Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any mountain bikers on this board?

hey, what the hell do you guys use/how do you wash your bikes?

I do alot of biking at my cottage and for the most part, Im a filthy mess after each ride. I usually hose off my bike and let it dry in the sun but I find my chain gets pretty rusty (plenty of minerals in cottage lake water maybe?). Im not a scientist so I figured Id just ask the best way to care for a bike that gets muddy/filthy often.

<-------view from my cottage dock...love it up there

I do alot of biking at my cottage and for the most part, Im a filthy mess after each ride. I usually hose off my bike and let it dry in the sun but I find my chain gets pretty rusty (plenty of minerals in cottage lake water maybe?). Im not a scientist so I figured Id just ask the best way to care for a bike that gets muddy/filthy often.

Nice view.

Washing is a good idea; over time, dirt left on your bike will get into your components and wear them down prematurely. I usually get a bucket filled with mild soap (I like stuff from Pedros) and a sponge, and get the big chunks off the frame first. Use an old toothbrush to clean out your cassette and chainrings and rinse. Then wash the wheels (it's up to you if you want to remove them first). Use the toothbrush again to clean your chain. Rinse your bike but make sure to avoid spraying water near any of the seals (fork, bottom bracket, headset, etc). Dry the frame, dry the chain. Lubricate your chain. It'll only take 5-10 minutes, and your bike will ride smoother and last longer.

I really regret opening this thread. I'm in the market for a new bike and knowing nothing about bikes I would've been more than happy to go to my local Walmart & pick a Schwinn or Mongoose off the rack. Now, not so much. *sigh*

I bought my Rocky Mountain Vertex 50 (with Team Canada colors) last year, I did some a couple of times but I was mostly busy with work. This summer I get 2 months off so I might do alot more. I wanna buy some new handlebars though, mine are too narrow.

I really regret opening this thread. I'm in the market for a new bike and knowing nothing about bikes I would've been more than happy to go to my local Walmart & pick a Schwinn or Mongoose off the rack. Now, not so much. *sigh*

I rode the crap out of my Schwinn I pulled off of the rack at Target. I had been saving for a decent bike, but unexpected expenses and going carless left with little choice than a dept. store bike. The only thing that failed was a bottom bracket bearing retaining ring, which isn't even necessary. I was planning on just going with free bearings, but a new bearing setup was only $5, so I just went with it.

Anywho, I commuted 30 miles round trip for about 6 months with the odd trail hit here in Utah, which has some epic trails. I also did a 3 day mini tour pulling a kiddy trailer loaded with camping gear. That was about a 120 mile round trip not including the trail riding at my destination.

If you can swing a good brand, definitely go for it. But not all dept. store bikes are the death trap they're made out to be. The full "suspensions" are a joke and only add weight, but hey... saves my tail bone on my long commute. I pretty much "lock" out my rear for mt. biking. The front disk mine came with could be better, but it works well in wet/muddy conditions.

Nice view. I wash mine at least once a week and maybe more depending on bad it gets. On my weekly wash, I soak my chain in mineral sprites or simple green for a while and shake it up in a old 2 liter bottle. I'll take a wire brush to it if there's still gunk. I then soak it in a combo of mineral sprites and motor oil as a lube. the sprites evaporates relatively quickly leaving the oil. It does get dirtier over time than a dry lube, but it works well. I'm going to try a dry lube this season.

Clean your drivetrain each and every time you use. Nothing worse than a group ride with someone who does not take care of his/her shite and we spend 50% time making trail side repairs

Clean your drivetrain each and every time you use. Nothing worse than a group ride with someone who does not take care of his/her shite and we spend 50% time making trail side repairs

Or having to listen to their un-attended to machine squeak, clank, and clatter during the course of a 6 hour ride. The only thing that I want to hear during my ride is the natural surroundings, and the low thrum of my tires on the hardpack.

thanks for the replies guys,

I had another question - It looks like soap and water will do the trick after each ride...but should I be applying dry lube after each wash? Seems like a waste/expensive

also, Im having trouble with my rear brake pads. I took it in to get tuned at the start of the year but the guy I took it to made it too tight and the rear wheel couldnt spin without rubbing up against the inserts. Then after maybe loosening that wire (no idea what its called) less than a mm, I barely had any stopping power. Is there anything I can buy/do to get a better balance between rubbing the inserts and no stopping power? Is it normal to have it rub? a little? alot?

Hi Guys,

I work in a bike over here in the UK called Bike and Run (Plug for the UK members).

RE Platypus, you can try to get some stuff called Muc Off but tbh soapy water will be fine, and yes you do have to dry lube after washing. The easiest way to this is with a product call GT85 (NOT WD40).

Regarding the rear pads, have you tried making sure that the cable has not pulled further or stretched through use? Make sure the brake pads are alligned properly on your rim and fnally make sure your wheel is true and not over dished to one side. The little screws at the bottm of the calipers can be used to adjust the release pressure either side of the v brakes.

RE the 29 inch questions a few pages back - you WILL notice a difference in handling throught the tight singletrack sections.

And for all you single speeders - go for a fixie! ive got a genesis flyer set up with an 81" gear for commuting on and im in the process of building up a fixie singletrack bike. I think i might go for a smaller gear though......

Went on my first trail ride this morning. Rode the yellow trail at Gambrill Mtn in Frederick, MD. Probably a little over my head for a first ride but it went well overall. It rained all night so it was wet & sloppy. Very rocky trail with a lot of tough hills. I only wrecked once after jumping a drop off in the trail. Front tire slid out from under me as I tried to make a left turn after landing.

I felt a lot of the times like I was struggling but actually caught some more experienced riders from behind so my pace must've been better than I thought. They must've thought I was something. They were decked out in the full spandex bike gear - me in khaki shorts, sweatshirt & a Mission Carbster helmet :lol:

Saba, I see now what you were talking about with the 29'er. I can see where a taller tire would help getting over obstacles. Several times I almost endo'd when my bike just stopped dead in it's tracks on a rock or log. Tightening up the spring rate on the forks helped but it was still sketchy at times.

Overall fun day. Will do again. B)

The shed is some of the toughest riding around. You will get mad skills if you keep workin it. Come down to Schaffer some day when its not pouring and we will spin some dirt or maybe we can meet at Greenbrier. Glad your spinning wheel though

nice to see how many mountain bikers are on msh. well were at it i might as well:

Pretty sick ride, got it to about 28 lbs. and it has 6" of travel

Scott Ransom SL frame

DT Swiss 240 wheels

Sram X-0/XTR drive train

Avid Juicy Ultimate brakes

Truvative Noir Crank

Marzocchi SL2 Fork

Stans notubes with kenda nevegal tires

Selle Itallia seat

I've honestly never really been a big fan of Scott bikes.....but that Ransom does have a good look to it. Never thrown a leg over it though. ;)

yeah its a pretty sick ride. i can still keep up with my dad when he goes out on his lightspeed, but then i can hit up some down hill with my buddies too. its a good mix for everything.

I'm an MTBer just moved from Scotland to Vancouver which meant selling my old 2" XC hardtail in favour of a Norco Six-Two 6" Light FreeRide rig but man do you need it round here, I felt like I was going to snap the XC Hardtail on some of these local trails!

Norco is a great brand, and good with the pricing of their bikes, thanks to their distribution of components...I'm a Norco guy to the end!

Hey all,

I just found out I tore my ACL again and am going under the knife in a wk and a half. With physical therapy last time they put me on a bike for a good half of the rehabbing. I just bought a road bike a few months back for triathlons/racing and that's obviously out of the picture so I'd like to use it for rehabbing this time around but I'm not sure what kind of trainer to use. Anyone have any suggestions as far as what kind of trainer to buy?

If you are still in the market .. I use the minoura trainer before. The reason i bought it is because the resistance is put on the rim rather the tire. there is a cable on there that helps vary the resistance on the fly too.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/traine...372_153crx.aspx

dry the chain and lube it up. This stuff works well

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/Lube/r...352_131crx.aspx

At last......que the Etta James

Upgraded wheelset to Zipp 404 Clydesdales and shifters to Record. Amazin comfort and handling increase. Bike is more precise going up and down and more comfortable handling wise

Upgraded wheelset to Zipp 404 Clydesdales and shifters to Record. Amazin comfort and handling increase. Bike is more precise going up and down and more comfortable handling wise

I googled the Clydesdales.

Holy crap those Clydesdales look nice.. I can only imagine how stiff they must feel when in a deep turns.

Are the shifters any improvement?

Some damn nice wheels you got there. Just how heavy are you going with the Clydes?

Personally, and I know that I am biased on this one, I am not a composite wheel guy. On a training ride out of UT we climbed Mt Mitchell and on the way down his wheel delaminated apparently due to heat from the brakes and looked like a birds nest around the rear brake and he crashed....hard....hard enough to shear his femur. Carbon wheels intrigue me.....but I'll stick with my Ksyrium's. They are bombproof, light enough, and stiff.

Norco and Rocky Mountain make some of the hottest "trail" bikes out there. And by trail.....I mean the North Shore and Bampf of course. ;)

I wouldn't put Rocky and Norco in the same breath, Norco makes good bikes for a good price but the craftmanship and detail that goes into even rockys price point bikes is unparalelled. Their high end bikes are hand welded in canada, every process of each bike is personally signed off on, top models wheel's are hand built and every one of their bikes even if made in taiwan are shipped to canada for assembly.