Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

trajik78

Outdoor Stick Help

well, i cracked the bottom of my cheap-o Easton Octane shaft. not sure what caused it, possibly my heating it too much when replacing a blade, playing with it when the blade got a bit loose, using a Koho blade that might not have fit properly, or just a cheap cruddy shaft...probably a combination.

anyways. im kind of debating waht would be the most cost effective way to go about an outdoor stick. i saw an outdoor wood stick here:

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=KC21FS

that goes for like $30. figure if i just buy a couple and one breaks i always have another one, plus they have an ABS blade, so it should last a while. that would kind of keep cost down, saying i don't kill another shaft and don't go through blades quickly.

or, buy a nice $50-$70 shaft that will hopefully last a bit longer than the Octane did, and just buy a couple blades...but that's more expensive...

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I personally am considering the Mission Z2 for outdoor use, hockeymonkey has the shaft and two blades for $59.99. Not a great shaft from what I have read, but for $60 it should be fine for our door (ab)use.

thanks. as a shaft/stick goes the longer the better...im 6'2" and have been using a 6" extension which feels right after using nothing at all on the Easton i had...

__EDIT__

well, just went to the local dudes at Westside Skate & Stick and walked out spending too much money on a Ballistik 45 Calibur shaft and a Reebok 1K MS blade. good for hockey bad for wallet.

Koho crossover, big curve, or C21 are all good outdoor blades. Keep in mind, Trajik78 that the Koho 2260 C21 stick you are showing is a wooden shaft but the blade is ABS, with a wood core.

I also like the CCM V20 and think that is one of the better blades for me, you can get that at hockey.lax.com

Good luck.

quick question, one of my leagues is an outside rink, can you use any abs blade outside or no?

Yes. But what kind of surface is it? Some ABS blades will chew up on asphalt, but I hope you're not playing on Asphalt. *grin*

as far as i've notice any blade is gonna chew up on asphalt (which im playing on unfortunately.) a straight ABS blade seems to be the best for durabilities sake, although it a bit heavier than a wood/ABS blade.

was using a KOHO wood/ABS blade and wore thin at the heel pretty quick since the ABS layer isnt that thick. i just got a Reebok 1K blade (mid curve) and it seems to be holding up ok. think its just part of life playing outdoor hockey...gonna end up replacing blades a lot, especially on asphalt.

I find ABS blades to not be that much better (if at all) compared to wood on outdoor surfaces. I usually play with a cut down OPS as a shaft and just find some Easton 1000 (i think that's what they are called) wood blades for $15 a pop or so and use those.

I find ABS blades to not be that much better (if at all) compared to wood on outdoor surfaces. I usually play with a cut down OPS as a shaft and just find some Easton 1000 (i think that's what they are called) wood blades for $15 a pop or so and use those.

well, ABS won't splinter the bottom like a wood blade will on an outdoor rink.

i used the crossover for a few years for my outdoor league, i wanted to get away from that blade but it seems like thats the only decent outdoor blade. i just yesterday bought an easton octane from modells for 40 bucks just because i dont want to ruin my good equipment outside, and i have to say for a piece of crap it was not bad shooting around last night. now this shaft is nowhere neer the mission ion that i have but it will do for the fall league in my outdoor league. quick ?? do you think i should just stick with the crossover or do you have any other sugg.

seeing as the octane is a brick, it should work fine mated to the crossover.

Any decent shaft is rendered blade-heavy and damn near useless by the crossover, which is why I use Wood blades outdoors.

for something a little lighter and still durable, try a RBK 1K or even the newer 3K, or ccm Vector 2.0 (same as V20)

im using the Reebok 1k with the Ballistik 45 Caliber and its blade heavy, not terrible, but noticeable, just the way it's gonna be with durable ABS blades. but whatever...just gotta get out there and play, and hopefully have a blade/shaft that can take a bit of wear and tear.

I started using (a week ago) a TPS XN10 Redlite with a RBK 3K blade in there. So far through about 6 hours of playing at my rink, so good. I'll keep you updated if I run into any problems.

I started using (a week ago) a TPS XN10 Redlite with a RBK 3K blade in there. So far through about 6 hours of playing at my rink, so good. I'll keep you updated if I run into any problems.

your playing outdoor with that blade?

I am so far. I'm not too heavy on using a slap shot much.....most of my play is wrist and snap shot, so I don't have too much downward force impacts on the blade. So far....so good. I'll keep you posted if I run into any trouble with it though.