Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HabsAsap

Hockey stores in New York City

So im going to nyc in a cuple weeks and while im there i wanna try to find a pair of the new white 9k's...they r sold out in montreal so hopefully ill get lucky there....if any1 knows any stores that may have them plz lemme no....thanks alot

I was in NYC for the whole of December, the only shop I could find that was half decent was the pro shop at Chelsea Piers. Very expensive and in general the staff are fairly arrogant and un-helpful. Wait, that was most of the ppl in NYC!!! ;)

Seriously but, you are better off ordering from HockeyGiant, Epuck etc and getting the pack sent to your hotel room, cheaper and easier!

If you're staying strictly within Manhattan, generally the selection sucks and the prices aren't great.

1. Wonderland (the pro shop at the Chelsea Piers rink). It's a pro shop, but the prices are pretty outrageous.

http://www.chelseapiers.com/srwonderland.htm

2. West Side Skate & Stick. Down the street and halfway across town from the rink, it's a small skate sharpening shop that carries a small selection. I don't think they carry some of the bigger names like Bauer or Easton because they're not big enough to make the minimum order.

http://www.wsskate.com

3. Gerry Cosby. Not much of an equipment retailer, they seem to do a lot of bag and uniform sales. It's located right outside MSG, so they probably mostly cater to the crowd buying souvenirs after games. Some of their gear is pretty old (they still carry aluminum Eastons).

http://www.cosbysports.com/

4. Paragon. A general sporting goods store around Union Square that is not dedicated solely to hockey. Their selection isn't too bad for a non-hockey-specific retailer, although they may gutted with only junior sizes left, depending on the time of the year. Their prices are relatively reasonable and they ship free for purchases over $50.

http://www.paragonsports.com

Btw, their website does not necessarily accurately reflect their true inventory. They have the 9Ks listed for $450.

None of the big chain sporting goods stores like Modell's, Sports Authority or City Sports carry any hockey equipment in Manhattan, although I'm not sure about hockey skates. If they did carry skates, they certainly wouldn't carry the 9Ks.

3. Gerry Cosby. Not much of an equipment retailer, they seem to do a lot of bag and uniform sales. It's located right outside MSG, so they probably mostly cater to the crowd buying souvenirs after games. Some of their gear is pretty old (they still carry aluminum Eastons).

http://www.cosbysports.com/

That place is even worse then some of the bad hockey shops in Aus! The guy was trying to sell me a pair of ANCIENT Mission vibes, yuck! But you are right the jersey selection is pretty good. In most cases better then the main MSG Rangers shop.

PS: Tackla goalie pants with suspenders for 50 bucks when I was there.

west side skate gets great reviews, but is very small from what i hear. the chelsea skate shop is ok.

I visited the hockey store that had a lot of Rangers equipment right out of MSG, didnt check for pric, cause most of the stuff was behind a counter, but nonetheless they had nice things for Rangers fans!

Dupes, your talking about Gerry Cosby. They do have great shirts and things, but equipment wise, don't waist your time.

Like most of the previous posts say, if your going to be in just manhattan your kinda shit out of luck for things. Unless your willing to max out your parents or your own credit card(s). I know Sports Plus which is in Queens and Long Island just got in a ton of new stuff like Vapor XXXX's, etc. Check out their website at hockeysportstore.com, if anything email (sportsplusorders@aol.com) or call them and let them know what your looking for and stuff. If they have it at any of their stores, they can get it brought into the Queens location which is the most accessible from Manhattan.

I worked at Cosby's about 7 years ago, the only new stuff we got back then was Skates, Helmets and some random protective (shoulders, shins, etc). I'd be willing to bet some of the stuff from when I worked their is still around. I remember the Devils equipment guy gave them a pair of Easton Pro 4400 gloves to sell, they had them marked at like $200 and as soon as someone asked about them and heard that price they were like no thanks. Funny thing about them, I stopped in this year before a Rangers game with my brother who worked their about 23 years ago and he pointed out a stick on the rack that had to be from when he was there.

Gerry Cosby used to have a nice pro shop back in Princeton. My guess is that the MSG store used to sell stuff and then they realized that nobody goes there to buy gear, just Rangers gifts.

Back in the wood stick days, Cosby's used to rule for getting gi woods. Every once in awhile they get some nice sticks in but once you see the prices....... And speaking of aluminum, if they would only negotiate on the price of that easton convex aluminum, I'd prob buy it off of them!

If there are any Gretzky collectors in NYC, Cosby's has a Junior Sized Titan Gretzky wood stick that has got to be 25 years old back in the stick section.

if you're willing to traven out of manhattan, to long island, you can take the LIRR to the amityville train stop & go to amity harbor sports. best hockey place on long island really.

if ur gonna be in brooklyn at all they have a Wonderland Sports (like the one in chelsea) on 11th ave & 66th st, they have a pretty decent selection at decent prices

I don't know if they still do but paragon used to price match other printed advertised prices provided they both had the same size and model in stock.

I've never been to any of the shops to be able to compare, but I met the owners of Westside Skate at a couple of the tradeshows. Without a doubt, just really nice guys. The type of people I would patronize, because they seem like they would be very helpful.

I've never been to any of the shops to be able to compare, but I met the owners of Westside Skate at a couple of the tradeshows. Without a doubt, just really nice guys. The type of people I would patronize, because they seem like they would be very helpful.

Tru dat. I've only been a few times, but they're both decent fellas who will take the time to shoot the sh*t with their customers (usually one a time since the other one will be working on skates).

From what I understand, one of the owners ran the skate sharpening business out of the apartment he lived in with his girlfriend before they got their current place a few blocks away.

--------

Btw, I just stopped by Cosby's today out of curiousity. No more aluminums!

They've got a lot of Sher-Wood pads, Tackla gloves, and pants that are probably at least over 10 years old.

I didn't see any 9Ks, but they did have what looked like first generation Vapors.

Also notable, they have Easton shinnies from back in their orange and black days.

The place might be fun to go to if you're into looking at some discontinued stuff.