Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JR Boucicaut

RBK 9K Pump Skate

Product: RBK 9K Pumps

Reviewer specs:

Intro

23 female, 5'7 ish (On my liscence I'm 5'9, though people tell me I'm shorter), 150lbs. On the ice 3-4 times a week during the winter, 2 times a week in the summer. Tier 2 women's and men's C.

Narrow heel, wideish forefoot.

I've had Nike skates (when they first came out) as well as Mission Betty flyweighys. I broke the Nike skates in about 3 weeks, broke the front of the toe and broke the steel. The Mission's didn't last much better seeing as I broke the stabalizer bar in within a month of playing, durability is obviously a big thing for me. I also used the Vector 6.0's.

Fit

I have always worn a size 7 in all of the other skates, except for the Missions which were an 8. I wear a 6 in the RBKs. When I first put them on I knew I would have to get them baked, but that's not a big deal.

They hugged my foot without any pressure points. The pump allows you to tighten the skate around your ankle/heel in just a few seconds. I have a very narrow heel and a wider toe box. The CCMs have always fit me the best, but my ankle would still slide around causing blisters and making it harder to get a good knee bend and cross-overs.

The 9Ks totally fixed the problem.

I tied them really tight around my toebox my first practice and I though my foot was going to fall off. But when I re-laced they were wonderful.

The inside is anti-bacterial and it doesn't absorb any water. This keeps the skates light and keeps them from getting sloppy.

I enjoy the thicker tendon guard. It allows me to transition easier without worrying about bending them, which I am prone to do. Wow, it's nice to be able to control the amount of support you want or need. I know a girl that doesn't ever use the pump where I pump them about 5-6 times to get it the way I want.

Blade/Holder

This has been the biggest problem I have had in skates. I broke the holders of my Mission Betty Flyweights within 2 months. My Vector holders have held up for 2 years and these are the same ones. I really like how CCM/RBK revamped the holders.

I have heard that the blades are weaker because of the steel being perforated, but I haven't had any problems.

Protection

I haven't had any problems at all. I have blocked slapshots from a few different guys and haven't come out worse for wear. They are a bit ripped up around the tendon guard because I tuck my hockey socks under the tendon guards...

WeightThey're light, but not as light as the Easton 1500's. They're not flimsy at all but they don't add to extra fatigue.

Durability

I've had them for a year now and there are some scratches and cosmetic issues (the tendon guards are chewed up from skate blades and the holders are chopped up and the silver pain on the RBK logo is peeling off) but other than that I haven't had an issue. They haven't started breaking down yet...which is a great sign.

Conclusion

I love them. With my superfeet insoles, I can skate for hours, and will. Our women's team, by the end of the season due to injuries and pregnancy only had 6 skaters. It became a looooong season.

Anyway, they fit great and have lasted me well.

Update:

I've had this skates for just about a year now, they look like they've been used for over a year...there are cuts and scratches all over them, but nothing that wrecks the integrity of the skate.

I got heel lifts put in the skates...about 1/2 a centimeter worth. Makes is SO much better.

06 nov 07

Edited by Ti-girl

Product: RBK 9k Pumps Size 8d

Reviewer: 16 years old, playing at Minor AAA/Major AA level, 5-7 times a week. Shoe size 9.5. About 5'8" 140 pounds.

Previous Skates: Recently Easton Synergy 800c size 8.5W. Before that RBK 5k Pumps size 7D.

Fit: I am coming from a skate that was sized WAY wrong for me. Width, length, arch, everything. Rbk's are really the only skates that fit my feet. I've had my fair share of trouble with skates in the last couple of years trying to find something that fits, whether it be Bauer Vapors, Easton Synergys, Missions...Out of the box these skates felt great. The Pump is great. It makes them that much better. No blisters or irritation at all. No complaints whatsoever here.

10/10

Blade/Holder: I'm not very picky at all with my holders. It took a couple ice sessions to get used to these coming from Razor Bladz, but I love them now. The steel holds an edge very well, alot better than Easton's.

9/10

Protection: On the boot, everything is perfect, but the problem for me is on the tongue. It just doesnt seem to do much to protect at all. I've taken a couple pretty hard shots and have definitley felt them. Like I said, the rest of the skate is solid in this department, but not the tongue.

6/10

Weight: Most people seem to make a big deal about the weight of a skate. Sure, I feel it the first couple times with a different skate, but I always get used to it. That was the same case with these. Pretty light-feeling at first, but I have gotten used to them and they have become normal to me.

10/10

Durability: I am coming from the nightmare of the Easton Synergy, so anything seems amazing right now. I've only had them for about a month so I can't really comment on this right now, but I'll be back...

10/10 for now

Conclusion: As I just said, I was previously in some Synergys, and everything went wrong with them, including lace bite, dented in toes, cracked composite, bad fitting, unglueing everywhere on the boot, steel worn down, tenon guards snapping and falling off, holes in the toes, tongue getting rubbed away, you name it, everything. I picked these up and it was a relief to my feet. No pain at all. Overall, I FEEL like a faster skater in these, which is a big part of my game. I can cut faster and harder and seem to have control over my skates. I would recommend these to anyone who is looking for a new pair of skates. Solid skate and worth the money in my opinion

10/10

Update: 7/14-STill in great shape. The steel holds an edge amazingly well. No loss of stiffness or anything. Pump bladder still going strong...

Update #2" 9/15-As some of you saw, I cracked the sole of the skate down the entire thing. They were a month out of warranty but I decided to give RBK a call anyway. They said that this is a top of line skate and that this should not be happening. I ended up with a brand new pair of 9k's from RBK in a week with a full warranty. Props to RBK, thank you very, very much. I will be buying from this company for a while now.

Edited by forsberg91

Product: RBK 9K Pumps

Reviewer specs: Eventually got custom white felt tongues, 2 extra inches for flop purposes.

Intro

16 Male, 5'10, 180-190 depending, Midget AA and reffing

I have been wearing vapor xxx's for a year and a half, ive had 3 pairs the first ones i owned fell apart in less then 90 days and so i was given warranty ones which had the same problem, unfortunately for me it took much longer for my tendon guard to break down so i had to buy new ones but i loved the vapors, i picked up a pair for $349.99 on sale and wore them for half a season before i tried on the white 9k pumps and loved the fit, i bought them. They are probably some of the best skates ive had on, i wore graf g9's which for a long time i considered my favorite but the rbks are just so much lighter, there not as light as the xxx's but there a light skate.

Fit

I always wore a ee wide skate and with my 9k's its no exception, i have a 10.5 ee and they fit me pretty good. It took awhile to figure out how to lace them properly with the lacelock and how much to pump up my skates but the pump is a great feature. Three pushes of the button and my skate fits perfectly, the only problem is my feet are fairly wide all over but there almost like a ducks foot as they get wider the further up you get, so there were a few issues with the skates but i had them punched out and i cant complain, the fit is defiantly versatile because of the pump, chances are they will fit you if you have normal feet. 10/10

Blade/Holder

Not a fan honestly, I couldn't say they were bad for sure but coming off ls2's with a 3mm lift, i miss them. However one bonus is they did hold an edge for a lot longer, there not unlike the graf cobras in performance but the steel is nowhere's near as hard so you'll have to sharpen them more. Good blade/holders, just not what i prefer. 8/10

Protection

The protection is great on these things, I wore them to referee as well as play hockey and ive taken multiple shots off the feet and i felt very little, very pleased with the protection, 10/10.

Durability

Theres a few minor details around the boot like scuffs and stuff but a problem is the tendon guards, i dont know what happened but they for forced back and tore the leather across where they meet the boot, not too bad but still. I'd say a 8/10 considering xxx's wouldn't have lasted me half as long

Conclusion

I dont mind the 9k's at all, the pump is pretty good and it actually does help, i just wish they were a bit wider in the front part of the boot (forefoot i think its called?), im pretty duck footed, also one of my feet is quite a bit bigger, half a size so my next pair are defiantly custom but overall the 9k pumps are a pretty solid skate, there fairly light and last a lot longer then some of the other skates out there today in the same price, i just wish rbk didnt take so long for custom tongues.

HPIM0079.jpg

Edited by Leafsrule16