry level skate, for a beginner adult, take that into consideration when using this review)

A little side note. I hope this helps players who can't afford high end gear, or can't justify high end gear costs yet. I would love to see some more mid level/affordable reviews here.

Cheers