Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

big ben

? about stopping

Whenever I stop, its more like a glide, and even if I lean back more, I still cannot stop on a dime. Ice sprays maybe 1.5ft in the air max. And I'll look at my "tracks" and I see I was gliding for like 6-7ft. to stop no matter how much weight I put on my skate. Almost as if the skates do not want to dig, I'm 6ft 210 lbs. to give you perspective. Any ideas?

Oh and I tried the search but it was mainly topics concerning stopping on your outside edge.

Put your pads on, go to a REALLY early morning open skate with no one there and practice. No substitute. Just start out slow, stop as fast as you can, and increase the speed over time. You should get it in a couple skates.

When stopping, you want to apply pressure at the balls of your feet, almost on your toes. You want to use the inside edge of your lead foot, and the outside edge of the following foot, and you need to get a good deal of lean into it.

Do you know what hollow your skates are sharpened to? Not to be too simplistic, but when was the last time you had your skates sharpened?

I'm not sure of the hollow, normally when they sharpen them I get whichever the generic hollow is. They have about 10 hours on them since the last sharpening and they do need to be sharpened. Normally I like to stop on only one foot, normally left foot forward if I'm just public skating. Not a T-stop though because I lift my right foot off the ice. I'll ask when I go have them sharpened again what they normally use.

For someone my size what hollow should I be using, normally if I play drop-in, I'm a forward.

I'm not sure of the hollow, normally when they sharpen them I get whichever the generic hollow is. They have about 10 hours on them since the last sharpening and they do need to be sharpened. Normally I like to stop on only one foot, normally left foot forward if I'm just public skating. Not a T-stop though because I lift my right foot off the ice. I'll ask when I go have them sharpened again what they normally use.

For someone my size what hollow should I be using, normally if I play drop-in, I'm a forward.

do you get any sort of "chatter" when you try to stop? I noticed when I was using a deeper hollow, it would chatter all the time, and hinder my stopping and pivoting (well, the ability to learn so).

i used to have the same problem as you as far as stopping goes. for me, i just tried to push harder with my legs in my stop; more downward pressure into the ice. im still not where i want to be, but i do recognize some improvements. and as people have already said, practice is the best. good luck.

Ben, at your size, 1/2" should give more than enough bite, and is the standard at many shops. Other shops will run 3/8" hollows. You should easily be able to go with shallower than 1/2" (higher numerically), unless you're skating on very hard ice.

Since you like to stop on one foot, I suspect that there *may* be an issue with your form that is hindering your ability to stop quickly. Stopping using both feet means that you will (potentially) have twice the stopping power. when at open skate, try working on stopping with both of your feet planted on the ice, and using your edges on both skates as I described in my previous post.

i read that you need to drop your ankles so your skates are closer to the ice ie your skates are leaning over more from vertical. ive been trying to work on stops as well.