Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fire0nIce228

Wrist pain when shooting

Hey guys, as some of ya might have saw before the board went down, I broke my pinky finger in March. I got my cast and pins off last week and have been stickhandling and passing a ball outside, and I finally was on the ice last night. Bad news is, I have a ton of pain in my wrist area when I try and take hard wrist or slap shots. Especially when tryin to snap my hands over for a wrist shot.. Whenever I try and move my hand/wrist so that the fingers are pointing down towards my elbow I have serious pain.

The whole point of me getting the surgury and the pins put in my hand was so that my finger doesnt curl akwardly in towards my ring finger, but when I make a fist, or in the same way you hold a hockey stick is kinda like making a fist, my pinky tries to curl under. Could the wrist pain be from my fingers not aligning properly when I hold a stick? Could it just be stiff, even though its been a week now?

handthumbnailhf5.jpg

handholessb9.th.jpg

Exactly. While you had your cast on, you probably experienced some degree of atrophy. Also, if your tendons haven't been under strain, it's possible that you'll need to take a more gradual approach to getting back your strength/conditioning (similar to how a rock climber has to condition the tendons in their fingers before they can hit really small holds, or the tendons will just pop). If it still hurts, try some rehab-type exercises, and most importantly, if it hurts, stop, and make sure to take it slow. Good luck getting back up to speed.

I don't have time or money to be going to a doctors a few times a week. My doctor said i didn't have to take actual therapy and scheduled me to come back in a few weeks for a check up. He said getting my mobility back is the main thing, and ordered me not to play hockey until I can straighten out my hand so that if I fell I could catch myself and not have a finger folded under, which would probobly rebreak it since it is just healed/still healing.

I have a ball to squeeze and thats about it.. I also sit my hand on a smooth surface and place my hand flat down with my fingers together, as well as try to spread them apart like I was going to play that game with a knife. It feels like it is stretching them if you know what I mean, not painful but can feel it. Making a fist is impossible still.

Is there anything else I can do? Obviously I been messing with a hockey stick a little bit, but I dunno if that really helps getting my mobility back.