Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Drewhunz

Trilage TZ4

Product: Trilage TZ4

Flex: 200 (110 on Easton scale)

Curve: Daley pro (Modano pro)

Previous Sticks: Easton Stealth, Mission Fuel 120, TPS Adrenaline Control

User/Use: 6'4" 270 lbs. Play 2-4 times per week. Wing/some D

Blade: The quality of construction of the blade is one of the best I've seen. While I've noticed the quality of RBK/CCM blades has been slipping with a somewhat looser weave matrix as well as shoddy clear coat application on the blade itself, the Trilage is smoothly finished and has an extremely tight carbon weave. I primarily play wing so I take quite a few shots and kicks off of the blade but to no ill effects. In the 4 or so months I've used it there is no laminate separation or chips. 9/10

Shaft/Flex: The glaring weak point and the biggest selling point of the stick. A Trilage stick is like nothing you've ever felt. Constructed like a piece of elbow maccaroni, these sticks are specifically made for righties or lefties. Used with the concave portion facing away from the player, it supposedly applies some voodoo magic to each and every shot or pass. Unfortunately, I can't stand the feel of it. Exceptionally thin to begin with at nearly junior like dimensions, the convex/concave additions make the stick feel very small in your hands tending to make you grip on the shaft tighter than necessary. This along with your fingers resting in the convex recess your lower wrist is essentially locked. Unfortunately, until you learn to adjust your body mechanics, you will not get the puck off the ground to save your life. I shouldn't have to change my form just to use a stick. 3/10

Feel: Hard to pinpoint. While the blade has good feel, there is an awkwardness to the use of the stick. Instead of the customary "soft hands" used to cup and cradle a puck you need "soft elbows". Although I never make any allusions to having perfect form, a Trilage requires enough manipulation on form in the upper body to seriously wonder if it is worth it to adjust. Then, it hits you. Like the typical hack golfer, once you get one good shot with it you will come back to it just to attempt to duplicate the last shot. When everything happens just right, you can launch some absolute cannons with this thing. The soncave shaft face allows for a near perfect follow through which in turn led to the puck spin off the face. Unfortunately, with such a touchy stick I just can't see having to have 20 bad shots to get one good one. When you can get better perfoemance for the same price, this stick isn't worth the trouble. 4/10

Weight: The strong point. With the whole arm being used as the fulcrum point instead o the wrists, it becomes a feather. Balance is ok off the ice, but when the time comes to put it through it's paces, you'll never complain about poor balance. Since this particular stick came in nearly 5" longer than stock, a plug was not necessary thus putting this within 10-20 grams of Stealth territory. 9/10

Durability: No problems thus far. Has taken a relative beating and comes back asking for more. Paint, and blade chipping are non-existant except for a skate cut on the toe of the blade. Although the blade seems as it could break at any minute, I think that if it hasn't already barring abuse it's not going to spectacularly fail. Good job here. 9/10

Intangibles: Simple, you will either love or hate the shaft shape of this stick. As I have rather large hands, I hate it with a passion unless I am doing well with it that night. Then I'll deal with it until I get cold. Your experiences may vary. 6/10

Conclusion: This is a solid stick at a sonmewhat high price. If you are a tinkerer or take joy in exactly pinpointing your form you may love this. However as a bender, I don't want to continuously be frustrated at a piece of easily changed equipment. It it very much a Jeckyll and Hyde stick. Treat your form right and you will be rewarded. Play sloppy and with poor form and you may well use a broom handle and a Mylec plastic blade. 6/10

Overall: This stick was able to produce a very accurate and consistant shot, however the feel of the shaft design somewhat limited the appeal of the stick for me when I put it into my hands. While the performance is on par with the higher level sticks on the market, the concessions that are to be made in order to gain the full potential of the stick further limit its appeal. While each new stick requires you to learn the sweet spots of the blade face and the kickpoint on the shaft, I don't find it necessary to relearn body mechanics in order to use a stick that is comporable to other performance biased sticks on the market. Although I would like to give it a higher rating than I did, I feel that it is important to make absolutely clear the work that needs to be done to extract every ounce of force into your shot. 7/10