Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Matthew

What pads are good and affordable?

I am thinking of getting new pads, but i cant spend to much money on them because im not rich like all off you people :P . What are good pads to get that arnt to expensive. I was thinking of Eagle pads, or Itech prodigy. What's your opinion???? and what will last longer???

I would go with smith pads. they are high quality, good for any level of hockey, and also they arent too expensive. My old eagles just fell apart, after two seasons.

honestly???...i heard they were good...the new senry;s look nice but i dont know how expensive they are.

Also, i heard that Smith was like a wanna be company.

I really want a name brand i guess you can say. :P

srrryy i forgot to mention its for ice...my baddd.....but i play player for ball hockey leauge and my goalie wears missions...he says there great...!

honestly???...i heard they were good...the new senry;s look nice but i dont know how expensive they are.

:o Thats an insult

Smiths pads are great, I will give you $1000 if you find a comapny who makes better pads.

Yeah really /\

Here's what you do...figure out what you wanna spend and go to a store and look to see what's in your price range. Then try them on!

Whoever told you Smith was a 'wannabe company' is an idiot, and should be ignored on matters of equipment forever. Pete Smith designed the Velocity for Vaughn. Tim Thomas was wearing Smith pads in the NHL last year.

Smith pads *are* a name brand among people who know goaltending equipment..

Missions are a long, LONG way below Smith in terms of design and craftsmanship. If you're going to beat them up playing ball hockey, get a cheap pair of Missions. If you're going to play ice or roller and want a top-quality pad that'll last you for years, you can't go wrong with Smith.

Personally, I prefer a different style of pad, but I've yet to hear anyone say a bad word about a Smith pad who had any idea what they were talking about.

edit: I should point out that I'm not implying Missions are cheap pads. They're a very good pad at that price point(s). They are not, however, a custom-made pad by one of the legends in the goalie gear industry, if you take my meaning. It's like comparing an RBK 8K (which is, again, a perfectly good Sr.-level pad) to something that was hand-made by Michel Lefebvre himself.

To go back to the OP, Eagle makes excellent pads in a variety of styles. I'd suggest trying them on, if possible. I'd also suggest checking out some of the deals to be had on the Sherwood C-10 and Bauer Supreme Pro, which are both pro-level pads (albeit very different designs) that are going for $400-$600 on clearance on the net these days.

Style that you play? Level that you play? Pads that you have used that you felt worked for you? Many variables in the equation. If you just want a "brand" name, then save your pennies and buy a pair of RBKs.

::m

Thats like a slap in the face :(

on goaliemonkey.com they have

Bauer Pro Supreme & Special Edition Pro Leg Pads for $600 which looks pretty good, and also the koho 680 are a good pad even thoe they have been around for awhile

dude i know a kid who has smiths and my rbk premier 2 pro beat them ne day

yea if your not lookin to spend a lot of money, smith, simmons, or mckenney are probably the way to go. Those 3 brands aren't like the vaughn's and rbk's of the hockey world but their pads are just as well made. and for half the price

Like how much money do you want to spend on new pads? Cause Sentry's and Prodigy's are not the cheapest pads! They are about 1300 new, well the 07 models.

If you want to spend like 1000 try Vipers, they have the lightest pad on the market at 3.85 plbs!! They are a quality company, and will mod anything you want.

http://www.viperhockey.net/ hopefully they will make my next pads!!

:P my badd for sayin that smith was a wanna be company i never said they were, thats what ppl i know have told me. i also know that the guy srom smith designed the vaughn pads. i must say Smith pads do look nice, but were i am from (toronto) i've only seen 1 goalie wear them, so i figured that they werent a big company... :D

If your in Toronto, I suggest taking a ride down to Fort Erie to the Don Simmons store.

My friend recently picked up a new blocker, catcher, and armor, and had a great experience there. He told them the budget he had, and they worked with him to get some solid gear.

Dude. deff go with Bauer Supreme Pro. Since Bauer is Nike now or whatever, they´re not making Bauer Supreme pros anymore. so theyre dirt cheap on hockey giant. i paid $300 for PRO pads. theyre unbeleivable. B)

I played against a guy for five years that had Smith pads. He had them for at least the five years that I knew him and he used them at least 5 games every week. If you washed the puck marks off of them they still looked new. The quality, protection and workmanship of Smith pads is something that is unsurpassed, even in the biggest companies. Because he is a small company, he takes the time to make sure everything is perfect before he sends it out, therefore, his customers benefit from a superior product. Trust me, if you go with Smith pads you will not be disappointed.

I agree with you all about Smith Hockey. I've heard amazing things about Pete's equipment and customer service. His new 5000 line is sweeeeeeeet! They're unlike anything on the market right now.

If you're in T.O., you might want to consider Vortek. You can order from them through The Goalie Crease in Richmond Hill:

Vortek Sponsored Board

I've tried on their gloves, and they have a very "Velo" feel to them. Not sure about the pads, unfortunately. I've read some nice reviews about their durability and rotation, though. Plus, it's a private company so you can get custom pads for hundreds of dollars less than brands names such as Vaughn or Reebok.

:o Thats an insult

Smiths pads are great, I will give you $1000 if you find a comapny who makes better pads.

How about TPS. When i was a goalie, i tried smiths on and HATED them. I got TPS Summit Pro Stock instead.

the smith pads are a good pad of price but he did not create the velocity pad on his own, him and mike vaughn designed the pads together since mike does all the pad designs. If you did look at the vorteks go to the goalie crease and ask for a guy named jerret rooney he knows his stuff. But other than that RBK 8K pad is very nice and so is the itech 7.8 pad those are decent quality pads for a good vaule

i cant beleave you insulted smith there awsome and will practicly make a pad just for you. not like rbk where there all the same except for the pros.

hockey giant has vapor xxx pads for 500. i dont care the pads but if you do thats a great deal